Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best for storing, displaying, and annotating 2-column PDF's? (e.g. research articles)

Hey all,

Sorry if the question in the post's Title is easy to answer, but I've spent quite some time going through threads, and I still can't find the info I'm looking for...

Basically, I'm a researcher and I want to be able to store, display, and annotate 2-column PDF's. I want the page to fit on a screen without physically rotating the device or reading 2-column text a half-page at a time. I don't mind converting PDF's to the proper format via full-version Acrobat. (Finally, ideally I'd be able to transfer the annotated version back to my PC, but that's not crucial.)

As I understand it, I'm going to need a large screen to display such documents the way I want, so I'm looking at the iRex or the Kindle DX. But from what I understand, the Kindle DX has no annotating functionality for PDF's. Even if somebody here confirms that the iRex can indeed do everything that I want, it's abnormally expensive, right?

Any info appreciated!
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The iRex is definitely too rich for me, but I'm not sure its abnormally expensive since it is the only one that does all that stuff [grin].

There are some folks that think its a definite winner. You can visit the thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49817
and see/ask questions of an owner.

If it doesn't meet your needs, I would suggest you really only have two other alternatives at this point. 1) Look for a tablet pc, or 2) Wait for the market to evolve.

I do not have experience with iRex and folks that do seem to love them. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the state of eInk today does not support seamless annotation capability. I think you will have to buy a tablet, or wait for newer screen technology, such as pixel qi.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50694

The above thread was started by another member, Moejoe, and might be an interesting consideration for your needs....
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iRex DR1000S is probably the only eInk device on the market which will meet your needs. It is expensive compared with 6" eInk readers, but that is not the market it is competing in - it's aimed squarely at the business community and is priced against Tablet PC, against which it stacks up very well. I have one, and consider it to be well worth the money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iRex DR1000S is probably the only eInk device on the market which will meet your needs. It is expensive compared with 6" eInk readers, but that is not the market it is competing in - it's aimed squarely at the business community and is priced against Tablet PC, against which it stacks up very well. I have one, and consider it to be well worth the money.
Harry, can you help educate me on this? How does the iRex DR1000s do with annotation? My question is more specifically having to do with the combination of touch screen and e-ink. I have assumed that, because of e-ink's relatively slow refresh, a touch screen e-ink would lag behind the actual drawing on the screen. What is your actual experience? If so, is it a problem?

Thanks
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Harry, can you help educate me on this? How does the iRex DR1000s do with annotation? My question is more specifically having to do with the combination of touch screen and e-ink. I have assumed that, because of e-ink's relatively slow refresh, a touch screen e-ink would lag behind the actual drawing on the screen. What is your actual experience? If so, is it a problem?

Thanks
Search youtube for "irex digital reader" and you should find the video that helps to answer your question. The lag appears to be pretty minimal.

Personally, I'm mainly concerned with some of the infamous 'bugs' and the high pricetag...

-cmhsieh54
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eInk screens have the ability to do a partial refresh, which is very quick. The "lag" between drawing and "seeing" what you draw on the screen really is minimal.

cmhsieh54 - iRex really have got it "right" with the current 1.6 firmware. The machine is rock-solid and I have personally not encountered any significant bugs.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This video should remove any concerns you have about the delay lag:

Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
emellaich
Wizard

Thanks Harry and cmhsieh54 for the pointers to the Youtube videos
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
My DR 1000s will display what I write just about as fast as I can write it.
I frequently use my DR to put notes on my PDF documents and store them there for future reference. My DR 1000s was definitely money well-spent and has only gotten better with the firmware updates.

Last edited by PhishStyx; 07-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote