Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
dapjukebox
dapjukebox began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
View e-pubs using external viewer not working

Hi all,
I am having a problem viewing e-pub's from calibre using ADE as the reader.
The preferences are set to use external viewer but ADE never starts.
I can open e-pubs from windows explorer ok.
When selecting view the cursor changes briefly then returns to normal but ADE does not start. I have tried this on both my laptop and desktop PC.
They are both running Windows 7, the laptop is 32 bit and the desktop is 64 bit.
Not sure if this is relevant but the database is stored on a server running Windows Home Server.
I am beginning to think this is a Windows 7 permissions thing as it worked perfectly on Windows XP. I did try running Calibre as administrator but that made no difference.

Thanks for looking.
dapjukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Is ADE associated with EPUB?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
dapjukebox

Hi, thanks for the reply,
Yes, clicking on an epub in explorer opens with ADE just fine.
It does seem very odd!!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange, I'm not too familiar with 7, but on xp/vista i'd advise you to use something like registry cleanr to clean up your registry and then re-associate epub with ADE
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
dapjukebox

Further investigation has reveaed the problem but not the answer.
I made a copy of the database folder on the laptop and changed the location in Calibre to point to this folder and success - epubs open fine with ADE.
Resetting calibre back to the database folder on the server and back to same problem - epubs will not open with ADE.
Incidently they will open with the internal viewer.
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Most likely ADE has trouble opening the files on a network share, though I don't really see why that should be.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
dapjukebox

That was my first thought but ADE will open epubs from exporer if i navigate to the database folder on the server.
What does pushing the view button on calibre do?
Does it just launch ADE with the path to the book in the database folder or does it copy the book to a temp location first?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just uses the existing path
Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
dapjukebox

This is really puzzling.
I dug out an old laptop which still has Windows XP on it. Installed ADE and Calibre. Pointed Calibre at the existing database on the server and got the same result - ADE doesn't open. I am sure it used to work but that would have been an older version.
I then analyzed what was going on with ProcessMonitor.
There are some very strange things going on when the database is on the server. It appears that Calibre is getting the path to the e-pub wrong then gives up trying to launch ADE when it can't find the file.
I have attached 2 logs, 1 for a network database and 1 for a local database.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibre trace.zip (24.7 KB, 255 views)
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try mounting your network share as a disk drive and use that as the path to the calibre library in preferences
Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
dapjukebox

That works ok.
Does that mean that Calibre can't cope with UNC paths?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In this particular instance, apparently.