Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Question Sci-Fi Recommendations - similar to Ubik

Hi,
I just read Ubik - my very first by Philip K. Dick.
Apart from my intention of reading everything I can find by PKD - which was even predicted in the Introduction of Ubik by Michael Marshall Smith
Quote:
If this is your first PKD, prepare yourself for having to find another foot or so of book shelving space.
can the Sci-FI fans here recommend me similar books or authors so I can stock up for the summer.
I am quite a virgin when it comes to Sci-Fi
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Go to Literature Map here http://www.literature-map.com/ and enter Philip K. Dick in the window in the center of the screen then hit return. A new window will open with PKD's name in the center and a whole of authors arrayed around him. The closer they are the more like him they are.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, I tried literature map, but I have a feeling it gives rather strange recommendations. I think it's more based on what people reading PKD read than on similraty of those authors.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I tried the link, used Robert Heinlein, and thought, You've got to be kidding!
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I tried the link, used Robert Heinlein, and thought, You've got to be kidding!
Yes...On literature map the closest to PKD is Dostoyevsky...I love Dostoyevsky, but I would like SF recommendations...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Funny you brought this up. I have never read any Dick. Been meaning to for 20 years.You've inspired me to correct that egregious oversight by reading Ubik as soon as possible.

So I'm no help to you with your question, but for what's it's worth, since you said you are new to science fiction, you might start with Spares and One of Us andOnly Forward by Michael Marshall Smith, who wrote the intro in your Ubik edition. All 3 are terrific.

Other personal favorites:
Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons
Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead- Orson Scott Card
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx & Crake - Margaret Atwood
Contact - Carl Sagan
The Risen Empire/Killing of Worlds - Scott Westerfeld
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
It has to be said that starting to read Philip K. Dick by opening Ubik is like starting to explore the solar system by flying to Pluto.

I've not read it since 1978, but the teenage me was blown away by it. I've been struggling to think of a book that's like it. Again, I'd have to reread it, but Dick's own A Scanner Darkly also had an effect on me.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Goodreads has a pretty good list of authors like Philip K. Dick:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/simi....Philip_K_Dick

There must be something in the air with Dick. Just started The Man in the High Castle this week.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Goodreads has a pretty good list of authors like Philip K. Dick:

[url]http://www.goodreads.com/author/similar/4764.Philip_K_Dick[/url
Hmm. I think a lot of those are on the list because they've written a book with a plot that's similar to something in Dick's output, not because they write like Dick.

I think I'd agree with the inclusion of Alfred Bester, though.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hmm. I think a lot of those are on the list because they've written a book with a plot that's similar to something in Dick's output, not because they write like Dick.
Actually, I can't think of anybody that writes like PKD, but there's a few on the list that write quirky, sometimes difficult to understand works.

Cordwainer Smith
Arkady Strugatsky
Stanisław Lem
Brian W. Aldiss
Samuel R. Delany
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Honestly, I don't think there is any book that is like Ubik. That book was crazy. Crazy good, but wow. Both hilarious and terrifying.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Hunter S Thompson.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Ubik and Dick? Is there anything else like Dick? If you liked Ubik, you'd probably like The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and A Martian Timeslip. They're not my faves, but they are wacky like Ubik in the sense they mess around with realities in a similar way. My fave is probably The Man in the High Castle.

You might like to try Stanislaw Lem, but it's heavy. The most famous and possibly the best is Solaris. Lem loved Dick, if you see want I mean. He called him 'a prince among knaves.' He annoyed most of the science-fiction writiers in America, particularly Philip Jose Farmer. It's called the Lem Incident if you want to google it.

You got me thinking. If you like wacked-out sci-fi with mess-up realities, try some Christopher Preist. I reccomend The Prestige and The Separation. He really pissed off Harlan Ellison, but that's another story, lol. I just read the Inverted World by Preist and I was really impressed by it. But the other two I mentioned first are more wacked-out in a Dick sense. If you know what I mean
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Ubik and Dick? Is there anything else like Dick? If you liked Ubik, you'd probably like The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and A Martian Timeslip. They're not my faves, but they are wacky like Ubik in the sense they mess around with realities in a similar way. My fave is probably The Man in the High Castle.

You might like to try Stanislaw Lem, but it's heavy. The most famous and possibly the best is Solaris. Lem loved Dick, if you see want I mean. He called him 'a prince among knaves.' He annoyed most of the science-fiction writiers in America, particularly Philip Jose Farmer. It's called the Lem Incident if you want to google it.

You got me thinking. If you like wacked-out sci-fi with mess-up realities, try some Christopher Preist. I reccomend The Prestige and The Separation. He really pissed off Harlan Ellison, but that's another story, lol. I just read the Inverted World by Preist and I was really impressed by it. But the other two I mentioned first are more wacked-out in a Dick sense. If you know what I mean
Don't listen to this guy, he's a Skrull

But seriously, he's right, if you like one PKD chances are you will like most of his SF books. They explore a lot of the same themes: questionable realities, the nature of god, mind-altering drugs, etc.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Funny you brought this up. I have never read any Dick. Been meaning to for 20 years.You've inspired me to correct that egregious oversight by reading Ubik as soon as possible.

So I'm no help to you with your question, but for what's it's worth, since you said you are new to science fiction, you might start with Spares and One of Us andOnly Forward by Michael Marshall Smith, who wrote the intro in your Ubik edition. All 3 are terrific.

Other personal favorites:
Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons
Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead- Orson Scott Card
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx & Crake - Margaret Atwood
Contact - Carl Sagan
The Risen Empire/Killing of Worlds - Scott Westerfeld
Thank you very much! I've heard of Hyperion series so I bought it, and I also started reading Oryx and Cake and decided to wait till last in the trilogy is published in August to read all three books - I did like what I read!
I heard about all the other writers you mentioned, but never read, so I guess I will put it on my TBR list.