Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
irow
irow began at the beginning.

Device: none
changing line spacing doesnt work, how to fix (with calibre)

on some books changing the line spacing doesn't work (and some books do) on my kobo glo , how can i fix this with calibre? what are the step by steps instructions?
irow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can fix it in the .css but as most people you are hooked on calibre and seem lost without it.
Sorry I can't help you with that program as I never used it.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
dassie
dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
[Edited by moderator]

In Calibre, select the book, then press convert. Move to the Look And Feel page of the conversion options, and select the ´filter style information´ tab. In the other CSS Properties field, enter `line-height`. Then press Ok.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.
dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[Edited by moderator]

Ironically it just takes changing a value in one line of code in the .css to do the trick compared to the whole tinkering with calibre that you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassie View Post
In Calibre, select the book, then press convert. Move to the Look And Feel page of the conversion options, and select the ´filter style information´ tab. In the other CSS Properties field, enter `line-height`. Then press Ok.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-03-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
In addition, you can set this as your default way to convert: go to Preferences > Conversion > Common Options. Calibre also allows you to do large-batch conversions quickly and easily.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
You may notice that several posts have disappeared from this thread and several others have been edited.

Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required. Name calling ("troll") is not allowed.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi, I'm having trouble with line spacing in Kobo Glo too.

Quote:
[Edited by moderator]

After doing this I find I can adjust the line spacing in the reader, but at the minimum setting the lines have far too much space, way more than the original .epub did. Does anyone know if there a way to reduce the minimum line spacing without losing the ability to adjust it in the reader?

(The book I'm having trouble with is at http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...ast/toast.epub in case the problem is something specific to this book.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
To change the default line spacing options for the reader:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197843

Personally, I like 1.2 as a line-spacing setting.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
To change the default line spacing options for the reader:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197843
Thanks for the tip, but this doesn't seem to work for me. The value of readingLineHeight was 1.3 so I changed it to 1.2, ejected and powered the device off and on. But the spacing didn't change and upon checking the file I saw it had been changed back to 1.3 again.

However it seems to be that when I do an epub->epub conversion with calibre stripping the line-height terms from the .css, the line height can then be adjusted, but the minimum height is much more than 1.3, it is more like double-spaced.

Has anyone managed to convert a book that didn't allow the line spacing adjustment into one that does allow adjustment, and allows the spacing to be set to normal (1.3 or so) spacing? If so could you post a link to the .epub so I can try it out?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Granny Luddite
Granny Luddite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
GeoffR, I had the same problem with some non-DRM epubs. It's a little heavy handed but give this a try:

In the conversion options, under Look And Feel, select the "filter style information" tab. Check the "Fonts" box then in the "Other CSS Properties" add "font-size" (Other CSS Properties: font-size, line-height).

Checking the "Fonts" box will strip a lot of the font information from the epub (but not "font-size") and enable adjustment of fonts on the Kobo for some non-DRM epubs.

Calibre rev. 0.9.4
Kobo firmware rev. 2.1.5(r43939 10/12/12)
Granny Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

"Thanks for the tip, but this doesn't seem to work for me."

It didn't work because you had already opened that book with the previous settings. The line-height setting is retained for each book.

Changing the value in the configuration file only changes the default that will be used when you open a new book.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Toast modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Hi, I'm having trouble with line spacing in Kobo Glo too.

After doing this I find I can adjust the line spacing in the reader, but at the minimum setting the lines have far too much space, way more than the original .epub did. Does anyone know if there a way to reduce the minimum line spacing without losing the ability to adjust it in the reader?

(The book I'm having trouble with is at http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...ast/toast.epub in case the problem is something specific to this book.)
I looked at the book on my Glo and the lines looked okay but the space between paragraphs was minimal. When I changed from Charis SIL2 to Amasis, the line space increased dramatically, Then trying other fonts, the Gothic MB 101 and Ryumin gave the greatest line spacing -- as you said, the lines looked double spaced.

I opened the book in Sigil and looked through the stylesheet.css in the epub. As well as line-height: normal, most of the paragraph styles had a min-height: 13px line. I removed the min-height lines, changed the font sizes to be centered around 1em rather than .70588em (kept me from having to change the font size when I read the book), changed the text align from justify to left, replaced a mass of <p><br /></p> lines with <p>&nbsp;</p> lines to allow blank lines to show when reading the epub and added a cover image. Best I could do in 5 minute time limit.

When I put the book back on my Glo, the styling still looks poor but the line spacing does not vary as badly with font changes.

I'm going to attach a copy to this message.
Attached Files
File Type: epub toast.epub (224.6 KB, 391 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 12-05-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: usual typos....
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It didn't work because you had already opened that book with the previous settings. The line-height setting is retained for each book.

Changing the value in the configuration file only changes the default that will be used when you open a new book.
That isn't quite correct. The per book settings are only stored in the database if you open the font settings and make a change. Once you do that, whenever you open that book, it will open with those settings. Those settings are written to the configuration file and used as the default for other books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
EldRick
Evangelist

Quote:
That isn't quite correct. The per book settings are only stored in the database if you open the font settings and make a change. Once you do that, whenever you open that book, it will open with those settings. Those settings are written to the configuration file and used as the default for other books.
Agreed. Another way of stating it is that if you then change the default size a second time, the new default applies to new books opened, but not to the earlier one where you changed the size. The size in any given book "sticks" even if you subsequently change the default.

This supports GeoffR's observation that changing the default externally did not change the book with which he was having the problem, making him think that the default change "didn't work".
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Agreed. Another way of stating it is that if you then change the default size a second time, the new default applies to new books opened, but not to the earlier one where you changed the size. The size in any given book "sticks" even if you subsequently change the default.

This supports GeoffR's observation that changing the default externally did not change the book with which he was having the problem, making him think that the default change "didn't work".
Reading this, I'm not sure if you have it right, so I will give an example.

- Open book A and change a setting.
- Open book B and it will be displayed with the same settings as book A.
- Open book C and it will be displayed with the same settings as book A.
- Make changes to the settings for book C.
- Open book B and it will be displayed with the same settings as book C.
- Open book A and will be displayed with its stored settings.
- Open book B and it will be displayed with the same settings as book C.

So, changing the settings for a book gets saved for that book and becomes the default for any book that does not have saved settings. And settings will only be saved for a book if you change them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote