Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is Mobileread "crashing" anyone else's Chrome browser?

I've tried and tried to get it to happen on other sites, but it only seems to happen on Mobileread when typing a response/post. Not a full-blown crash, mind you, but the blue "Oh snap! Something went wrong" screen. I can reload (and not lose my partial post), but the functionality is severely limited (highlighting, scrolling) until I restart the browser.

Just started happening very recently. If it's not happening to anyone else, I'll start looking for solutions elsewhere, but I wanted to see if perhaps others were experiencing anything similar with Mobileread and Chrome.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Negative. All Chrome systems are a go.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've tried and tried to get it to happen on other sites, but it only seems to happen on Mobileread when typing a response/post. Not a full-blown crash, mind you, but the blue "Oh snap! Something went wrong" screen. I can reload (and not lose my partial post), but the functionality is severely limited (highlighting, scrolling) until I restart the browser.

Just started happening very recently. If it's not happening to anyone else, I'll start looking for solutions elsewhere, but I wanted to see if perhaps others were experiencing anything similar with Mobileread and Chrome.
I'm using Chrome to respond as a test. I don't use Chrome enough to judge, but it seems to have no problems with this post. It's been my experience that crashes in Chrome are very, very rare.

In addition to quoting you, I'm adding a small graphic just to see if that affects the browser, but it doesn't seem to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	z Avatar-Jester.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	125607

And here are 20 animated smileys:

No matter what I throw into the post, Chrome seems to handle it just fine.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just crashed trying to type this post. Redoing (quicker this time).

If no one else is getting the blue Chrome-screen of "Oh Snap!" I guess I'll have to start looking at browser extensions and addons, then. Thanks for checking.

In case it matters, I'm using Mobileread's middle-of-the-road "Standard" message interface setting (miscellaneous options) as opposed to the Basic or Enhanced Interface (full-blown WYSIWYG) options.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-20-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No problems here with Chrome.

When I have had issues elsewhere, it's usually been directly traceable to one of the several plugins and extensions that I use.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a lot more crashes with Firefox before I disabled one of the Norton add-ons. I thought NoScript was the culprit, but my thinking now is that Norton and Firefox don't always play well together, especially when doing searches.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Norton
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I had a lot more crashes with Firefox before I disabled one of the Norton add-ons. I thought NoScript was the culprit, but my thinking now is that Norton and Firefox don't always play well together, especially when doing searches.
Then again, Norton and Windows don't play well either.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Is Mobileread "crashing" anyone else's Chrome browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then again, Norton and Windows don't play well either.

I keep hearing such comments, but note that it's the number one choice of PC Mag: Both Norton's Internet Security and their 360 editions head PC Mag's list of recommendations. Of course, I don't have firsthand knowledge as to how impartial those recommendations are.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp
Old 07-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My go-to Windows antivirus is the free yet well-performing AVG (also a regular recommendation by PC Mag).

I think the main reason why people use Norton is because they pay a lot of money to have it preinstalled by OEMs. Then it pops up alerts warning unsuspecting people, who don't know a lot about computers, that the trial subscription is expired, to get people to pay them. Seems incredibly dishonest, and I wonder why their business model doesn't allow for people who know what they are doing to pay them?

I would never pay for a program that does exactly the same thing (and just as well) as something that is free.

Also worth noting is that Norton is well-known for requiring exorbitant amounts of RAM. It consumes more system resources than any other AV, in my experience and from what I've heard.

But the bottom line is, it isn't your AV that protects you at the end of the day -- it is your Internet IQ.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-23-2014 at 12:53 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Still haven't tracked the issue down, but it still only ever happens when typing a post on Mobileread. Never anywhere else (and I go everywhere and do everything ).
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
My go-to Windows antivirus is the free yet well-performing AVG (also a regular recommendation by PC Mag).
I used to use the free AVG until the version where it noticeably slowed down the computer. Then I dumped it in favor of the free Comodo.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Just as an aside, Firefox does not crash when using MR.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've found Norton/Symantec and McAfee both to be tremendous resource hogs, and no better at detecting threats than other options. I've used both AVG and Avast, and while I appreciate free software, their ads and popups became a bit too intrusive for me, especially considering the non-tech types I usually install it for. I got tired of "there's a blue box on my screen, what do I do?" calls.
I've just started using Microsoft Security Essentials, which seems to work as well as any.

Last edited by ApK; 10-21-2014 at 10:29 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No problems here on Chrome Version 36.0.1985.125 m (on Win 7 & 8.1) running Evernote Web Clipper, AdBlock and Ghostery. My MR interface is whatever the default is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote