Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
walle1357
walle1357 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Better MP3 player on K3

It turns out, amazon offers a really nice stock interface for playing MP3s. But it's hidden. Here is what to do:
  1. Make a new collection on your Kindle. Call it "Music" or something similar.
  2. Connect your Kindle to your computer.
  3. Open the "audible" folder, and create a new folder inside of it. It doesn't matter what the new folder is named.
  4. Take your music MP3s, and drag them into the new folder.
  5. Disconnect your kindle. The new MP3s should appear on your home screen.
  6. Add them all to the "Music" collection you made on your Kindle earlier.
Simple as that. Now, you can go to the "Music" collection and you get a nice list of the MP3s in the folder. If they are tagged with artists etc, those are shown too.
walle1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I think that this way though you can't listen and read at the same time, am I right?
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
walle1357

No, you have a point there. But you can listen to the music when the Kindle is locked.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The alternative of course, for anyone not aware of it, that if you don't put your MP3s in the Audible folder you can indeed play them while you are reading -- but you have little control over them because they play in consecutive order.

Sourcing them in the Audible folder gives you a bare-bones interface with which you can control playback -- though my own experience is that the Kindle doesn't always 'remember' your place, which is a nuisance if your MP3s are longer podcasts.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
walle1357

The fact that it is an interface at all is nice though As for the MP3s playing in consecutive order in the music folder, you can Alt-F to skip.
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi,

I found this by accident yesterday too.

But I found that it only plays one song and does not go to the next song when finished.

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Awesome trick, thanks! The best part is it takes almost no time to set up.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
That is because it is the setup for Audible books, which is well-documented.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The K3 is my favorite MP3 player now. No weird static noise. Kinda funny that an e-reader does playback better than most MP3 players.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The K3 is my favorite MP3 player now. No weird static noise. Kinda funny that an e-reader does playback better than most MP3 players.
It's certainly better than I expected it to be, that's for certain. I'd still rather use my Sanza for music. But, I probably use the Kindle more often overall. Podcasts work great off of it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mp3