Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
iRex DR800SG Delayed till end of November

Got the following response from iRex when I inquired as to when the DR800 would be available (ie the end of October has come and gone). I received the following response within 12 hours..

Thank you for showing interest in our product.

The release has been delayed, the Dr800SG will hit stores end of
November.

http://www.irexreader.com/
http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/

I hope this information is sufficient, if there are any questions don't
hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
The iRex Shop.

So, a bit disappointing, I'm really looking forward to the DR800 but it drives me crazy when companies make announcements but don't deliver.

Larry

Also received the following info in same email.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DR800SG.pdf (535.9 KB, 713 views)
File Type: pdf IREX-comparison-readers.pdf (876.9 KB, 873 views)
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
They better be wrong. I've already been billed by Best Buy.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They better be wrong. I've already been billed by Best Buy.
Are you sure the order wasn't canceled? My understanding is that after BestBuy screwed up and had to take the listing off of their website, they were canceling orders that had been placed based on the faulty listing.

You might want to contact BestBuy and find out what the status of your order is.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Based on the PDF, it's MICRO usb and not MINI usb (I think Europe recently standardized on micro-usb). Hopefully that will make it harder to break. One months time is probably not enough time to get wifi onto it, though annotation support is possible.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
One months time is probably not enough time to get wifi onto it, though annotation support is possible.
I didn't think they were putting wifi on it, just 3G. Good point about annotation though, I hadn't thought of that.
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Never charged

I got an email from Best Buy that my order was actually never placed. And my credit card never showed a debit. I would check with Best Buy as soon as possible. In the mean time, where the hell is it?????

I want one!
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Still want one but it looks like my Nook may arrive before the Irex. Lame! I really wanted to at least try the larger screen format first. Irex equals FAIL for me at the moment. Again give a date a stick to it. What existing Irex owners have said about the company may come true with the model. Promises promises and never deliver. Sad...

The good news is those that sit on the sidelines for at least 6 month will got lots of new and possibly better choices.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Are you sure the order wasn't canceled? My understanding is that after BestBuy screwed up and had to take the listing off of their website, they were canceling orders that had been placed based on the faulty listing.

You might want to contact BestBuy and find out what the status of your order is.
My order is still listed on Best Buy's website, but you're right. I wasn't actually charged.

When I checked with my bank a few weeks ago, that transaction was listed as pending. Usually that means the money is in the process of being drawn from my account. This time it didn't mean that.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Based on the PDF, it's MICRO usb and not MINI usb (I think Europe recently standardized on micro-usb). Hopefully that will make it harder to break. One months time is probably not enough time to get wifi onto it, though annotation support is possible.
I heard somewhere that approximately 25 new ebook readers will see the light of day next year. If you can, wait to see which of the devices comes out as the best.
iRex is probably delaying the DR800 for only one reason : the DR800 firmware and/or hardware is not in a state that customer would find acceptable.
iRex's track record tells us that they prefer to go to market 'too soon' with their devices, so it must be REALLY 'too early' when even they find it not opportune to start selling their new device. Especially when they know that a whole hurd of competing devices is going to hit the market in the next couple of weeks/months and speed to market is even more essential than ever before.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
jboardman
Zealot

What I would love to see (other than an operating DR800SG) is Irex and Liquavista teaming up to create a device with the Liquavista Bright screen. Wow, would THAT be a winner. Especially if the have 3G, Barnes and Noble, and a writable screen! But for now, I would just settle for the DR800SG in full working order! I have had some great luck with Irex repair and turn-around, and with getting information from Irex in a timely manner. My Iliad is starting to skip pages when I use the flip bar, and the little on-off switch has broken off, so I have to use a paperclip to turn it on and off. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Iliad, and I take it with me whereever I go. I am an attorney, and I use it in court for note-taking, brief reading, and argument. It is just the right size. I thought about purchasing the DR1000, but I also read recreationally, and the 1000 is just too damn big! Oh well... there's my two cents!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
What I would love to see (other than an operating DR800SG) is Irex and Liquavista teaming up to create a device with the Liquavista Bright screen.
I'm not sure that's a good fit. iRex's main strength is the display engineering that they do with E-Ink and PVI to design and manufacture their custom displays. I don't think they would partner with another display company that does the same thing as their own core competency.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
jboardman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm not sure that's a good fit. iRex's main strength is the display engineering that they do with E-Ink and PVI to design and manufacture their custom displays. I don't think they would partner with another display company that does the same thing as their own core competency.
Never hurts to suggest!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I noticed that Best Buy have recently glossed up their Sony Ebook reader section as the last one they had was terrible. I have doubts the Irex will ever been available at Best Buy and certainly would hestitate to purchase if it's already been delayed. Plus the Que is going to blow them all away.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
I noticed that Best Buy have recently glossed up their Sony Ebook reader section as the last one they had was terrible. I have doubts the Irex will ever been available at Best Buy and certainly would hestitate to purchase if it's already been delayed. Plus the Que is going to blow them all away.
The other way to look at this is that it is the first step toward making a dedicated ebook section like they do for phones or mp3's. iRex certainly has it's business challenges, but I don't think there is any reason to believe they won't be bringing the device to Best Buy as indicated.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Well, I'm VERY interested in the DR800SG, and would buy one today if the local Best Buy had one. But, I'm also a realist and realize that the total overall support from iRex may be sketchy, ie promises or announcements that never come to pass. I hope I'm wrong as it looks like the right size of e-reader for me!

KindleMan
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote