Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
brockman
brockman began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Sony ereader & Mac OSX

Hello I am new here and wonder if you can all help me.

I have just been given a sony ereader and I have a mac OSX.

I have downloaded calibre onto my mac and I have bought an ebook from WH Smith. although I can get the book into calibre - I am unable to get the book into the ereader. does anybody out there have any information that can help me - I would be really grateful.

Thankyou
brockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockman View Post
I have just been given a sony ereader and I have a mac OSX.

I have downloaded calibre onto my mac and I have bought an ebook from WH Smith.
Welcome to the Forum the first is on the house.

This is an international forum and WH Smith only operates in the UK. So to get maximum help you have to tell us a bit on the WH Smith eBooks. Which format do they use and is DRM applied or not are the most important infos we need.

Regards

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello brockman, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome white.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	32726 to the forum.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you with your dilemma.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi brockman and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony has nothing to do with eReader.

It's a Sony READER.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Hi brockman,

Which model Sony is it? PRS-505 or PRS-700?

I'd recommend posting in one of the Calibre forums on this. I seem to remember there were some issues with calibre and Sonys. If all else fails you should be able to get calibre to save the book you've loaded into calibre as a .lrf (via the Output selection). Then plug the Sony into the Mac and it should appear, just as a USB key or disk would. I think you can then copy the file direct onto the Sont and it will all work. (But I don't have a mac..)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, brockman!

Sony Ebook Library software has only recently become compatible with Mac's. This THREAD may help you. If not, please post your question again in either the Sony 500/505 forum or the Sony 700 forum depending upon which one you have. I know there are Sony and Mac owners there who will be able to help. Also the format of the book you purchased from your ebook store is an important piece of information to include in your post. It makes a big difference in how you handle the file. Good luck.

Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you purchase books from WH Smiths, you have to use Adobe Digital Editions to download the books. You also have to register your device with Adobe Digital Editions. Once those two steps are done, you can use calibre to put the downloaded .epub file onto your reader. Note that the file extension of a downloaded book is .epub not .acsm.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
brockman

Sony E Reader and Mac 0SX 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
When you purchase books from WH Smiths, you have to use Adobe Digital Editions to download the books. You also have to register your device with Adobe Digital Editions. Once those two steps are done, you can use calibre to put the downloaded .epub file onto your reader. Note that the file extension of a downloaded book is .epub not .acsm.
Thankyou so much for your response. However I have downloaded adobe digital editions and registered it in my name I have tried all 3 of the files including epub. The book is there - (in fact I am reading it on the computer)it has gone into Digital editions and it appears to be in the Calibre programme - however it just will not transfer to the Sony ereader. it is model PRS 505. Everytime I try to download it into the ereader a window comes up saying
"Cannot convert "When the Lion Feeds" as this book has no supported formats" - I am not sure what that means or what to do. However I do change the format next to the red heart in the Calibre programme and it still wont transfer.

If you or anyone out there can help me further - I will be grateful - I thank you for trying for me - as no one seems to be able to help. It seems very strange that the Sony is not compatible with the Sony ereader - I think I will have to return it much as I would love to keep it.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
brockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hello its me again - really trying hard to get to the bottom of this problem - i have just tried again in the calibre to download the ebook to the sony ereader and the latest thing that came up on the computer was as follows:-
'list' object has no attribute 'set_next_id'

Detailed traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/__init__.pyo", line 159, in dispatch
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 692, in books_uploaded
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 184, in add_books_to_metadata
File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 447, in add_books_to_metadata
File "calibre/devices/prs505/books.pyo", line 418, in fix_ids
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'set_next_id'
Does that mean anything to you ?

Thanks again
Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockman View Post
Hello its me again - really trying hard to get to the bottom of this problem - i have just tried again in the calibre to download the ebook to the sony ereader and the latest thing that came up on the computer was as follows:-
'list' object has no attribute 'set_next_id'

Detailed traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/__init__.pyo", line 159, in dispatch
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 692, in books_uploaded
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 184, in add_books_to_metadata
File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 447, in add_books_to_metadata
File "calibre/devices/prs505/books.pyo", line 418, in fix_ids
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'set_next_id'
Does that mean anything to you ?

Thanks again
I am no expert, but I have the Sony PRS-505 and a Mac. I had to plug the Sony in the Windows machine initially after I installed the Adobe Digital Editions, so the Sony would be acknowledged (sorry don't know what term they use). This was one time only. Then when I installed ADE on the Mac, and used the same process with the same ID (I can't explain it any better manybe someone else can).

Then since my books were DRM, I still have to download and transfer them on the Windows machine. BUT good news Sony is making a Mac version in maybe another month, so it will be so much better.

It sounds like yours is DRM, you didn't say. If so that is your problem. Otherwise Calibre would see your Sony when you plugged it in. But Calibre can not work with DRM books.

Hope this helps.
new is offline   Reply With Quote