Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Oberon Journal with the Inside of the Amazon Hinge Cover Inserted!

I posted this on the KB board. But I also wanted to post it here since the original idea of working around covers we like that does not implement the Amazon K2 hinge mechanism came from here.

I just got my Oberon K2 Cover and Oberon Journal. I took apart the Amazon cover and insert the inside of Amazon Hinge cover inside the journal. First of all, I think the journal is a quarter of an inch wider then the K2 cover eventhough it stated on the Oberon site that both are 6 inches wide, the journal is half an inch longer then the K2 cover. The journal is no thicker then the K2 cover with the inner hinge inserted. I took a picture of the K2 & journal together side by side and the K2 is actually a little thicker. There are 2 pictures of the Amazon cover when I took it apart. The journal with the inner of the Amazon cover does fold back. If one so choose, you can glue the middle of the cover to the journal, that's right, you can easily glue the inner binding of the Amazon hinge cover to the binding of the Journal. I believe you can get that special fabric glue from a fabric store call Liquid Stitch. I decided not to glue it together because I will have multiple journals and I can just swap the inner hinge piece without having to buy another Amazon cover. It stays put without having to glue it. Like I said, the journal is a little wider and a half an inch longer then the K2 cover but not thicker even with the inside of the Amazon hinge cover inserted inside of it. If you really like the Amazon hinge system and Oberon, and you don't mind the extra length then this is a perfect solution!

Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
indiaink
sic vita est
indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KK, PW
Thanks for this, Lilly! This gives me a great idea for re-working the new Oberon cover I just received - I love it, but I like Amazon's hinge system better - whoo hoo, can't wait to get home and play!
indiaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Glad I could help indiaink. It's so easy to separate the leather part from the interior felt portion of the Amazon cover because its glued together. Start at the corners and it comes apart easily. I actually sold the Oberon K2 cover the same day I got it since I love the Oberon journal with the new hinge mechanism.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Is there any chance that Oberon will start to make their covers using the hinge system? What do people think? The only reason I haven't purchased one yet is because I don't like the velcro or the straps. I think these covers are truly a work of art and would love to own one, but not until the hinge system comes with the cover. Got to protect my K2. Thoughts?
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Is there any chance that Oberon will start to make their covers using the hinge system? What do people think? The only reason I haven't purchased one yet is because I don't like the velcro or the straps. I think these covers are truly a work of art and would love to own one, but not until the hinge system comes with the cover. Got to protect my K2. Thoughts?
No they will not; they've already stated that they had no intention of implementing the hinge system. I really like their covers also and that's why I made my own. I liked these covers so much that I talked myself into corners and ordered their K2 cover when I did not want corners but also ordered a journal at the same time for experiment purposes; I was able to sale the Kindle 2 cover once I realized that I can make the journal work!

Last edited by Lilly; 04-01-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Using the journal is a great and creative idea, but I'm pretty sure that little bit of extra length would bug me too much.

If they ever change their mind about the hinges I'll be first in line to buy one, otherwise I guess I'll just stick with the Amazon cover until someone makes something that fits the same but is more attractive.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
birdlady
birdlady began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I am new here and new to Kindle 2. I love the leather covers from Oberon but I do see that Amazon sells the journal covers that look real similar. Can you tell me about how hard/easy it was to covert the Amazon journal cover to the Kindle cover? Did you have to do a lot of extra stuff? Did it fit? did you have to sew in anything? How does the hinges work?

Thanks for your time
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote