Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lightbulb I Can't Believe No One's Started A Read An Ebook Week Thread Yet!™

Well, it's that time of the year, and Read an Ebook Week is upon us once more.

The official site has the links to the official participants, out of which you should note that Central Avenue Publishing and BookTaste will be rotating their freebies daily, from the looks of it.

(Tip if you missed the Central Avenue books for a given day: sometimes you can access the Google cached version of their RAEBW promo page and still find active download links for the previous day's freebies, depending on when Google last updated.)

Of course, the main venue for freebies and deals has traditionally been the Smashwords RAEBW sale. Participation seems to be considerably more limited this time around (or this being the weekend, authors just haven't gotten around to enrolling their books yet) but we still have some fairly nice stuff.

The really big thing this time around, and the one I'm personally most gleeful about, is the decision by Bev Editions to make their entire Smashwords-available catalogue free.

They've got some truly excellent backlist of Canadiana by established and in some cases renowned authors. There's a Leacock medal winner in there, a backlist antiquities mystery in a rather good long-running series that I've read from the library, some history and litfic, more mystery & satire; basically a bit of everything, much of it with favourable Library Journal, Globe & Mail, and Quill & Quire reviews, and all stuff I'd seriously recommend picking up.

Highlights include: The Outside Chance of Maximilian Glick, which is a coming-of-age litfic which was adapted into a film which I vaguely remember watching on CBC years and years ago when they got around to airing it.

The Xibalba Murders by Lyn Hamilton. I haven't read this, but I've read others in Hamilton's antiquities mystery series from the library and enjoyed them, and at the apparently $1.99 regular asking price, if any more volumes show up I'd seriously consider scooping the lot.

Anyway, the lot is (for now) free with coupon and it's all linked via Bev Editions' profile page, and I advise you to scoop them up before they change their minds.

Genre freebies and deals I spotted to follow in the next post.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Mushroom Publishing is offering several 1st in series sf/fantasy & historical and mystery novels free with coupon, including backlist items by Alan Burt Akers (originally published by DAW) and Moyra Caldecott. They also have 75% off a very few selected books.

Doranna Durgin (fantasy & romance, published by Baen & Harlequin) is offering three of her Baen novels free to download, several of her short stories free with coupon, and 25-50% discounts on many of her works (including backlist from Baen & Harlequin).

Gord Rollo (horror, published by Dorchester/Leisure) is offering a novel and some short stories free to download or free with coupon, and 25-50% off selected works, some of which I recognize as being his ex-Dorchester backlist.

Keith Brooke (sf, owner of Infinity Plus imprint which reprints many prominent sf/fantasy authors, forgot who's published him but he's got a prominent ISFDB entry which I'll edit in later) offers several short stories free with coupon, and 25-50% off selected works

Stephen Goldin (sf, fellow MR member author, don't know who's published him but will edit in ISFDB entry later) offers 25-75% off many of his works

Vivi Anna (romance, published by Samhain or Ellora, I forget which) offers several paranormal shorts free with coupon or to download

Cynthia Wicklund (romance, has had a story appear in one of those Mammoth anthologies) offers two novels and a story free with coupon or to download and 25-50% off selected works

Marina Oliver (contemporary & historical romance & romantic suspense & romantic historicals, published by Robert Hale among others, also under pseudonyms which she generally lists in the info of her books) offers 25-75% off selected works. She has a very long catalogue and you'll have to do a lot of digging to see the deals.

Phoebe Matthews (urban fantasy & romance, published by Dell & Avon, among others) offers a short story free to download and 50% off selected works

Those are the people I remember spotting earlier this morning when I had a quick look through the obvious categories. Further contributions welcome.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices

Christina Crooks is offer her two novels at 50% off and short story for free with coupon.

I have read her Thrill of the Chase. It was a cute story.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please keep in mind that no self-promotion of any kind - in any form - is allowed in the Freebies/Deals Forum.

There is an entire forum completely devoted to self-promotion.

Thank you.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I was at Smashwords yesterday and noted, too, that this year there seemed to be fewer participants. One book I wnat ot particularly note is the fourth volume of the Tales of Lost Power by Vincent Trigili is being offered at a 50% discount. If you have read the first 3 volumes and have been waiting to buy number 4, this is a good opportunity to do so. I know I grabbed a copy; I'm glad I was slow to buy it but now it is at the top of my TBR list.

I think all of Vincent Trigili's books are on sale (well, the first book is free). Here's a link: Vincent Trigili's Lost Power series.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I see frequent mentions of coupons in this thread. Will these coupons be available at some point?
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I see frequent mentions of coupons in this thread. Will these coupons be available at some point?
If you go to smashwords and click on the book you are interested in the coupon will apear near the price for example No Defence by Rangeley Wallace the coupon is listed under the price download link RW100. It's all a bit painful though as it's hard to know exactly which books are free or on special until you click through to them.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Highlights include: The Outside Chance of Maximilian Glick, which is a coming-of-age litfic which was adapted into a film which I vaguely remember watching on CBC years and years ago when they got around to airing it.
Agreed. I read that as a youth and really liked it. I picked up the other two Morley Torgov titles they had. Thanks for the link.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Thank you very much.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I was at Smashwords yesterday and noted, too, that this year there seemed to be fewer participants. One book I wnat ot particularly note is the fourth volume of the Tales of Lost Power by Vincent Trigili is being offered at a 50% discount. If you have read the first 3 volumes and have been waiting to buy number 4, this is a good opportunity to do so. I know I grabbed a copy; I'm glad I was slow to buy it but now it is at the top of my TBR list.

I think all of Vincent Trigili's books are on sale (well, the first book is free). Here's a link: Vincent Trigili's Lost Power series.
Book II of the series is free with the coupon until the 9th.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Stage for Traitors
click It's free during the site-wide promotion at Smashwords with the coupon.

Last edited by crich70; 03-04-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
If you go to smashwords and click on the book you are interested in the coupon will apear near the price for example No Defence by Rangeley Wallace the coupon is listed under the price download link RW100. It's all a bit painful though as it's hard to know exactly which books are free or on special until you click through to them.
if you start here:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/category/1/newest/1

You can click for group you are interested in (free or a % off or free w/ coupon) and still search by genre.

Or search by genre only - I think any coupon shows in the description, along with base price.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

One thing I've noticed is that it's often useful to go through a particular genre again at Smashwords. Sometimes books are added to the free (i.e.100% coupon) search area after a person goes through so a book that might not have shown up the 1st time through in say Science Fiction or Romance at 50k words will show up later.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Central Avenue is doing Mystery/Thrillers, I believe today, so be sure to check their links (I haven't looked yet, but they may not update until after business hours).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Actually, it is pretty easy to know which books go with which discount. Click on Read an eBook Week, which appears on the left of the home page. That will change the filter options so as to include the various discounts. Click on "RW100" 100% Off and only those ebooks that have that coupon attached to it will be listed.

If you want only a specific genre's ebooks listed, click on the genre before you click on RW100.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote