Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Alex start a Jetbook Forum?
Yes, C'mon Alex!! 90 79.65%
No 14 12.39%
I'd like to follow the results 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #61
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Well, in the "Other Devices" forum - where such posts should go, there have been a total of three posts made about Jetbooks in the last week. There's probably been a few others that would have gone there if placed properly.

That hardly warrants its own forum.

Not everything needs its own forum or should have it. When Jetbook traffic gets obnoxious enough that it is evident it needs one, then it should get one.
79.69% of voters have different opinion...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #62
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That's perfectly fine that they do. I was just pointing out why aside from people wanting their own little space, it's not really something all that practical to have or at all needed.

Of course, hardly any (if any) of them would actually have to DO anything in such a situation. It's great to want things that doesn't require anything from you.

I'd like a nice house on the beach, myself.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #63
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Just buy it
Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #64
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Well, in the "Other Devices" forum - where such posts should go, there have been a total of three posts made about Jetbooks in the last week. There's probably been a few others that would have gone there if placed properly.

That hardly warrants its own forum.

Not everything needs its own forum or should have it. When Jetbook traffic gets obnoxious enough that it is evident it needs one, then it should get one.

Quote:
That's perfectly fine that they do. I was just pointing out why aside from people wanting their own little space, it's not really something all that practical to have or at all needed.

Of course, hardly any (if any) of them would actually have to DO anything in such a situation. It's great to want things that doesn't require anything from you.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #65
DrBen
Landed Gentry
DrBen began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro - Maroon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
DrBen,
I've never tried reading the jetBook (or pbooks!) in bright sunshine since that would give me a headache in any case, but there are many threads with screenshots of the jetBook together with eink readers in varying levels of light. Lowlight reading is quite acceptable though - even at levels where eink would need additional lighting (so I have read).
Battery is not user replaceable. But I haven't heard of any problems with the supplied battery.
Bed, Bath and Beyond sells them in many of their stores ($200 including the 20% off coupon).
Excellent portability.
Available today (I'm not certain of the Astak 5" availability date).

No you'll never be 100% happy or sad with any choice - there are pros and cons to all of the current devices - and that elusive ideal device is always promised to be coming in the not-too-distant future (as yet to be exactly named).
Thanks so much for your ideas. I went to the Bed, Bath and Beyond around the corner from me. Even though the jetbook is currently right on the front page of their website, my local store doesn't stock it for me to check it out. Oh well. Thanks for the great tip, though. Meantime, I'm going to check out the Astak theads and ee if Robert is giving any ieas on when the 5 inch model will be released, and TRY to make up my mind already.

Thanks again,

Ben
DrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #66
DrBen
Landed Gentry
DrBen began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro - Maroon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Hi DrBen,

Portability is the key issue for me too. JetBook is the smallest among available e-book readers. You can test it in BB&B stores. I read jetBook very often inside and outside and TFT screen looks good for me in both cases.

You can find more information about jetBook on this page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47377
Kris777,

I appreciate your response, and especially all your other posts that I have found very helpful in educating myself about the jetbook.

Thanks so much,

Ben
DrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #67
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBen View Post
Even though the jetbook is currently right on the front page of their website, my local store doesn't stock it for me to check it out. Oh well.
Ben
From what I read, BB&B has a very good cash-back return policy. You could just order one and try it out for yourself at home with a variety of books - and return it if you are not satisfied. When my mother bought one for me as a gift at a Chicago-area BB&B, it was not in stock. But they will get one for you (it took one week to deliver to the house - would have been even faster to pick it up at the store).

Since I live in Europe, please double-check this info for yourself before purchasing! Don't forget to use the -20% coupon!

Last edited by rgeorg; 06-14-2009 at 02:55 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #68
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Well I have just purchased a jetbook so I would like my own forum now! Please don't make us mingle with the great unwashed mass in the "other" devices forum. I'm sure there are more Jetbook threads than there are for the "Polymer Vision Radius" (31) and the STAReBOOK (34).

Would it really be so horrible to add a forum for each reader as it comes along? Having an individual forum helps to foster a community and support for that device. When it it just gets thrown into a jumble of other things then it gets ignored. I'm no forum guru but I'm pretty sure creating a new forum section is not resource intensive. I'm sure the forum software is user-friendly enough that a complete beginner could do it in a matter of minutes.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #69
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Well I have just purchased a jetbook so I would like my own forum now! Please don't make us mingle with the great unwashed mass in the "other" devices forum. I'm sure there are more Jetbook threads than there are for the "Polymer Vision Radius" (31) and the STAReBOOK (34).

Would it really be so horrible to add a forum for each reader as it comes along? Having an individual forum helps to foster a community and support for that device. When it it just gets thrown into a jumble of other things then it gets ignored. I'm no forum guru but I'm pretty sure creating a new forum section is not resource intensive. I'm sure the forum software is user-friendly enough that a complete beginner could do it in a matter of minutes.
Thank you for your input, Canuck and Welcome to the Club! I'm sure you
did the right choice . What color is your jetBook and how soon you will get it?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #70
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got the white one from New Egg for $199. Black was also $199 but it didn't have free shipping for some reason. It should get to my contact in the US by Friday who will then send it to me in Japan.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #71
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
I got the white one from New Egg for $199. Black was also $199 but it didn't have free shipping for some reason. It should get to my contact in the US by Friday who will then send it to me in Japan.
I hope you will get it soon! My wife has white color jetBook and she likes it a lot
Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 AM   #72
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

I managed to get another 25 bucks off (missed the $169 deal by like 2 days). Oh and technically, according to the forum description, we shouldn't even be posting in the "other devices" forum.

According to its definition:

Quote:
Handhelds, ultra-mobile PCs, media players, and other portables that could work as e-book readers
Nowhere in there do I see (other readers that do not have the name "Sony" or "Amazon"
Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #73
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I managed to get another 25 bucks off (missed the $169 deal by like 2 days). Oh and technically, according to the forum description, we shouldn't even be posting in the "other devices" forum.

According to its definition:

Nowhere in there do I see (other readers that do not have the name "Sony" or "Amazon"
Yes, I was thinking about that this morning. There is a forum for "other devices", but not one for "other e-book devices". There is one for "legacy e-book devices". But I wouldn't call the Jetbook a legacy device yet
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #74
rajathilagan
bookworm
rajathilagan began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
Agreed. We are unique. We need a jetbook forum.
rajathilagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #75
tanglefast
Technophile
tanglefast has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: jetbook, ipod touch, asus 1000HE with eee-rotate
i've been a lurker of this site for quite some time and have finally taken the plunge to register after purchasing a jetbook.

thanks to everyone for contributing so much info on it and it would have been easier if there was its own forum, however, using the advance search tool was not too difficult.

i do hope i enjoy it once it comes and that i do not regret choosing it over the sony prs 505 as my first reader (the guy with the 8 ebook readers had me gunning pretty hard for it).
tanglefast is offline   Reply With Quote