Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
turbulent
turbulent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Comments in content.opf with Sigil 0.9.2

Hi,

With Sigil 0.8.x, the file content.opf in the epub from plugin KindleImport contains some comments generated from the metadata of the original mobi/azw3 ebook, as followed:
Code:
    <!-- BEGIN INFORMATION ONLY 
<meta name="Cover ThumbNail Image" content="Images/image00253.jpeg" />
<meta name="Drm Ebookbase Book Id" content="0006002627397" />
<meta name="ASIN" content="B00QLSKYGU" />
END INFORMATION ONLY -->
After updated to v0.9.2, these comments seems to be automatically cleaned by Sigil. Is there any convenient way to keep them?
turbulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Unfortunately not. The opf is parsed and rebuilt from stored data structures to prevent constant reparsing to speed up performance. Comments are not kept as there is no place in the internal datastructures to keep them as comments can be put just about any place. I guess I could create a comment node for every major tag in the opf and collect them from anyplace inside that tag and store them. It just didn't seem to be worth the effort as the opf was meant to be machine readable (which is how it is used in Sigil). This has been true dince the Sigil 0.8.900 pre-releases if you do any operation that requires changes to the opf.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulent View Post
Hi,

With Sigil 0.8.x, the file content.opf in the epub from plugin KindleImport contains some comments generated from the metadata of the original mobi/azw3 ebook, as followed:
Code:
    <!-- BEGIN INFORMATION ONLY 
<meta name="Cover ThumbNail Image" content="Images/image00253.jpeg" />
<meta name="Drm Ebookbase Book Id" content="0006002627397" />
<meta name="ASIN" content="B00QLSKYGU" />
END INFORMATION ONLY -->
After updated to v0.9.2, these comments seems to be automatically cleaned by Sigil. Is there any convenient way to keep them?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:45 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Weird timing! I'm thinking about adding a configurable option to KindleImport to preserve that KindleUnpack metadata. It would simply remove the html comment tags so all of those individual metas would remain a part of the opf. It would then be up to the user to delete/keep the data.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:02 AM   #4
turbulent
turbulent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi, DiapDealer

That's exactly what I need. And I'm just thinking asking you to consider adding this feature to KindleImport! Well, I'll wait for it.
turbulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulent View Post
Hi, DiapDealer

That's exactly what I need. And I'm just thinking asking you to consider adding this feature to KindleImport! Well, I'll wait for it.
KindleImport v0.80.6 should now do what you need. Read the instructions in the plugin's thread for changing the "preserve_kindleunpack_meta" preference to "true" (though it occurs to me that it will only work for AZW3/KF8 books and NOT the old-style mobis ... should be able to add that ability in the next version).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote