Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Surely it would depend on the type of music and also the general interest in music? Some of my younger musician friends are always listening to music, but I would say they are anything but depressed.
Listening to depressing and "dark" music is more likely a symptom of depression, not the cause and as Worldwalker says, a depressed person probably finds it difficult to concentrate on reading. As a pointer to indicate someone who is suffering from this condition it should probably be regarded as one of many symptoms - poor sleeping, irritability, spending a lot of time alone. Stopping someone listening to music might do more harm than good and articles like this should be careful that their effect is simply to provide ammunition for those who try to demonise pop music.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
"There is no dark side in the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark."
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #18
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I would be depressed, too, if I were a teen today. Their music is just so lame and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The music lovers just need to listen to more ABBA and less Kurt Cobain.
Er, Kurt Cobain is what kids listened to 20 years ago...

Today it's all hipster/emo stuff which is like updated versions of Perry Como, bland and tasteless

Last edited by JeremyR; 04-06-2011 at 05:12 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I would be depressed, too, if I were a teen today. Their music is just so lame and boring.

Today it's all hipster/emo stuff which is like updated versions of Perry Como, bland and tasteless
Uh not the boomin' rap krap. Tasteless, yeah, but certainly not bland.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I do think the title could be true.

If you listen to music, your imagination isn't really activated. If you read a book, it is. So, if you listen to music, you might be more prone to chew on (non)existing problems over and over and over again. While, if you read a book, you're transported away from your life and thus cannot dwell over its problems.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #21
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Well i don't think this to be true. I am a person that loves both a good book and listening to music (also i'm that type of dude who if the sound is OK will listen regardless of genre).
Not every kid that listens to music has suicidal things inside his ""depressed" brain...
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I do think the title could be true.

If you listen to music, your imagination isn't really activated. If you read a book, it is. So, if you listen to music, you might be more prone to chew on (non)existing problems over and over and over again. While, if you read a book, you're transported away from your life and thus cannot dwell over its problems.
I highly disagree! The fact that ones imagination is engaged, is what helps the enjoyment of the music. Yes, people can multitask, but they're not "brain dead" otherwise. Plus why would you assume their problems are non-existent, are you in their heads? What a dismissive attitude.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
And Abba *30* years ago. (hint!)

(I know, if you need to explain the joke it's not a good joke...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Whaaaaa????

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #25
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:

Obviously not someone who listens to MIA.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #26
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Classic rock (and the likes of Cobain) saw a brief resurgence due to Rock Band and Guitar Hero. Hipster/emo stuff...? Alt rock (and of course pop) is all the rage.

I had an ABBA phase in college... stumbled onto them because several of their songs were covered by E-Rotic on some DDR mixes.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
ScienceDaily (Apr. 4, 2011) — Adolescents who spend more time listening to music are far more likely to have major depressive disorder, while young people who spend more time reading books are far less likely to have such a diagnosis, according to a University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine study published in the April edition of the journal Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0404161817.htm
That sounds like one of those surveys that says taking drugs makes your hair grow long because they've noticed a lot of long haired people take drugs.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #28
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
One symptom of major depression is ceasing to enjoy things that one normally enjoys. In other words, if you normally like reading, depression will make you not particularly enjoy it or want to do it. However, music is easy. No effort required.
I went off music as well, didn't listen to anything for years. Just watched the news on endless loop. But I'm the sort of person that sits down and listens to music, I don't just have it on as background wallpaper.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
You should be a therapist.
Oh, I have thought about it!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #30
David71
Enthusiast
David71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have been very much into music and books for as long as I can remember. I have always been an active listener when it comes to music and it is as engaging to me as any book I have ever read. The fact that I write and play music certainly has something to do with that, but even before I could play an instrument music was never background to me.

Both reading books and listening to music have always brought me great pleasure and they will bring me out of a bad mood. Of course, I've never suffered from depression so I really can't personally comment on the premise of the article. It seems to me that music is a quicker fix in that it could reinforce a depressed mood more easily than a book could. It's more of a visceral experience for most people, especially teens. As always, IMO.
David71 is offline   Reply With Quote