Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Thamisgith
Thamisgith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Footnotes on Kindle Books

First up, I'm new here - so hello everyone. Greetings from Scotland.

I am currently using my original Kindle 2.0 (my son has absconded with the Kindle 3/Keyboard). I absolutely love reading on the Kindle and actually prefer it to "real" books.

The one exception being books which use a lot of footnotes. Terry Pratchett would be a good example of an author who uses this device.

I find that the act of moving the cursor to the footnote number, clicking, being taken to a separate page, moving the cursor back, clicking, being returned to the original text, which for some reason has now been slightly re-paginated, is intrusive and distracting.

Am I the only one?

Is there another, better, way to do this?
Thamisgith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unfortunately, this is the best that can be done at present.

I haven't checked, but I'm hopeful that the new KF8 format that Amazon are releasing shortly will give book creators some way to define a pop-up text for a link, that appears on the same page as the original. Or else that it allows footnotes to be rendered on the same page without a popup.

But these are currently only hopes. I don't know if KF8 will have such a feature.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Thamisgith

Oh well - I'll just have to wait and see if it gets better then.

Having a pop up appear on the same page sounds like a good idea. It would definitely be better than the current arrangement.

Thankfully, it's only a problem with a relatively small percentage of books.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Thamisgith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Enjoy the Forum Thamisgith
Thanks for the welcome Phillip. I'm certainly enjoying it thus far.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamisgith View Post
I find that the act of moving the cursor to the footnote number, clicking, being taken to a separate page, moving the cursor back, clicking, being returned to the original text, ...
Actually, on the Kindle it's slightly easier than you describe. True, you have to navigate the cursor to the footnote jumber and click to get to the footnote, but once there and done reading it you only have to press the "Back" button to return to the main text. There is no need the move the cursor to some "return to text" link.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Thamisgith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Actually, on the Kindle it's slightly easier than you describe. True, you have to navigate the cursor to the footnote jumber and click to get to the footnote, but once there and done reading it you only have to press the "Back" button to return to the main text. There is no need the move the cursor to some "return to text" link.
Thanks dwig - that will certainly help a little.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If I were you, I'd look into getting a Kindle Touch when they are available.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Thamisgith

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
If I were you, I'd look into getting a Kindle Touch when they are available.
I'm in the UK, so I doubt if they'll be available here for a while. Still, at least I'll have the chance to get some user feedback before buying.

I just got my son the new entry level Kindle. It certainly looks good to me. Nice screen, fast page turns etc.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
valex
Enthusiast
valex began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:

There are at least two ways. Unfortunately both require some work because native Kindle software does not support book-like footnotes. The first way is to install Coolreader (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148850). Then you would need to convert your books to a format which is supported by Coolreader (fb2, epub, etc) using Calibre for instance (or find them in those formats). I did not try it on Kindle but I do use Coolreader on my Android phone. See its homepage for some screenshots http://coolreader.org/e-index.htm

The second way is to use one of the few fb2 to pdf converters which create pdf files formatted to fit Kindle's screen exactly. That way you would have near printed book quality (hyphenation, footnotes, proper professional typographical formatting, etc), but you would lose ability to change the font of the book on the fly since pdf format does not allow that. You can re-create the pdf with different font settings of course. In order to use this method, again, the conversion is needed since only books in fb2 format are supported. Unfortunately *-to-fb2 converter in Calibre does not support footnotes fully but there is a script that corrects that. Here is a couple of examples (ignore the Russian) http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=665733#665733, http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=657911#657911

I personally use the second method but it is much more involved since the converters need to be configured via text files and the process is somewhat sensitive to formatting errors in the fb2 files. The good thing is that they are actively developed and bugs get fixed quickly.

Last edited by valex; 11-06-2011 at 06:05 PM.
valex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I haven't checked, but I'm hopeful that the new KF8 format that Amazon are releasing shortly will give book creators some way to define a pop-up text for a link, that appears on the same page as the original.
You don't need KF8 for that; my old Cybook Gen3 did it that way with footnotes in original Mobi files back in 2007. I know because I once opened a bug report about it (when the pop-up window was too large, it crashed the Gen3).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
First up, I'm new here - so hello everyone. Greetings from Scotland.

I am currently using my original Kindle 2.0 (my son has absconded with the Kindle 3/Keyboard). I absolutely love reading on the Kindle and actually prefer it to "real" books.

The one exception being books which use a lot of footnotes. Terry Pratchett would be a good example of an author who uses this device.

I find that the act of moving the cursor to the footnote number, clicking, being taken to a separate page, moving the cursor back, clicking, being returned to the original text, which for some reason has now been slightly re-paginated, is intrusive and distracting.

Am I the only one?

It's a limitation of Mobipocket. When you jump back to the page you were originally on, it might not render correctly as it doesn't render the tags on the previous page. Mobipocket is not all that good going backwards.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
PiVi1962
PiVi1962 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Actually, there is a third way to handle footnotes in a text: writing them down directly in the text, like an "in text" note.

If we put ourselves in a borderline scenario for a footnote in a published book on paper, than this could be the case:

----------- beginning of example

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate (1)

(1) Foootnote text.

----------- page break ---------

velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

----------- end of example

In other words, it is accepted that a footnote follows immediately the text to wich it refers, that the footnote can be in whatever point of the sentence itself, and that the reader may have to turn at least one page (more if the footnote is long more than one page) to continue reading the main text.

Well, it is possible to reproduce exactly the same thing in an ebook:

----------- beginning of example (2)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate (1)

(1) Foootnote text.

velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

----------- end of example (2)

The page break will occur in different parts of the text depending on the character size.
If we really desire to start a new page with "velit", we can insert a pagebreak right at the end of the footnote.
PiVi1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle books