Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
deadringer
Enthusiast
deadringer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700BC
Unhappy Sony Ebook software worthless

I just received my new pr-700 yesterday. The ebook software simply doesn't work. I can't connect to the ebook store without many tries. I can't ever connect to my reader to put books on it. I've spent hours trying. I should have bought a Kindle! It's going to be returned today

John
deadringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
I just received my new pr-700 yesterday. The ebook software simply doesn't work. I can't connect to the ebook store without many tries. I can't ever connect to my reader to put books on it. I've spent hours trying. I should have bought a Kindle! It's going to be returned today

John
Actually, the software works fine. It's something with your system that's causing it. Do you run Norton? If so, remove it (worthless). What happens when you have eBook Library running and then connect the 700 to the USB port? Have you tried different ports, different cable? Are you running Vista? if so, try turning off UAC and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
deadringer
Enthusiast

I am running Norton 2009 , but it's disabled. I like Norton and it's caught a lot of virus that others have missed. I finally got it to upload an ebook to the reader but the upload died half way through. I've only got on the Ebook store twice in many many tries. I have DSL and I wonder if my modem firewall stops it. Frustrated and disappointed!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am running Norton 2009 , but it's disabled. I like Norton and it's caught a lot of virus that others have missed. I finally got it to upload an ebook to the reader but the upload died half way through. I've only got on the Ebook store twice in many many tries. I have DSL and I wonder if my modem firewall stops it. Frustrated and disappointed!
The firewall built into our Linksys Router does not stop eBook Library from connecting. If you are on Vista, try turning off UAC and see what happens.

UAC is that awful User Access Control
Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
John,

I noticed you are BRAND NEW here and Your FIRST POST is about something
very few people (if that) are experiencing. Just as others thought the reader
was "massively slowing down" which turned out to be a bad memory card
or corrupted files, I suggest your own individual hardware setup or some software
might be the cause of your ISSUES/PROBLEMS.

Out of the box, my reader and sony software ran without incident or hitch
and I'm using a brute force firewall with self learning TCP traffic filters turned ON!
I suggest you call sony support or bring it to a sony service center.

Hopefully when you figure out what the culpret is on your system/software
you will enjoy your reader like many others...

good luck to you.

p.s. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE THE OEM USB CABLE that sony provides.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
deadringer
Enthusiast

I'm running Xp Home. Actually, I just changed Usb ports and things seem to be working. Still can't get the bookstore but I can upload to the reader. Thanks! I just thought one usb port would be the same as the next. Apparently not! Now to solve the bookstore prob. Must have something to do with my firewall. But I can connect sometimes. If it's the firewall wouldn't it block it every time?

John
Old 02-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hi, John! I think quite a few of us Sony Reader owners wish Sony would allow for purchases across the web, rather than through the Sony software. I know it runs slow on my system, but I'll admit that didn't happen until I upgraded by Internet Security software. (I have problems installing Calibre with my Zone Alarm enabled, too!)

But if something made you decide the 700 was your "Reader of choice" in the first place, I'd suggest trying Jon's suggestions before you give up on it.

And this is probably a dumb question, but do you know for sure if you have the right version of the software - it should be 2.5.00.09170 (per the Sony support website).

Good luck!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
deadringer
Enthusiast

Yes I have the right version of software. As I said earlier changing usb ports fixed the upload to ebook problem. My fault not Sony's. Still have probs with the ebook store but I think it must be on my end. Sorry my first message was one of frustration. Now that I have books on the reader I like it. I don't see a great deal of screen glare about which I've read messages on here and elsewhere. I'm an old Rocket Ebook Reader user so this is definitely a few steps up from there. Anyone in the market for a Rocket with dead batteries? LOL
John
Old 02-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Anyone in the market for a Rocket with dead batteries? LOL
John
Hey, you never know...someone might want it for parts! Or they may know of a place to get batteries...

Glad you got connected...I think our posts "crossed" at about the same time...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
Why not? I know I'm not using the cable that came with my 505. There is nothing special about that cable. It's just a standard USB cable with a nin-USB plug on the other end.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

John, well done. Glad it's working now. I hope you really enjoy your 700. I was thinking about getting one, but I decided to wait until devices with larger screens are available (other then iRex).
Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think I'd be frustrated too if my Reader wouldn't work right away! I'm glad you got at least one part of the problem solved. I'd call Sony and see if they can help you with your other issue (it probably is a firewall thing). In the meantime, you can download many of the free books on here
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not? I know I'm not using the cable that came with my 505. There is nothing special about that cable. It's just a standard USB cable with a nin-USB plug on the other end.
I've used a substitute cable to transfer books to my Sony. But I don't have the Sony software loaded and I don't rely on the USB to charge the device. The USB cable that came with my Sony has a filter block (balun?) on it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Sorry my first message was one of frustration.
I personally am frustrated every single time I have to use that software. Nothing works the way I expect it to work. And I am very open minded when it comes to software. At home I even use KDE4.1 running on FreeBSD operating system (yet another reason why I do not use the Sony Library). Most often I just use a card reader and copy rtf files in the SD card.
I am even more frustrated with the Sony store itself and I do not buy there. I am not allowed anyway, because I do not have a credit card with billing address in USA. There are plenty places where you can get or buy stuff to read on your reader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
sony Ebook Library is the first piece of sony software that i found works pretty good.

I was so happy the first time i opened it and was like. YAY not sonic stage.

I only use it for transfering books to my reader, and for tagging files read or unread. simple as pie, there are 1-2 quirks with it, but there are more quirks with other things too.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote