Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
FJC@YYZ
FJC@YYZ began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Read Chinese in Kobo Touch

Steps I took to enable Kobo Touch (firmware 1.9.10) to display Chinese. About a 10 minutes task

1) Collect 2 font files "simsun.ttf" (Windows default font for Simplified Chinese) and "mingliu.ttf" (traditional Chinese). I also include "fangsong_gb2312.ttf" file for older version Chinese ebook. Do not use the *.ttc files in your PC's Windows font folder. The *.ttf files can be easily downloaded from internet.

2) Connect KOBO to your PC, and tap "connect" on the KOBO screen. Your PC will recognise the KOBO as any USB drive. Use Windows explorer to navigate to the KOBO drive directory.

3) Create a new folder "fonts" in the directory, has to spell exactly fonts without the quotation marks.

4) Copy the *.ttf font files mentioned in (1) to the folder. In my case, the files are 10, 6 and 4 MB each.

5) Eject KOBO from PC and go to any ebook, tap in the middle to call up the font icon (lower right), tap on it and you will see the 3 added fonts to the 7 factory installed fonts that came with KOBO Touch.

6) Now your KOBO is a Chinese reader which can read Chinese ebook in pdf and epub formats (I checked only 2). You can also launch the KOBO browser (settings>extra>launch browser to sites such as "www.sina.com.cn" (for simplified Chinese) or "www.mingpao.com" for (traditional) to check whether the contents are displayed properly. My Gmail account also displayed emails with Chinese characters.

I have not been able to figure out writing Chinese with the keyboard in the Touch yet?

Hope the steps will help anyone who wants to include Chinese ebook or email/web surfing in their KOBO.
FJC@YYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
quebeckerin
Enthusiast
quebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litter

Device: libre
I'm trying to help a friend set up her Kobo Touch to read Chinese. She followed the instructions above and it seemed to work, but a few characters do not display. Every four or five characters, there's a blank space, where a character should be. Any suggestions?
quebeckerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
mnjkl
mnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo touch
1 The font you are using does not support all characters in the books you are reading.
If you have windows 7, try to use msyh.ttf.

2 The font style Italic or Bold is not supported by "simsun.ttf". The characters using these style can not be displayed.
This can be resolved by some hacked font.
mnjkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
quebeckerin
Enthusiast
quebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litter

Device: libre
Thanks. I'll ask my friend to try it.
quebeckerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnjkl View Post
1 The font you are using does not support all characters in the books you are reading.
If you have windows 7, try to use msyh.ttf.

2 The font style Italic or Bold is not supported by "simsun.ttf". The characters using these style can not be displayed.
This can be resolved by some hacked font.
Which firmware version? If 2.x, for chinese, you'd better use the ttf which specified the punctuations' width, here's a 宋体 for you.
http://dl.vmall.com/c0fd5cq6f9
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Diane S
Diane
Diane S began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
FJC@YYZ, thank you very much for your most useful posting!! I finally got my Kobo to read Chinese too. I feel like a new door just opened! I am so grateful and excited. This is the first time I've ever signed up to any forum online, and I did it to thank you. However, this also opened a new horizon for me.

Best wishes to you.

Diane
Diane S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome Diane S,

If you are interested in using a Chinese-English dictionary on your Touch, have a look at this post.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuyn2003 View Post
Which firmware version? If 2.x, for chinese, you'd better use the ttf which specified the punctuations' width, here's a 宋体 for you.
http://dl.vmall.com/c0fd5cq6f9
Just thought I would mention that the font you link to is not usable on a Kobo device unless you go in and edit the font name to something other than Malabar as that is an existing built-in font.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just thought I would mention that the font you link to is not usable on a Kobo device unless you go in and edit the font name to something other than Malabar as that is an existing built-in font.

Regards,
David
This does not concern all Kobo devices. The Malabar font is not built-in in the Touch.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This does not concern all Kobo devices. The Malabar font is not built-in in the Touch.
That depends on which firmware your Touch IS using....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Right, I should have said: is not built-in in each and every Touch.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just checked and the 2.40 firmware for the old Touch does not have Malabar as a built-in font. I seemed to remember using it on my old Touch but likely one that I had tried as a add-on font.

Alternatively, it may have been one of the fonts that I tried using a fake firmware upgrade to install and ended up after a couple of successes in having to do a home button/power button factory reset. Ah.... good times!

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Asian (chinese) unicode fonts

Hi,

for Chinese and other languages using non latin scripts, I use this http://www.wazu.jp/index.html list of unicode font galery.

For example I found a very nice Bopomofo font, which is quite helpful on my Kobo when I don't know the pronunciation and the tone of a Chinese character: HanWangMingMediumChuIn (wp010-05.ttf) from http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Chi...aditional.html. Unfortunately the pronunciation is not present for all the characters.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Norton
Norton began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd
It works in my new Aura HD!!

It Even works in my new Aura HD!!

Thanks a lot!!
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote