Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
vdevan
vdevan began at the beginning.

Device: BEBook
Glyph Substitution of Unicode character

Hi!
Let me congratulate you on a best OI OS you have come up with. I would be happy to contribute, but my programming is limited to Windows. Though, I am willing to learn Linux programming.

Meanwhile, I thought I would contribute monetarily. I will send USD 25.00 through Paypal as my appreciation to the excellent work you guys are doing.

I have a small problem. The OS does not do proper glyph substitution of Unicode fonts. I am not sure if this is rendering of Freetype fonts or FB reader. (Cool reader does not even work with Unicode). I downloaded FBReader for Windows and checked. The rendering seems to be ok. But then it could be because, Windows GUI could do this - though not sure.

For Testing, here is a script in Tamil - my mothertongue:
தெரித்தோய்
- though it means nothing, without glyph substitution this will be something like this
ெத ிர ோதய் (I left some space to ensure that you would know what I mean).
If the above characters are just squares for you, then you may have to enable "Install files for Complex Script and right-to-left languages (including Thai) under "Regional and Language Options" in control panel

Can you guys check this? If there is a unicode parsing program you are using maybe, I can check that up, or if you have fixed it or help me in anyway, point me in the right direction, I will be happy.

Thanks.
Vasudevan.
http://www.kamban.com.au
Old 07-18-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Looks like necessary Pango modules are not installed. Please open a ticket with a testcase, to ensure that bug won't be forgotten accidentally.
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
vdevan
vdevan began at the beginning.

Device: BEBook
Thanks DottedMag. I will open a ticket. Meanwhile, if there is anything I can do to contribute or look into this issue, let me know. I am happy to do this in my spare time.
But you will have to point me in the right direction as I am more of a Windows programmer than Linux.