Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM   #20326
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Selected Stories, Vol. 1 by Ursula K. LeGuin. I hadn't realised that these were Ms. LeGuin's own selection and introductions. I bought these in a Kobo sale back in November 2012.
The introduction was interesting. And there was one story I liked. But all the rest were literary fiction which I found dull. 2/5

Next: Future Perfect by Nancy Kress. Four Novellettes by Nancy Kress.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #20327
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Today, I finished reading Death of a Perfect Wife by M C Beaton. A cozy mystery, it went very fast. Which is a good thing since I want to return it to the library before I get on an airplane on Saturday. Now I'm moving back to my Kindle with Torch of Freedom by David Weber and Eric Flint. On the BeBook reader, I have two books checked out through Freading -- The Healer's War by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough and Devil's Food by Kerry Greenwood.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #20328
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The introduction was interesting. And there was one story I liked. But all the rest were literary fiction which I found dull. 2/5
As I understand it, Vol 1 is lit fic, Vol 2 is SF/F.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #20329
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Well, I finished The Cuckoo's Calling today and enjoyed it very much. I doubt I will get to The Club of Queer Trades this month but hopefully soon.

Next will probably be Ready Player One, which unfortunately doesn't look like it will be the August book club selection but came in from the library so I don't have much time to wait.
I flipped these and finished The Club of Queer Trades yesterday and enjoyed it, although it probably won't be something I will re-read.

Started Ready Player One this morning and it has hooked my already.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #20330
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Tall Dolores was a quick and a very fun read with a great noir feel to it (I kept visualizing Bogart as Ed Noon)! I'll be reading more of these in the future. I'll probably pick the next one, The Spitting Image (Ed Noon #2) by Michael Avallone if I can get the Kindle Owners' Lending Library to work (I'll have to wait till the start of August to attempt to borrow it).

Right now I'm going to start my second re-read of Skin Game (The Dresden Files #15) by Jim Butcher.
Completed my 2nd re-read of Skin Game! Loved it all over again!

Next is Catalyst (Catalyst #1) by Ashleigh Reese.
Quote:
Earth is slowly dying and society has crumbled into ruins.

Until the earthquake Arden’s only concerns were what to wear so that her crush would notice her and whether she was going to pass Math. In the blink of an eye life as she knew it ceased to exist and every moment is consumed with the struggle just to stay alive. When her brother Adam goes missing her journey to find him leads her to a futuristic society hidden deep under the desert of Southern California. Future Lab could be the salvation she’s been searching for or it could be the end of everything.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #20331
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Started Ready Player One this morning and it has hooked my already.
Ironically, I just got a copy from the library too. Waited a couple of months for it. Have to speed through the Jo Nesbo I'm half way into and get started on it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #20332
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
As I understand it, Vol 1 is lit fic, Vol 2 is SF/F.
Yes, I expect I'll enjoy the second volume a lot more. There was one great story in the first volume "The Direction of the Road", slightly spoiled by the (IMO) pretentious litfic ending.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #20333
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I finished Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August, a history of the events leading up to World War I and the war's first few weeks. For the most part I enjoyed the book, except for the couple of chapters on the Russian front. Those chapters were very difficult for me to follow.

I'm also continuing with Franklin Foer's How Soccer Explains the World. "How Soccer Illustrates the World" would be a more accurate title, as Foer uses soccer (football) to illustrate national pride, political corruption, xenophobia, etc.

A very enjoyable book, with one minor but to me memorable quibble: Foer misquotes FC Barcelona's slogan in Spanish, and not the proper Catalan "Més que un club".
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #20334
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished reading Under a Graveyard Sky and To Sail a Darkling Sea by John Ringo. They were both good but I liked the first one better. I think I'll wait a little while to read the 3rd book.

Now reading the new Star Trek book for the month. The Seekers: Second Nature by David Mack. Very good so far, it's kept me on my toes.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #20335
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I finished reading Under a Graveyard Sky and To Sail a Darkling Sea by John Ringo. They were both good but I liked the first one better. I think I'll wait a little while to read the 3rd book.

Now reading the new Star Trek book for the month. The Seekers: Second Nature by David Mack. Very good so far, it's kept me on my toes.
I've just finished Under a Graveyard Sky, and am catching up on a bit more of Wheat Belly by William Davis (a should read, rather than a must read) before returning to To Sail a Darkling Sea. I did enjoy the first one a lot, though I wonder a bit about Ringo's world view...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #20336
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've just finished Under a Graveyard Sky, and am catching up on a bit more of Wheat Belly by William Davis (a should read, rather than a must read) before returning to To Sail a Darkling Sea. I did enjoy the first one a lot, though I wonder a bit about Ringo's world view...
His world view is probably not something I even particularly want to know much about, since it would probably force me to make a decision about reading his books. And honestly, I enjoy them too much. Even to the point of reading (and guiltily enjoying) books about a zombie apocalypse of all the ridiculous things.

Still reading Five Red Herrings, by Dorothy L. Sayers. But I should finish today.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #20337
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've been reading The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton. Unlike his fiction, this is (to me anyway) a bit difficult to plod through, and, despite the fact that it is the book that supposedly helped push a young C.S. Lewis to Christianity, it doesn't in my opinion showcase Chesterton's otherwise impressive intellect to its best advantage. Of course, that could well be my own bias showing (your mileage may vary), but he seems to me to set up not a few straw men in his effort to defend his beliefs, and his criticisms of the science of the day seem more a criticism of the science popularizes of his day such as H.G. Wells than valid criticisms of the science itself. I'm about 1/3 through at this point, and all things being equal, plan to persevere to the end, but I will be rewarding myself with another Perry Mason novel after this one's done.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #20338
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Kindle Owners' Lending Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Tall Dolores was a quick and a very fun read with a great noir feel to it (I kept visualizing Bogart as Ed Noon)! I'll be reading more of these in the future. I'll probably pick the next one, The Spitting Image (Ed Noon #2) by Michael Avallone if I can get the Kindle Owners' Lending Library to work (I'll have to wait till the start of August to attempt to borrow it).
I went to the store this morning on my PaperWhite and found The Spitting Image. It had a read-for-free button, which I pressed and it said I still had a book out, so I pressed the 'return' button and it said that it was sending The Spitting Image. So the Kindle Owners' Lending Library still works!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #20339
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
His world view is probably not something I even particularly want to know much about, since it would probably force me to make a decision about reading his books.
I agree that it's sometimes best not to know. I have stopped reading certain authors/listening to certain music for that very reason, and really, you should just enjoy the art for what it is, without being prejudiced by your knowledge of their predilections.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #20340
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Still reading Five Red Herrings, by Dorothy L. Sayers. But I should finish today.
Almost universally (and I concur) considered to be the worst Wimsey. A time table mystery was not Sayers's forte.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote