Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
tmastern
tmastern began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Formatting a pdf or html.....

OK you e book experts!

I downloaded the free version of "Blindsight", as mentioned in another thread.
Now, I'm a complete newbie at Adobe (except the reader version!), and would like to transfer this book to the e-reader with formatting, etc. in tact. What do I need to do to either make the pdf version readable, or get the rtf version to look as good as the formatted pdf?
I know I could probably search for this info in previous threads, but, as an American, I need immediate gratification!

Thanks,
tm
tmastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Portable_Reader

Check out the wiki. It has Content Formatting - Best Known Methods section.

If you need more help, include sufficient information. What format is the original book in? Without this information, its not really possible to give you a recommendation.

If the original is MS word compatible, then open it up in Word - set the default font size to 14-20pts and then "save as" an rtf file. If you right click on the document and open the properties dialog, you can set the Title and Author that the Reader will display in its directory.

If its a pdf file original, you have a much tougher job. No easy way to do this and keep all the formatting. It will change no matter what method you use because the Reader's screen is not the default letter page size that most pdfs are formatted to. Do you have a method for extracting text from a PDF? The free reader does not allow you to do this.

Last edited by Fugubot; 12-12-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
tmastern
tmastern began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Hi, thanks for the reply!

The book in question is downloadable in both html and unsecured pdf. I have a full version of adobe (I think 5.0 or there abouts), but have never really messed with it much.
I changed the page size from 8"x11" to 4"x6", but I haven't had a chance to put that on the reader to see how it looks. I know 8"x11" is basically unreadable.

tm
tmastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Given an unsecured PDF, you may be able to save to RTF directly. I don't know if 5 does that or not, we've got 7 here at the office, and it does it fine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote