Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Managing tags

Is there a straightforward way to manage tags - to see the full list of tags, edit them, etc.? The only way I know to see the full list of tags is to go into "Edit meta information" for a specific book" - but I'd like to be able to see the full list from the main window, for example if I want to search for a particular tag but can't remember exactly how I named it, or if I want to add tags directly from the window and would like to select from my existing list. And I can't see any way to batch edit a tag name. Am I missing something obvious?

I'd also like to know if there is any way to delete items from the list of publishers. I once accidentally mistyped a publisher name, and now when I begin typing in the correct name for a book from that publisher autofill always fills in the wrongly spelled name (which precedes it alphabetically), and I have to remember to fix it. I can't figure out how to delete the incorrect name.
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I'll answer what I know:
There are three large buttons on the right bottom corner. The one in the middle says "click to browse books by tags". It opens a panel on the left where you can browse, among other things, by tags, see how many titles you have per tag, see only titles with a specific tag, etc.
You can also see the tags and sort by them in the normal window view (it's title, author, size, ..., tags)
I think calibre only "sees" the information it currently holds. So as long as you have a book with the wrong publisher's name, it will be on the list.

Last edited by omk3; 01-05-2010 at 08:32 PM.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
I'd also like to know if there is any way to delete items from the list of publishers. I once accidentally mistyped a publisher name, and now when I begin typing in the correct name for a book from that publisher autofill always fills in the wrongly spelled name (which precedes it alphabetically), and I have to remember to fix it. I can't figure out how to delete the incorrect name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I think calibre only "sees" the information it currently holds. So as long as you have a book with the wrong publisher's name, it will be on the list.
omk3 is correct, you are seeing that typo because you still have a book listed in your library with that spelling. Correct your existing library and the typo goes away.

Good Reading!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lightbulb Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
omk3 is correct, you are seeing that typo because you still have a book listed in your library with that spelling. Correct your existing library and the typo goes away.

Good Reading!
Tip Sort the column (click the column header)with the problem (in this case publisher).
all the same value will sort together. If you have a number of them with the wrong entries, highlight all of them, and click Meta-data edit, which puts you in bulk change mode set or type the new value and save.
Works with Author, publisher, series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Question on Filename Format

Sorry meant to put in new thread

Last edited by junkyardwillie; 01-05-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Meant to make new thread
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Wow, I am such an idiot to have missed "click to browse books by tags" - thank you! I will explore this further.

And I didn't realize I still had a book with the incorrect publisher name; as soon as I fixed that, the wrong publisher disappeared.

Thanks so much for the help - such easy solutions; I feel kind of dumb for not figuring them out myself, but I'm still glad I asked!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote