Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast
QU2C371FcY began at the beginning.

Device: none
What's the easiest way to get a book on the kindle from TXT or HTML?

I am looking to put a bunch of books on the Kindle, but they are in either TXT or HTML format. I would like to embed the cover image, and have the book support basic chapters. What's the quickest way to do that?

I have no problem digging into the HTML.
QU2C371FcY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you using Windows? If so I'd go with either Mobipocket Creator or Book Designer. It depends on how much formatting you want to be able to do and stuff. There's Calibre too. You can try doing the myemail@free.kindle.com free conversion from Amazon and see if you get what you want that way. It's free and if what you get is good enough for you it's quick too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

I tried Calibre but couldn't figure out how to edit chapters. I need to dig in a bit deeper.
I haven't tried Mobipocket Creator or Book Designer, so i'll add those to my list.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by QU2C371FcY View Post
I tried Calibre but couldn't figure out how to edit chapters. I need to dig in a bit deeper.
I haven't tried Mobipocket Creator or Book Designer, so i'll add those to my list.
Your best bet might be Book Designer (lots of info in the MR Wiki). In a lot of ways it's like editing in a word processor.

The main Wiki page...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

Hints and Tips...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book...Hints_And_Tips

The visual guide Andybaby put together...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book...raphical_Guide
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

All three of those applications seem really convoluted. I am sure i could figure them out with time, but i am planning on giving the Kindle as a gift. I was hoping there's an easier way.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

Ok, i finally managed to figure out how to create a book with Mobipocket Creator from HTML source. I just had to clean up the HTML before hard.
Thanks for the help.

Here's what sux though, i got the Kindle as a gift for my dad, but now i am considering returning it, and getting a DX instead.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
PeJoMe
PeJoMe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Just in case you haven't read my new thread explaining the new website I created, it's called www.pejome.com. What it does is give you an easy way to access the 28,000+ free books from the Project Gutenberg website directly from your Kindle.

If you typically download from Project Gutenberg, the file will be in an HTML format. From that point you will have to convert the HTML to a MOBI file. After that, you will need to plug your Kindle into the computer and put the converted book on the Kindle. If you were to use my website, you can just navigate to the URL above on your Kindle's web browser, find the book you want, and the site will convert the book for you and will let you save the book on your Kindle directly. In my opinion, this is the easiest way to get a book on the Kindle from TXT or HTML.

If you decide to try PeJoMe, you can E-mail the link on the web site with your feedback if you like. Thanks!!
PeJoMe is offline   Reply With Quote