Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Just what is Calibre?

I've read through various technical pages, but I just can't get my head around what Calibre does.

Am I right in thinking it is just a replacement for the Sony e-reader library software?

It doesn't replace or otherwise alter the firmware, does it?

Either way, I've been thinking about moving to Calibre for a while now, but it seems there some issues with using it under Win v7 64-bit. Does anyone have any info. on the point, also?

Certainly the Sony offering is , uh, '"sub-optimal" in this scenario, so I've got to find some sort of replacement...

John
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
It's not a replacement for Sony library software, you will still need it if you plan to buy on the Sony Store.
Calibre is an ebook management app, it will let you organise your library, transfer books to your reader, convert between several ebook formats and preview books in your PC.
And it is not limited in any way to Sony products.
That's a quick summary.
And welcome to the forum.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Calibre is ebook cataloging software. It also allows you to capture and display additional metadata for your ebook such as a synopsis, where the book falls in a series, genre, rating, a graphical cover, etc. Several display options let you sort and view the information as you wish.

Other very important features allow you to capture newpaper and periodical feeds, and to convert non-drm'd ebooks to most other ebook formats to read your ebooks on multiple devices. I personally keep the majority of my ebooks on my laptop and only download 50 or so at a time to my reader. The format conversion also allows me to get ebooks from many sources and to share my ebooks with friends.

I personally love Calibre and suggest you give it a try. What's to lose?

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote