Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #196
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Both of mine came only in the Kindle black box, no outer box or wrap.
That's interesting. All of my Kindles have always come boxed inside another box. I wonder why the difference.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #197
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Mine was shipped only in the black box as well. I wonder if that's possibly causing them to get damaged in some way? Most electronics are shipped with more padding/protection. I would have expected the black box to be placed in a cardboard box and surrounded by those plastic air cushion things.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that got a UPS label directly on the box and sent to me!

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #198
chocochibi
chocochibi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If I do decide to go the replacement route, I know it's best to go through kindle CS, but do you find the chat or phone option to be the best?
chocochibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #199
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
All my three kindles were only shipped in the Kindle labeled boxes. No outer box was ever used.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #200
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
My replacement just arrived...

My original didn't have the discolored blotchiness others have, just one of the LEDs looked to be "brighter" than the others..which cast its light slightly further into the words and was more white colored. Also had the bar of light on the left edge.

The new one has all the LEDs even, the bar of white isn't as noticeable (but it's still there..), and a new problem - a blotchy discoloration of the right top corner! I also noticed a few stuck (or dead) pixels during the start up screen...but it's not noticeable otherwise.

Surprisingly, the new one has a brighter light than my old one, which would cast more of a greenish hue...and actually gave me some eye strain.

The blotchiness on the new one seems liveable (as long as it doesn't expand..), but I'm really liking the brighter and more even LED's....

Probably going to stay with this one, although I'm starting to wonder how the Kobo Glow is going..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #201
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocochibi View Post
If I do decide to go the replacement route, I know it's best to go through kindle CS, but do you find the chat or phone option to be the best?
I prefer the phone personally.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #202
jswinden
Nameless Being

On a whim I decided to compare how my replacement PW looked by comparison with a clip on light. So I photographed it with a MightBright clip on light as the only light source (right image) and the built in light source (left image). I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #203
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Low level PW light does that.

Quote:
On a whim I decided to compare how my replacement PW looked by comparison with a clip on light. So I photographed it with a MightBright clip on light as the only light source (right image) and the built in light source (left image). I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Your off color white on the PW is due to your very low PW light setting. Move it up to level 22 as recommended by Amazon and it will be BRIGHT WHITE.

Level 22 is the default light setting on all shipped PW's. Leave it there and you will have a much different experience.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #204
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

I think you have it backwards. Clip on light looks better.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #205
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just turned on my PW to see if I could find a dark image to compare with yours, which ghosting looks very bad BTW. I opened a book and it initially displayed the text as all centered! I've never ever had the happen before. I paged forward and backward and it went away though. FW glitch I guess.
Maybe not a FW glitch. Odd things can happen with a Mobipocket eBook if the page on the screen happens to fall in between styles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Jack has my sympathies. 2 down and 1 to go...................

Some folks simply have bad luck.
You aren't helping things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #207
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I think you have it backwards. Clip on light looks better.
I didn't say which I think is better.

PW light level was set to 14, BTW.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #208
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
My replacement PW says "Aeroplane Mode" (rather than Airplane Mode, as on my original PW). I'm trying to figure out if this means they're diverting units intended for another country in order to fill the initial U.S. replacement demand. I guess this also means there's some localization done per device and not necessarily specific to your Amazon account. (Both are correctly reg'd to my US-based Amazon account.)

Who says Aeroplane rather than Airplane? UK?

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #209
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may want to double check that you are using U.S. English. I thought I was until I saw "personalise".

The choices are close together and I think I just tapped the wrong one (for me) during set-up.

Last edited by daffy4u; 10-09-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: clarification - there really is no "wrong one"
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #210
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
My replacement PW says "Aeroplane Mode" (rather than Airplane Mode, as on my original PW). I'm trying to figure out if this means they're diverting units intended for another country in order to fill the initial U.S. replacement demand. I guess this also means there's some localization done per device and not necessarily specific to your Amazon account. (Both are correctly reg'd to my US-based Amazon account.)

Who says Aeroplane rather than Airplane? UK?
Change language from UK English to USA English. I heard others saying that when they set theirs up as UK English it used Aeroplane mode.

Does it have 24 hour clock now (military time)?