Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Daughter of Elysium (SF) free with coupon at Smashwords.

Arc Manor Publishers are doing a free ebook each month at Smashwords.

For June it's Daughter of Elysium by Joan Slonczewski, coupon code KQ25S

See http://www.phoenixpick.com/catalogue/PPickings.htm for a new free ebook each month.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks Paul
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Another ePub abomination.
Poor authors who got to put up with their works represented so poorly.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It's Smashwords' terrible automated conversion system (& to some extent, poorly or inconsistently formatted source material).
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Thanks, Paul. This is a "loose" sequel to "A Door Into Ocean".

It's strange they're offering a sequel for free - but the first book in the series isn't available on Smashwords.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I took the PDF and converted it to ePub with Calibre. Looks much better. Not perfect but at least bearable. With some hand editing (Sigil) it could get a good formatting.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Shahid
Phoenix Pick Publishers
Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
Publisher's Apologies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
My name is Shahid and I'm with Arc Manor Publishers (Phoenix Pick is our SF imprint).

I would like to apologize for the atrocious quality of the epub version of "Daughter of Elysium" offered through Smashwords.

Being a small (tiny really) publisher trying to cope with the multitude of ebook formats we decided to use Smashwords as a 'one-stop' venue for all our conversions without realizing what a lousy job they were doing with epub.

At least for the July free ebook of the month we are going to test a different (non-Smashwords) venue (if we use Smashwords, we are required by them to use their conversion).

And for July, while I can't release the name of the book yet, I can promise you that it is a great one--one of the most widely acclaimed books we have published so far (by both readers and critics).

Shahid
Arc Manor Publishers
Shahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for this deal! I just downloaded the epub, mobi, and pdb formats of this book. Surely one of them will work well enough on my PB 301+.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahid View Post
My name is Shahid and I'm with Arc Manor Publishers (Phoenix Pick is our SF imprint).

[...]

And for July, while I can't release the name of the book yet, I can promise you that it is a great one--one of the most widely acclaimed books we have published so far (by both readers and critics).

Shahid
Arc Manor Publishers
Welcome to Mobileread, Shahid!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Shahid
Phoenix Pick Publishers
Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.Shahid can teach chickens to fly.

Hi all, based on complaints on the quality of conversion we are attempting to go a different route...I hope you find this version better (not, perfect, its still a work in progress, but hopefully a better reading experience than through Smashwords).

Let me know...I'll keep an eye on this thread for any feedback.

Cheers,

Shahid
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Clicking on the link you provided doesn't work for me since it trys to open Outlook. I use AOL for my mail.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahid View Post
Hi all, based on complaints on the quality of conversion we are attempting to go a different route...I hope you find this version better (not, perfect, its still a work in progress, but hopefully a better reading experience than through Smashwords).

Let me know...I'll keep an eye on this thread for any feedback.

Cheers,

Shahid
Hi and welcome, I poked around your websites a bit. I'm not picky about people needing to have the perfect web 2.0 or 3.0 or whatever design but your pages are more than a little clunky if you have any budget at all for it you might want to invest in having a professional them up a bit.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Shahid
Phoenix Pick Publishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Clicking on the link you provided doesn't work for me since it trys to open Outlook. I use AOL for my mail.
Manually typing the web address should work (I presume you are talking about the link here, rather than a link from our site).

Regards,

Shahid