Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #241
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm curious how others are handling book updates such as when you add a rating value in Calibre. Right now, when I add a review in Calibre, I have to manually update the book in Goodreads to reflect the new rating as the plugin will ignore the book as it already exists on my shelf. It would be nice if there was a way to automate this, but I certainly understand the Goodreads API limits what is possible.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #242
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
I'm curious how others are handling book updates such as when you add a rating value in Calibre. Right now, when I add a review in Calibre, I have to manually update the book in Goodreads to reflect the new rating as the plugin will ignore the book as it already exists on my shelf. It would be nice if there was a way to automate this, but I certainly understand the Goodreads API limits what is possible.
Personally I am doing mine manually because I also like to add my reviews to books which I really like. Though I wish there was someway to download that info into Calibre so that I can keep copies of my reviews.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #243
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@danwdoo - this comes back to an earlier discussion on this thread about submitting review data to Goodreads. To which my most recent response has been that I am letting it all percolate a bit longer before I contemplate rewriting the plugin (which I don't have time to do right now anyways). As I said previously I have only recently started using the plugin myself, having developed it for others and so only now am I getting a better feel for the sorts of things I want to do between Calibre and Goodreads that the plugin does not cater for currently.

The problem in your case is that there are multiple API calls involved - you have one set of API calls to determine and resolve whether a book is on a shelf or not, and then separate API calls to manipulate the review for a book. There is no single "add this book to a shelf if it doesn't already, along with this review" type call (or at least there never used to be). So each of those actions need to be managed by the plugin, and the various permutations of them need to be handled by the GUI. Which without considering in detail I think requires a fairly radically different approach to the menu items and screens. There was only so far I could take this plugin with the "add another feature as a menu item" approach, and already there are (perfectly valid) comments from people who want to add a book to multiple shelves, or in your case add a book along with a review (something I want to do as well).

It is going to be a few months before I can revisit this I believe - in the meantime I just use the plugin to add the book to the shelf, then right-click to view the shelf and further manipulate the book data there.

As for Nyn - "copies of the reviews?". For what purpose? Are you just wanting to see your comments (as you could do with a custom column) or for some other reason?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #244
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Sounds great and no rush. I was just curious as to how others were handling the situation. Mostly I just add the reviews (stars only) to show I've read it and a general score for how well I like it. Even as is, the plugin is awesomely useful!
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #245
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post

As for Nyn - "copies of the reviews?". For what purpose? Are you just wanting to see your comments (as you could do with a custom column) or for some other reason?
Just to have copies in my db, sometimes I add reviews for the same books on different sites. But no worries, I just created a "comments" custom column and am in the process of updating it manually from Goodreads. I just need to figure out which books I actually reviewed. I am content to leave this process as a manual process because when I add reviews I sometimes want them to appear on my facebook page. But if I had to have this plugin involved in that process it would only be to add some yes/no or checkmark for those books that do have a review from me, but it is nothing that I would need.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #246
lelu
lelu began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I apologize if I am somehow missing this, but I am new to Calibre. I have my shelves linked that I want linked, but how do I get it to show in Calibre column? I have a Goodreads column, which shows the number. Tags column shows nothing. I would like, when I update a book to "read" for it to reflect that in Calibre, or is this not possible? Thank you so much for patience!
lelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #247
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Using tags: You can add a sync rule for read shelf, for example: add to column | tag | read...

Using custom column (created yourself): I myself made a separate column for book status (to read, read, reading...) and added rules for all shelves. When you sync from "read" shelf actions are applied only to books which are on that shelf. The same to other shelves.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #248
lelu
lelu began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Column

One more question: When making a custom column, what sync action exactly (please be specific, I'm not techie!) should go there to make sure, for example the "to-read" books from Goodreads are added to that column and tagged.

Then, is there a way, once I move the book from "to-read" on GR to "Read", for the tag in my "to-read" to reflect that? So, in other words, I have the book on "to-read" in Calibre and GR. I move it to "read". When it syncs, I would like it to show read in that column, and no longer show in the "to-read" column, with tags reflecting this? Does that make sense, or am I off the mark here?
lelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #249
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@lelu - it depends on what you want your custom column to look like and contain. For instance do you want a #read column that is of type Yes/No, or do you want a text column containing the word "Read"?

You say "tags" above so here are instruction for working with your existing "tags" column. You could do it using a separate custom column (or multiple) if you wanted.

What I would do then is go to Customize plugin, double-click or right-click on the "read" shelf and choose "Edit sync actions...". You will then want to setup two actions:

Action: Add value to column
Column: tags
Value: read

Action: Remove value from column
Column: tags
Value: to-read

So when you have finished reading a book, you would use the "Add book to shelf->Read" menu from Calibre (or update the Goodreads site directly). Then use the "Sync from shelf->Read" menu item which based on those sync action rules above will result in a "read" tag being added and a "to-read" tag being removed (if found).
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #250
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Wanted to ask about an error message. I sometimes get this error when downloading shelves as tags.

Value Error:The shelf contains a book that is corrupting the results from goodreads. This can occur for certain books and has been raised as a bug on goodreads forums. ...

Is is possible to see which book gives the error? Now I just divide the list to 1/2 and do this till I find the book causing this. Is where a better way?

I saw xml_fail.xml and it doesn't tell either.

Update: I just downloaded shelves for all books. I just did it is smaller groups of books. Didn't see the error and the books there the same. Maybe just goodreads error (like sometimes it isn't available for a few seconds)

Last edited by Noughty; 08-12-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #251
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Noughty - that should be a (hopefully) pretty rare situation that came up early in the development. It was caused when Goodreads have screwed up data in what is being returned by the API. And no there is nothing I can do about it, in that circumstance I am asking a shelf for its books and get a garbled response back, I cannot tell which is the book(s) causing the problem I'm afraid.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #252
SandyHarper
Banned
SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: kindle
I have very primitive question about adding books to good read because I am comparatively new to goodreads.
When we add books, it asks to check goodreads, amazon, BN etc or manual. New books don't come up in goodreads. What is the best way to do it.
SandyHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #253
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@SandyHarper - it sounds like you are describing adding a brand new book (such as one you self publish) to Goodreads? If that is what you meant, this plugin has nothing to do with that. Adding a book to a Goodreads shelf as far as this plugin is concerned means a two step process of linking your Calibre book to its equivalent on Goodreads, and then it tells Goodreads to add that book to your shelf.

If the book has no equivalent existing in Goodreads to link to, then you cannot add it to a Goodreads shelf or do anything with it as far as this plugin is concerned.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #254
Noughty
Addict

Is it possible to make changing between shelves and tags easier? So you don't need to go to customize... Like a quick setting change (like the quick preferences plugin)
Now I download metadata (with tags), upload tags (from tags) and download shelves (to shelves). And often before downloading shelves (updating book info), I go to check if it is set to download to shelves and not tags.
And do this over and over again.
Any chance of quick setting change?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #255
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Noughty - I will be honest and say I have not the foggiest idea what you are trying to achieve, but it sounds complicated . I don't use any Goodreads shelves other than the standard ones so it is out of my familiarity zone.

In my ignorance I always saw all that behaviour as mutually exclusive. You choose one side to be your master and you stick to it. Either you start from having a Goodreads account with lots of shelves that you want to populate in Calibre (and continue to update in that direction, or after the initial pull from that point on you do updates in Calibre and push to Goodreads). Or you start with a Calibre collection and push all your updates to Goodreads.

From what I read above you are trying to push and pull from Goodreads on an ongoing basis, which sounds like a recipe for conflict and complication to me. But then as I said above I don't understand exactly what it is you are trying to achieve?

Tags
calibre, goodreads