Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
yinozrade
yinozrade began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Which E-book reader should I buy?

I decide to buy an E-book reader, but I don’t know which brand is better after research. My budget is around $50, I don’t need extra features, I’ll only use for reading. I have found two, one is non-brand reader, another is kindle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindl...item5403617bde
The first one configurates with 7inch LCD screen, its built-in 4GB memory is big enough for me, it supports multi-language OSD. Other functions like music player and video player, I don’t concern about it.
The size of the second one is 6 inch. The capacity of it is 2GB, and the resolution of reader is up to 800 X 600. Compared to the non-brand reader, I found a special feature is that it can connect to internet via Wi-Fi. In addition, the run time of battery is 730 hours.
Please give me some advice. I’ll appreciate your feedback, thanks.
yinozrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
peterkobovox
peterkobovox began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis, voyage, nook glowlight plus, kobo aura one
i would recommend kindle instead of no brand ereader. It is tested and excellent support from reputable company behind it
peterkobovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The Kindle. The non-brand eReader doesn't even have an e-Ink screen, it's got a TFT LCD. If you want more memory (4 GBs), you could probably find a refurbished or used Kindle Touch in your price range also.

The first one listed here ...

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-e...s=kindle+touch

... is used "like new" for $55.

Or go here for other choices ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...kindle%20touch

Good luck.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I would buy a Kindle.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
IA with the others. If your choices are these two, buy the Kindle. Amazon has great customer service and if something does happen to the Kindle, they will definitely help you!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
non brand,do they have customer service?
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
If you are a bit patient, and live in the US, you can make your $50 price point by waiting for the basic Kindle model to go on sale. Sometimes (not now) Amazon has it on sale, and sometimes you can find it on sale at an office supply store.

You also could make your price point by purchasing an original Kindle in like-new condition as an Amazon warehouse deal for $48.26. They are slapping a no warranty notice on it, which probably means 90 days. If you watch the Amazon Warehouse Deals web page, you may find something newer in a few days -- their selection tonight is not the best.

You are fairly safe with no warranty if you are gentle with your possessions. But the great thing about their eInk Kindle warranty, for the rest of us, is that they have historically honored it even in case of screen cracking.

Note that the United States is the only country where public libraries commonly lend eBooks in the Kindle format.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
If you are a bit patient, and live in the US, you can make your $50 price point by waiting for the basic Kindle model to go on sale. Sometimes (not now) Amazon has it on sale, and sometimes you can find it on sale at an office supply store.
Yeah, I was thinking of that also. They had them on sale for Mother's Day. I wonder if they'll put them on sale again for Father's Day? In my area you can find them (either the original silver or black) at pawn shops or on Craigslist, sometimes really cheaply (I found a couple for $5 each).

Last edited by rcentros; 06-01-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Yes I would wait for the Kindle to go on sale.
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yeah, I was thinking of that also. They had them on sale for Mother's Day. I wonder if they'll put them on sale again for Father's Day? In my area you can find them (either the original silver or black) at pawn shops or on Craigslist, sometimes really cheaply (I found a couple for $5 each).
Won't happen (sale for Father's day), they assume fathers don't read.

As others have said, Kindle. It is perhaps the most popular ereader being sold so plenty of accessories, peer support, etc. This is especially helpful for non-techies.

If you are technically inclined, then there are other options.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Definitely a Kindle between those two choices. Also, even if you don't use Amazon content, you can send quite a bit of content to the Kindle through the "send to kindle" app or whatever it is, and that is handy.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Won't happen (sale for Father's day), they assume fathers don't read.

As others have said, Kindle. It is perhaps the most popular ereader being sold so plenty of accessories, peer support, etc. This is especially helpful for non-techies.

If you are technically inclined, then there are other options.
yes,yes lol. fathers only play 2048 on Ipad lol

Agree,it wont happen in father's day
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
applewine
Enthusiast
applewine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I like the hand hold-ability of the nook glow and original nook simple touch. If you want an e-reader for just overdrive then I'd go with the nook e-ink products. The kindle reader and newer reader are thinner and have too narrow sides for holding. The tablet readers can check out library books without a computer, but they weigh more and cost more.

If your budget is $50 then you have the original nook simple touch for $60 and your local public library with overdrive for free books. You will need a computer to check out and transfer the books. You can even get one used for $35 or so, but it may not have all the parts or be in perfect condition.

An older nook simple touch with overdrive is a very cheap way to read books from a local public library. You will need to spend more for the glow, which can be used all the time for a eye catching display.
applewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinozrade View Post
I have found two, one is non-brand reader, another is kindle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindl...item5403617bde
I am not a Kindle fan, but I strongly advise against a no-name LCD reader.
I have one of those. Not the same brand. They are advertised as e-readers, because they are too lousy for anything else.
Another red flag is the fact they do not list the display resolution, so you have to assume it is abysmal ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by applewine View Post
I like the hand hold-ability of the nook glow and original nook simple touch. If you want an e-reader for just overdrive then I'd go with the nook e-ink products. The kindle reader and newer reader are thinner and have too narrow sides for holding. The tablet readers can check out library books without a computer, but they weigh more and cost more.
If the eReader will mostly be for Overdrive, he might also consider the Sony T2 (factory refurbished for $50 at TigerDirect) ...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847

The advantage of this would be that it can download library books directly to the eReader (ADE is built-in).

But I like the Nook Simple Touch also. And the Kindles.

I don't know that original poster even mentioned Overdrive, however. I think that was brought in later.