Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Why color is in our future

Maybe crazy talking about the next reader while we are all still waiting for the next firmware upgrade. Of course color is near by even if it means a couple of years but I bet it will be the next one after the SW if that ever sees the light of day.

Why, because Amazon put a stake in the sand with a new price point today. With a very similar sized reader as the DR but with wireless at $490 iRex has a problem. Sure there are no folders or touch screen. Can the kindle display our version of Mobipocket? I don't want to lose my growing library of books. Having said that how can iRex bring out the SW for the price they hoped to receive for it. It also means any new iRex reader has to take into account the cost of the kindle. Except of course there is still plastic logic. Will be interesting to see if they have to adjust their prices. For this reason it seems the only way iRex can still command a premium is to introduce color. If they can also get agreements with magazine publishers they may still have a chance to milk the cow. That's us.

Even if iRex comes out with the perfect reader with the kitchen sink in it will you think twice before upgrading because of the new Kindle?
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Can the kindle display our version of Mobipocket? I don't want to lose my growing library of books.
The Kindle uses essentially the same Java Reader for MOBI as the DR1000. What is seems to have for MOBI that the iLiad (at least) does not have is: selectable line spacing, selectable page margins, displays tables, displays the cover, zoom for images, add notes via the keyboard, search entire library of MOBIs. It only has 6 font sizes (and one font), which is way too few for a screen this size.

To read your existing MOBI library, you must strip the DRM using mobidedrm. This is thought by some to be illegal in the US and may be illegal in other places.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Of course I would not trade the DR for the new kindle. I just wonder whether the next DR will be able to command the price level it has in the past without doing something big. Color is the next big thing.

It may not be illegal to break DRM as long as it is done for personal use. We all have the right to fair use. Companies are not required to provide an easy path to fair use but that does not mean I lose the right to fair use. Isn't this what the original VCR trial was all about?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It may not be illegal to break DRM as long as it is done for personal use.
I agree, and would go further and say for all practical purposes it can be considered legal in the US, but "thought by some to be illegal" is my current formula for talking freely about circumvention on this forum. I usually add personal use somewhere in the post, but in this case it is implied by the context.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
On the original topic, in case anyone missed it: http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2009/06/03...oming-in-2011/
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
For this reason it seems the only way iRex can still command a premium is to introduce color.
I think the press release on their website is basically announcing that the next iRex device will be color eInk.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
timezone
Addict

I think it is exciting and the only way iRex can stay in the game with a premium product. I am just afraid e-ink may not have the time to mature if OLED screens were to quickly come down in price. OLED starting to appear on large TV screens has to mean the smaller sizes are going to start coming down in price.

If iRex comes up with a decent color screen with much improved refresh rates and book/page loads then they will have a killer product. I think one without the other will mean a failed product. Does this mean also a faster processor? Whatever it takes they better step up.

Thanks Shaggy for recognizing my previous post.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Kindle uses essentially the same Java Reader for MOBI as the DR1000. What is seems to have for MOBI that the iLiad (at least) does not have is: selectable line spacing, selectable page margins, displays tables, displays the cover, zoom for images, add notes via the keyboard, search entire library of MOBIs. It only has 6 font sizes (and one font), which is way too few for a screen this size.

To read your existing MOBI library, you must strip the DRM using mobidedrm. This is thought by some to be illegal in the US and may be illegal in other places.
The DR1000 Mobi reader has table support, image zoom, cover display, and many more font sizes than the iLiad does. It is a great improvement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote