Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@tvjohn: As usual, check the logs (;dumpMessages) .

@ixtab: Can't check most of this, since I don't have a K4, and I don't have WiFi on either on my Touch, so no 5.1.1, but you've got a PM ^^.

Best Amazon front page ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amz_fail.png
Views:	391
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	87315  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Oh jeez... I'm glad (??) I have the Wifi turned off right now. I'm probably not going to update until I get the new jbpatch version out and verified it to work with a 5.1.0 backend.

That said: has the remote root vulnerability been fixed? (I hope so). Then, @geekmaster, NiLuJe: is the current jailbreak method still working? (Sorry for not being able to investigate this by myself right now... as said, I'll stick with 5.1.0 because I have to get jbpatch straight.)
kubrick89 is waiting for me to give him a "secret" jailbreak package to make images of his main and diags partitions and kernels without changing anything outside the USB drive. AFAIK my method is the only one that can do that (if it still works). We will probably test that tomorrow when I have more time...

kubrick89 prefers to make NO modifications to his system until we have backup copies...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #18
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Is there a new kindle touch update 5.1.1?? I checked on the amazon site and there is only the 5.1.0 version...
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Best Amazon front page ever.
Sort of like the "500 Server Error" website I was seeing at www.mobileread.com a few days ago.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Sort of like the "500 Server Error" website I was seeing at www.mobileread.com a few days ago.
That was a temporary condition?
I thought Amazon had bought out MobileRead.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #21
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That was a temporary condition?
I thought Amazon had bought out MobileRead.
That is a facebook thing... Buy up all the best stuff on the net and shut it down (look at the facebook company purchase history). Growth through elimination of competition?

Does amazon do that? The amazon "group of companies" is still in business, it appears...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-05-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That is a facebook thing... Buy up all the best stuff on the net and shut it down (look at the facebook company purchase history). Growth through elimination of competition?

Does amazon do that? They did not shut down lab126 when they bought it...
But in that case, they should have put lab126 out of its misery.
They shoot horses when they can't function, don't they?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
geekmaster

Quote:
But in that case, they should have put lab126 out of its misery.
They shoot horses when they can't function, don't they?
Lab126 is just the name that amazon operates under in California to protect customers in that state from paying sales taxes, according to this: http://www.quora.com/What-is-Lab126s...ship-to-Amazon

There are reports that they also operate under different names in other states as well, so they can sell products without charging (or paying) state sales tax. I am surprised that some states did not challenge them on that potential "tax avoidance scheme".

Both times that I called lab126 in California about firmware development questions, they transferred me up to "the amazon office in Seattle Washington".

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Hmm...
Twenty-four pages of job openings:
http://www.lab126.com/careers.htm
and I don't mean openings for floor sweepers.
Some of those vacant positions are extremely important to quality product development.

There may be some degree of hazard working for lab126...
The last person that held this job:

Job ID 168338
Job Title Director, User Experience
Job URL https://highvolsubs-amazon.icims.com/jobs/168338/job
Location Cupertino, CA
Posted Date 05/17/2012 12:10 AM

May have been taken out back and shot recently. (about the time of v5.1.0's release).

Last edited by knc1; 06-05-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
May have been taken out back and shot recently. (about the time of v5.1.0's release).
That is not likely to happen LITTERALLY until the Chinese take over more of our economy, when they foreclose on all of our debt. They do that over there though. There was a news report some time ago about a refrigerator company that was not meeting demands, so all the managers were LITERALLY taken out behind the factory and shot, while the other employees watched. Replacements were chosen from the crowd who watched the executions. The new managers probably picked up the pace after that. That was a couple of decades ago, but things have not changed that much over there. When that management style comes here, it will get "interesting"...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Fredrick Brooks (Brooks's law) collection of essays speak strongly of the failings of "top heavy" business organization in a product development environment.
Too bad nobody at lab126/Amazon ever read his collection of essays (although Amazon does sell it).

Try:
http://rapidshare.com/files/12559489..._man_month.pdf
Or ask google for a copy.

F. Brooks lead the development of OS/360

Edit:
24 pages of management and other "senior" job openings?
Aw, come on now, this is supposed to be the "Next Kindle" not the "Next OS/360"!

Last edited by knc1; 06-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #27
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
@tvjohn: As usual, check the logs (;dumpMessages) .
Thank you NiLuJe. I couldn't remember how to do that on K4NT, as simply typing it didn't produce anything, so I ssh'd in & read the gzipped logs which didn't tell me much (by then I'd reset to Factory defaults).

However, thanks to:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=27

I now have 4.1.0
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #28
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
has anyone else received the 5.1.1 update besides the OP? Or are they just putting this on new KTs for now?
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@tvjohn: Keep in mind that you just tricked the updater to patch a file in the userstore instead of the system... You'll need to restore the *patched* file for the next update.

All these crappy ss hacks are making me sad, I might just dry-code K4 support in the K3 hack and release it with a big fat warning...

EDIT: Done, but please heed the big fat warning. It might very well sell your firstborn to the devil, or, more realistically, brick your kindle.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-06-2012 at 05:03 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
geekmaster

Quote:
All these crappy ss hacks are making me sad, I might just dry-code K4 support in the K3 hack and release it with a big fat warning...
Almost ALL of the recent bricks were caused by updating while a "crappy" screensaver hack was installed.