Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
ddaneel
ddaneel began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Highlight game

I like to mark/highlight words while reading, and search for them later. Can any eInk reader device (in particular my shortlisted candidates Iliad and Cybook) do the same?

In Mobipocket Reader v6.2 on my XP laptop, I can do it with a right click, but it seems this feature disappears in the mobi reader on the Iliad or Gen3 , and it's not available in other formats either. Can lookup in a dictionary, can underline or circle, but cannot get a list of highlighted words to be used later.

Of course on the Iliad you could develop the app you want (great job daudi!), but I am wondering if such a basic highlighting feature is available by default on any device.

The reason for the highlight search is a - little language game -

I usually read books in English, Italian, Spanish, sometimes Dutch. When I find a word I don't know, I mark it e.g. while I am on the bus, look up the meaning later at home, and build a mini dictionary (foreign word, meaning, example = book page/excerpt). Later I go through the list and try to remember the meaning for the word, or the word for the meaning. You could play this with a normal dictionary too, here in addition the examples are linked to books I've read, so that I know the context, and I can better place the word and its meaning. So far I have done this on pen and paper, I would have hoped for a digital solution too. Once I have the file in some format with highlight information in it, a little script could build the dictionary.
ddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Kindle can highlight, but I don't know what it does with the highlighted text. It can also copy a page to myclippings.txt.

My main reader is an HP Jornada that runs WinCE. My version of Mobi Reader can also highlight text. You might want to consider a device with an LCD screen instead of Eink.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The Kindle will draw a box around one or more whole lines of text. It's visually quite effective.

It also copies those lines to the file "My Clippings.txt" so you can go there to find all the lines you have marked. You'll have to remember which word was important on that line!

For instance, here is the "My Clippings.txt" contents from a hightlight (extra line spaces removed):
==========
Holy Bible, Today's New International Version, TNIV (International Bible Society)
- Highlight Loc. 26714-18 | Added on Monday, May 12, 2008, 12:47 AM
22Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.

And attached is the version in the Kindle book (of a different hightlight - sorry!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-27708.gif
Views:	426
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	13060  

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 05-27-2008 at 06:56 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
ddaneel

Thanks guys for the advices. Unfortunately here in Europe the kindle is not really the solution, as all the amazon capabilities are not available yet.

So I think I'll go for the Cybook, bookmark the page, and I'll have to remember which word(s) on that page. I usually don't mark more than 3-4 words per session, as I want to learn just a few ones per time. Most of the time is pure reading.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
ddaneel

Indeed I went for a Cybook Gen3, 512MB. Now I just have to wait 12 business days. Gosh, they seem pretty busy in that office in Paris.
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
www.apolloxxi.com site claims to send the Cybook in 2 days... Maybe you'll wanna try it?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote