Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
ecccoman
ecccoman began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook reader
Reader froze-up. Very upset

Was reading merrily along and the Reader froze. Cannot turn page. Cannot turn it off. Will not respond to computer input. Will not charge. Screen slowly fading away.

Seems like Sony charges a premium for their name. But don't think the quality is there. Just had it 14 months. Love the concept.

Decision time - new Reader, Kindle or what?
ecccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Don't give up on it yet.

1. Try recharging overnight using a mains charger. This often helps a lot. (If yours is 14 months old then it is a PRS500 and should have come with a mains charger.)
2. If the problem remains then find a paperclip and try a reset.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
ecccoman, I've had that same problem with my 505 and it does seem to be related to the USB charger. I solved it by doing a reset but follow Patricia's advice first.

Meanwhile, I just ordered a mains charger
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecccoman View Post
Frankly, for the content and delivery method I would replace mine with a Kindle, even though the form factor isn't great.

The second option would be a Cybook, once again, Mobipocket content seems to be much easier to find and more affordable.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
ecccoman

I always charge from an AC outlet 120v or 240v

Never use USB charge. However will try the reset tonight. And an overnight charge
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A soft reset should be the first thing to try in such a situation. I'm pretty certain it'll sort it out for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm not keen on the Kindle. And since you already have a 500 (I'm guessing), a 505 would be the logical choice as you can redownload any eBooks purchased via Sony and any other LRF can be read easily. You can convert MS Reader, and Mobipocket formats to LRF very easily with tools easily available. It's a no brainer in this cause to go with a 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
ecccoman

Reset worked

Thanks for the tip. PRS-500 working again.

Although I think I tore-up some of the innards poking around with the paperclip. On-off switch is very loose now. Probably never take a reset again. Note to self................

Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. PRS-500 working again.

Although I think I tore-up some of the innards poking around with the paperclip. On-off switch is very loose now. Probably never take a reset again. Note to self................

Thanks
Er, are you sure you were putting the paperclip in the right hole?

The reset hole is on the BACK of the 500 - you have to remove the cover to see it. You weren't putting the paperclip in the hole above the power switch, which the "charging" light shines through, were you? That could produce some very undesirable effects, and certainly wouldn't do a "reset"! If you did do that, and the power switch is now loose, you've probably dislodged one end of the spring that tensions the power switch from its mount. You'll need to take off the side buffer to put it back again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
ecccoman

oops!

May be a 505 or something else in my future.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Don't worry, you're not the first to make that particular "oops."

If you're willing to take the side off, you can most likely re-attach the spring pretty easily. The screws that hold that side on are under the SD/Memory Stick slot cover. The only touchy thing is that you have to flex the edge piece a bit to get it to come out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote