Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Aluratek Libre... confused about SD card

I happened to be near a KMart today (NOT near my home) and picked up an Aluratek Libre. The Quick Start guide tells me there is a pre-installed 2 GB card that contains 100 books. The books are there, but there is no SD card in the slot. Thinking maybe the card is installed inside the hardware I checked the memory available by plugging it in. The books take up less than 90 MB and there is less than 20 MB available. Do they indeed come with a separate SD card that is removable?

Is it possible someone loaded the books onto the unit and swiped the card? I realize SD cards are cheap, but that ain't right. What should I do? I can't go back there for several weeks.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
I happened to be near a KMart today (NOT near my home) and picked up an Aluratek Libre. The Quick Start guide tells me there is a pre-installed 2 GB card that contains 100 books. The books are there, but there is no SD card in the slot. Thinking maybe the card is installed inside the hardware I checked the memory available by plugging it in. The books take up less than 90 MB and there is less than 20 MB available. Do they indeed come with a separate SD card that is removable?

Is it possible someone loaded the books onto the unit and swiped the card? I realize SD cards are cheap, but that ain't right. What should I do? I can't go back there for several weeks.
Call them, and then get a card from whoever is having a sale this week...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Yeah, I will. I was just checking to see if I understood it correctly. I'm just peeved. I could have gotten the thing from somewhere else for less when you factor in the price of the card.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Mahmud
Mahmud began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I picked one up at a KMart today and could not find an SD card. I thought it was just me, but I think they must have two ways they sell this reader. I saw a webpage where they had the package and it prominently says "Included 2GB SD card/100 ebooks".http://the-gadgeteer.com/2010/02/02/...er-pro-review/ But my package simply says "Included 100 ebooks."

Yeah, I'm peeved too. But since the KMart ad doesn't say it comes with an SD card, I doubt they'll do anything about it.
Mahmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
jezebel
Fanatic

Mahmud, was your box shrink-wrapped?

The box doesn't say anything about a card and it's not in the drawings of what's included, but it does say very clearly in the quick start guide that one is included. I'm gonna call and speak with a manager tomorrow.
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Mahmud

No, my box wasn't shrink-wrapped but it had those circular tapes on each end. The instructions do say, "we have included a 2GB SD card that is pre-loaded with 100 eBooks." I really don't understand the company cutting corners to remove an SD card that costs a few dollars. Let us know what you find out from talking to a manager. The store I got it from is more than 30 miles away.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
jezebel
Fanatic

Yeah, my store is about that distance from me, plus a $4 toll bridge. Not worth the trip just for that.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Good lord, you people sure travel a lot of distances to buy these toys.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've noticed that some of the ads mention the existence of the card, and some just mention the 100 books. I'm wondering if the lower priced/sale Libres are cheaper because the card is not included.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
Mahmud

Ha. I had to make a grocery run, and that's also my closest supermarket.

I created a support ticket at Aluratek about the missing SD card. Let's see what they say.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
jezebel
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Good lord, you people sure travel a lot of distances to buy these toys.
I guess it depends on where you live. The Kmart near me closed last month. I happened to have other things to do in the area of the one I went to yesterday. I wouldn't have gone that far just for a toy.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
Mahmud

I heard back from Aluratek. They wrote: "If you purchased your LIBRE ebook reader PRO from K-Mart, an SD card is not included with the LIBRE. The 100 free ebooks are saved to the LIBRE's internal memory, not on an SD card. The box does not state that an SD card is included. The quick start guide or instructions may refer to an SD card but that is an error. K-Mart's current LIBRE promotion does not include an SD card. Other retailers may include the SD card but their price may be higher that what K-Mart is charging."

I figured this was the case. I've been reading on the Libre and am impressed by the range of formats it displays, especially my own RTF documents and even PDFs. I can also easily read ebooks borrowed from the public library. These were my main interests anyway. If nothing changes with how the reader works, I think I'll keep it and get a cheap SD card.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
jezebel
Fanatic

I wrote them and got a similar reply. I picked up a 2 GB SD card from Staples today for $8. If I decide to return the reader I can always use it in another or in my camera.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
char10
char10 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise , aluratek libre , ipod touch
I recently bought an Aluratek Libre from Sears for $99.It had the SD card with it so there must be 2 different packages available. I wanted an ereader that used folders and read multiple formats.I'm really happy with it and haven't run into any problems,so far.
char10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
jezebel
Fanatic

I have been kicking myself daily for missing that Sears deal. I missed it by one day!