Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
chantelbrenna
chantelbrenna began at the beginning.

Device: None
I want your opinion!

I am currently doing a research project on eBooks, and I stumbled across this website (hallelujah!). I have read through some of the threads, and I want to get an idea of why you enjoy reading, writing, or publishing eBooks, as opposed to hard-copy books.

I don't currently own an eReader, but my mom has a Nook, and so I have the Nook app on my phone and we buy and share books. I really love it, because it allows me to carry books with me on my phone at school, instead of lugging around one more book, in addition to my text books and binders.

I know this is a really broad question, but I want to leave the discussion open to whatever you want to say! All of your feedback is appreciated.
chantelbrenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I love ebooks because I can carry multiple books around with me, and because I can change the font size. Also, because I'm no longer cluttering up the house with more books.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Both paper books and e-books have their advantages, and I read both. E-books are convenient, I can hold a library in my hand. Books that were hard to find in paper are easy to find as an e-book. I had always wanted to read Don Quixote, but I didn't relish lugging around an a 1000+ page book. I could easily enough buy a copy in paper, but what if I didn't like it, and never got around to reading it? Or I could buy a used copy cheaply, but with old paper books, the paper can be yellowed and hard to read. With an e-book, it was free, and the e-ink screen was easy on the eyes.

Then there's the ability to change the font size. I'm reading The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in paper, and the font is tiny. I keep wanting to increase the font size.

There are so many free books out there. When I first got my e-reader, I was grabbing up every free book I could. I've since slowed down, and only get books I want to read, even if they are free. Project Gutenberg is a fantastic source. I still buy books though.

The dictionary feature is a big plus. With paper, if you don't know a word, you can dig out a paper dictionary, figure it out by context or just skip over it. But with the e-reader, the definitions right there.

Not everyone likes it, but I enjoy the text to speech feature on the Kindle 3. It's great for when I'm in the car.

Paper books have benefits too. You can sell them or give them away. You can buy them used at a reduced price. And a bookshelf is, in my opinion, an enjoyable way to search for a book.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I prefer ebooks for several reasons: (in no particular order)

1. Can shop and get a new book on my Kindle in a few minutes.
2. I can carry around hundreds of books in a small package.
3. Built in dictionary.
4. Free books.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I started e-reading years ago because my bookshelves were overflowing (again). That'll never happen to me with e-books because electronic memory is cheap. I continue to e-read for many other reasons but a big one is having several e-books without the bulk of p-books when I travel.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Three main reasons for me:
1. I can make the fonts as big as I can for my bad eyes!
2. Lightweight so it doesn't hurt my hand/wrist.
3. I can carry bunches and bunches of books with me!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Originally I began turning to ebooks more and more due to size constraints when we downsized to a smaller house after my brother married and left home.

Then as my disabilities advanced an ereader is easier on my joints, esp. on days when my hands/wrists are badly swollen/stiff. Also not having to hold my book/device directly in front of my eyes is great. I can increase font and have my device sitting on my lap or on the bed beside me while I lie/sit in a whichever position in most comfortable for me at the time.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
1. Convenience of carrying around multiple books in the palm of my hand.
2. Ease of shopping, near-instant delivery.
3. It's an electronic gizmo, so I'm already attracted to it.
4. I find it easier to read on my Kindle than in an actual book.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I got an ereader because I can adjust the font size to something that is comfortable for me to read. I don't clutter my apartment with books, I can carry my entire library with me everywhere I go.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I got an ereader initially because I was tired of losing books during my various moves (especially while in the military). I re-bought books numerous times because of this. The ereader just makes it more convenient for me to have my entire library at hand and lets me read whatever I want whenever I want.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
eBooks solve my problem of no more shelf space plus they offer a portability that is impossible with pbooks.
I can purchase old pbooks and format-shift them to digital (thank you Sigil & Calibre).
I can overcome DRM (thank you Apprentice Alf) and correct the errors in commercial ebooks (and improve the front covers - no thanks to Random House for their *boring* covers!)

Biggest (and only) downside is my impending bankruptcy as I buy far more books now that I used to when restricted to paper.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I have thousands of books, all free and I would not be able to walk through our small house if they were all in my space instead of digital space. Secondly, I think I have dyslexia - at any rate I read on ereaders but never touch real books unless forced to. I could read on pc/laptop but ereaders are much easier.

I have a kindle with 1400+ books on it as of date, most all free. I have collected other digital books from the net and have in the 20,000 area at present on my desktop.

My wife likes this type of collecting much better than old cars :-)
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I don't like to accumulate physical books because they take up space and become clutter.
I like to be able to adjust the font as my eyes aren't that great anymore.
If I want a book, I can just get it without running out to the book store.
I can carry tons of books with me if I'm going on a trip or something.
There are free and very inexpensive books available.
I don't have to worry about my toddler taking out the bookmark. She ignores ereaders but can't keep her hands off a book with a bookmark in it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I purchased my ereader when our local library closed for renovations. The library system has an excellent ebook program. Two years later, the library has reopened but I will stick with checking out ebooks. I love having no late fees! I do still buy paper books sometimes.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I love ebooks because I can carry multiple books around with me, and because I can change the font size. Also, because I'm no longer cluttering up the house with more books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I prefer ebooks for several reasons: (in no particular order)

1. Can shop and get a new book on my Kindle in a few minutes.
2. I can carry around hundreds of books in a small package.
3. Built in dictionary.
4. Free books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Three main reasons for me:
1. I can make the fonts as big as I can for my bad eyes!
2. Lightweight so it doesn't hurt my hand/wrist.
3. I can carry bunches and bunches of books with me!
S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
1. Convenience of carrying around multiple books in the palm of my hand.
2. Ease of shopping, near-instant delivery.
3. It's an electronic gizmo, so I'm already attracted to it.
4. I find it easier to read on my Kindle than in an actual book.
All of the above.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote