Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
sloss9
sloss9 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook wireless connection issues

Has anyone else had an issue with the Nook Color maintaining a connection to the wireless network at home? My nook keeps connecting and disconnecting. It keeps saying that it is "connected, testing", then it will say that it is "Obtaining the IP address" but no matter what it won't maintain the wireless connection.

I have a secured connection with a Netgear modem. And it seems that my wireless network password works at times and at other times, it will continue to ask for it. It toggles back and forth between connected and disconnected.

I know my internet connection is working because my laptop is connected.

I have spent over 3 hours with customer support and even gone into the store to finish registering it. Now I am ready to return the damn thing.
sloss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
iamsissy
iamsissy began at the beginning.

Device: color nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss9 View Post
Has anyone else had an issue with the Nook Color maintaining a connection to the wireless network at home? My nook keeps connecting and disconnecting. It keeps saying that it is "connected, testing", then it will say that it is "Obtaining the IP address" but no matter what it won't maintain the wireless connection.

I have a secured connection with a Netgear modem. And it seems that my wireless network password works at times and at other times, it will continue to ask for it. It toggles back and forth between connected and disconnected.

I have spent over 3 hours with customer support and even gone into the store to finish registering it. Now I am ready to return the damn thing.
I can identify!!!!! After reading a log of blogs, I read that N routers are not compatible with the color nook. I can't say for sure if that is true, but I purchased a G router. Color nook is up and running. My brother-in-law installed the new router and that was a challenge replacing the old router. Your are right about customer support. I sure hope this helps.
iamsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please post messages in the correct forum; it makes life easier for everybody. I've moved this thread to the B&N Nook forum.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
My Nook Color connects to a wireless router using 802.11n technology at 2.4 ghz, so I'm pretty sure the NC is capable of this.

I would recommend going through your router's connection settings (both LAN and wireless) to be sure that there is nothing hindering the connection. For example, some folks like the added security of setting up their router with their device's MAC addresses, so anything with a foreign MAC addy can't connect. You should probably disable MAC addy filtering if it's on, at least to get it connected initially.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Has the device been updated to the latest 1.0.1 B&N software?

You can check this page:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35505

and then the link "How do I know I have received the update?" to see what software version you're running.
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I've had some minor issues with my wireless connections (ATT - Uverse).....nothing like the OP seems to be having.....
I can't say I noticed the issue before updating to 1.0.1 (I did the 1.0.1 update right before rooting).....
I didn't notice any issues before rooting, which was before Xmas, I've only had some issues after rooting.....but the kicker is...

My kids got laptops for Xmas....combined with their Itouches, and my laptop......I might be having issues with too many users.....I'm not sure about that yet....Seems the NC is only one that cuts out sometimes....

So I don't think rooting is really the issue, which concerned me at first....

The last few day's I've had no issues though.....I've noticed when the nook goes to sleep it loses it's connection....After waking it up, I've been hitting the N button a couple times and waiting to see the connection before attempting to go on the net....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
I haven't had any issues connecting to my Wi-Fi, but only now and then when my NC has been asleep for a long time. I have to manually on and off the wifi option on my NC to connect again.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by debteb View Post
I haven't had any issues connecting to my Wi-Fi, but only now and then when my NC has been asleep for a long time. I have to manually on and off the wifi option on my NC to connect again.
Did you have this issue before you updated to 1.0.1?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
nobody
nobody began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss9 View Post

Know what y mean! I bought one for the daughter,had the same problem just got off the phone with them. I had a space in the name of the router and this was why we could not connect also he said that the nook color did'nt work good w/ router set on WPA2 only works on WPA.Hope this helps.
I have never posted on a forum before but hopfully I can save somebody some time and Hair!
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Just for the record, a friend of mine was having intermittent problems with his wifi connecting, and having *really poor* range. After fooling with it for a day and having it connected once in a while, he headed back to B&N where they swapped it for a new one. The new one worked perfectly.

I can't say that the problem someone may be having (in general) is this, but this little device has been a very reliable wifi device for me so far, and has no trouble holding connection, so if you're having intermittent connectivity issues, please consider the story above.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I have the same issue with my Linksys WRT54GS running the latest DD-WRT. I checked all the settings and they seem to be ok. 4 laptops at home work fine. The HTC EVO, another android device has the same issue, but can be resolved by using static IP which cannot be done on the nook color.

I might just go ahead buy a new router. The WRT54GS has served me for over 8 years so I'm a little sad to see it go. I named it Oscar and pet it from time to time.

Last edited by kilmar; 01-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Static IP for Nook Color, read here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...rk/td-p/771892
Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Static IP for Nook Color, read here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...rk/td-p/771892
So I guess I have to root before I can go static. Thanks.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Unless B&N comes up with an alternate procedure, yes, rooting would be required. There are, however, other potential methods for dialing in a static IP address based on the devices MAC address and your router's capabilities.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
I haven't had any WI FI issues but apparently there is a flaw with connectivity that will be fixed by end of month. See post RE update 1.1 coming in Jan
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote