Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
ever think of splitting calibre into 3 different apps

Hi,

Just a thought, but calibre itself has grown to the point that it really might help to split it into 3 separate apps:

1. ebook library manager for ereaders
2. ebook conversion tool
3. website, magazine, and news slurper to ebook

It would be more focused, easier to maintain, can be updated separately. Users could just get the apps they really want or need, etc.

I find I use the ebook conversion stuff the most, I virtually do not use the library functions as I have a Sony library to do what I want, nor do I typically use the website, magazine slurping feature.

Any thoughts on that direction?

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
What's wrong with having everything in one app, for the same price? Not to mention that Sony's SW is just a piece of #### (no offence)!
In my opinion, you don't need it, you don't use it!
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You can access calibre functionality from the CLI. Using the CLI interface makes calibre seem like dozens of smaller apps.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On the contrary splitting up calibre will make it *much* harder to maintain.

I would have to maintain N*3 build systems.

Pretty much the only reason to split it up is to save disk space, and since most of the space is needed by dependent libraries anyway you'd only save on the order of a few MB.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Just curious ... why would you have to maintain 3*N build systems? The apps could share source trees, bug reporting, and any overhead?

Simply segmenting the python code by app and sharing a central library should work from a build perspective for separate apps, wouldn't it?

The UI for the library could then be greatly streamlined which should improve performance, and the cli ebook-tools could become standalone, batch oriented, and pipe-able. You could then do conversion by simple drag and dropping into a "watched" conversion folder.

You could even assign developers based on the main functionality of the apps - you do something similar for the ebook input/output drivers anyway, right?

I guess I am just a big fan of the old unix philosophy of small focused programs that do one thing and do it really well.

Calibre does do things really well but much of its feature set may be overkill for many users.

As I said ... its just a thought.

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I like it the way it is because, for me, it is a one stop shop... kinda like Walmart
Everything I need is in one place and it does everything I need and more.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
bigreat
bigreat began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I like it the way it is because, for me, it is a one stop shop... kinda like Walmart
Everything I need is in one place and it does everything I need and more.
yo rcuadro,
are you riding a ducati too?
bigreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I think the tool for e-book conversion is already batch oriented, at least in window. Indeed, it's the way I use it. I include ebook-convert and ebook-meta in bat files with parameters so my conversions are automatic. Isn't it possible in LINUX/Mac? Or are you talking about distribution?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Just curious ... why would you have to maintain 3*N build systems? The apps could share source trees, bug reporting, and any overhead?
Packaging... plus he already is packaging for 3 platforms... so now he would need to 9 packaging builds.

Just install it all and use what you need. Works well.

Heck 80% of Word users use 20% (or less) of the features.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@KevinH; This may be of some interest to you

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ign-philosophy

All the advantages you speak of are already available due to the design of calibre. As for making the UI faster, spolitting up calibre would not acheive that. The UI doesn't load the conversion modules when it starts up, for example.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreat View Post
yo rcuadro,
are you riding a ducati too?
Actually yes... I have a 998s FE
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I don't think their is need for splitting calibre itself.
But I don't like having to download it all over again every few weeks. Would be better if
it was able to just update the plugins that have been updated instead of the whole thing.
But maybe that not possible as calibre supports so many different OS.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah unfortunately supporting differential updates in a cross platform app, especially one that uses so many programming languages and third party libraries is very hard.