Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
nnarth212
nnarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheese

Device: K3-- keyboard 600A
Question K3-- not detected

Team Kindle--
I've been studying and can't root this out. (this is not a bricked unit-- afaik... but im beginning to suspect).

Help cousin move and I find a kindle K3+wifi+3g in a waste bin --I charged it up and found out why-- the keyboard malfunctioned. (Aside, there was also a 2012 macbook pro in the waste bin i've also fully repaired; good haul.)

Open it up and after some jiggling with the keyboard ribbon it all came working again-- modest corrosion on the ribbon due to moisture. Keyboard works again, wifi works... so on.

So, I want to wipe the thing as I don't want her amazon account info, user name, books, all that (and I want to read PDF and ebook on this thing)-- i've got Kubrick booted, orange LED (I assume) depicting i'm in USB mode-- no go, never recognized.

I reload the K3-- windows doesn't see the Kindle either and I then recall it never did in all it's charging prior to attempting the unbrick.

So, this K3 seems to work fine, charges fine on a standard micro usb, yet can't be accessed (or recognized as a drive, partition, volume etc.) at all from a PC, Mac, Linux... and in reading more I'll share that I have tried a 2002 intel P4 running win8, 2004 Dell 600M winXP laptop, another old P4 with win7, and various ports on machines with more than 2. Macbook wouldn't boot Kubrick while the others would boot and not recognize the device.

Is this a 'corrupt' USB cable? micro usb slot? Suggestions or thoughts?

Great community here and I look forward to learning more in addition to reading something other than 50 Shades... on this K3.

Thanks,
CB

PS-- the water logged macbook i5 got a new screen $40, optical unit delete $0, new battery $44, and (just for speed) a new 750g 7200RPM SATA. I love owning tools. I even tried to give it back to the cuz-- cause i'm nice.

Last edited by nnarth212; 09-17-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add'l info
nnarth212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
nnarth212
nnarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheesennarth212 can extract oil from cheese

OK-- it was the cord. Sodomy.

Not all micro usb's are equal...
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnarth212 View Post
OK-- it was the cord. Sodomy.

Not all micro usb's are equal...
All micro usb connectors are equal.
The wiring to the connector is not equal.

From your description, you first tried a "charging only" cable (no connection to the data pins).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
nnarth212

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
All micro usb connectors are equal.
The wiring to the connector is not equal.

From your description, you first tried a "charging only" cable (no connection to the data pins).

Hey, hey now. All due respect and I am aware you're an expert around here-- if two cables have different wiring schematic does that not make them different?

Am I splitting hairs here? Either way-- thank you for the reply and all the goo contributions to the community.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Hey, hey now. All due respect and I am aware you're an expert around here-- if two cables have different wiring schematic does that not make them different?

Am I splitting hairs here? Either way-- thank you for the reply and all the goo contributions to the community.
Ah, so -
You meant "all micro-USB cords [sic]" - sorry I didn't read it that way.

You will notice in my posts that is a common error on my part - reading the quote too fast when writing a reply.
My bad.

(In my own defense - you are not the first person here that started to trouble report thread based on what turned out to be a "power only" cable for some blue tooth expansion speakers.
Although you are the first one to solve the problem their self. )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
nnarth212

Now what...

In a slight derailment:

Kubrick finished 'successfully' but all the old data is still there:

Registration, device name, books... etc. Should I wipe it from the menu next?

Was I successful? How do I confirm jailbreak? What software to load now? Just load a PDF viewer?

Thanks again for the replies. Kudos.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
In a slight derailment:

Kubrick finished 'successfully' but all the old data is still there:

Registration, device name, books... etc. Should I wipe it from the menu next?

Was I successful? How do I confirm jailbreak? What software to load now? Just load a PDF viewer?

Thanks again for the replies. Kudos.
Yes, it was successful. The primary purpose of Kubrick is to debrick Kindles, not to reset them. The jailbreak is installed, trust me.

If you want to get rid of the content and registration, then yes, perform a factory reset using the device's UI.

What you want to install on it is entirely up to you. You might be interested in USBnetwork, just for kicks
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
nnarth212

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes, it was successful...

What you want to install on it is entirely up to you. You might be interested in USBnetwork, just for kicks
I'll look into that! And thanks to you and the community for the boot.img.

OK-- i have to admit-- this forum is too dense for me-- i click on an app thread and there's 70 pages of conversation but no clear description of what it is or does, or in some cases where it goes or how to install it...

I am certain I am missing something... link to the 'intro' page anybody...

Last edited by nnarth212; 09-18-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
A great place to start!
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ks_Information
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote