Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
topcat07
topcat07 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Exclamation my foward button does not work ?!

Hi

If someone could help me would appreciate it, the ereader is brand new but i got it for £20 last one in shop so dont really want to take it back at that price

When i click library > books i have two arrows at the bottom of the page to view all the books one back one forward. The back back one works , the foward one does not register a click > It also doesn't seem to work in any menu even the welcome wizard ?

I have flashed the software twice after a reset does nothing ?

Here are the arrows i am talking about

[2,048 × 1,152 pixel image removed as a violation of our 600 x 600 pixel limitation.]

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-02-2014 at 04:10 PM.
topcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The Touch uses infra-red to scan for screen 'presses' with the emitters and receivers being behind the bevel that surrounds the screen. So try dusting the bevel since it may that some dust is preventing the 'press' from being registered.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Blowing canned air around the perimeter and making sure you get under the bezel works well. Or take a soft-bristled brush and gently brush all around the perimeter.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
topcat07

thank you both for your help , i cleaned it even though i couldnt see any dust.

I have found it works if i press it a lot 5-6 times maybe to register a click , unlike the back button which just works easily like a touch screen phone first time.

anything else i could try?

When i click that area of the screen to change a page during reading a book it works so it is not as though it is a dead area of the screen, could it be a bug ? this is 3.3.0 software ..

Or is it user error , any other ideas
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat07 View Post
When i click that area of the screen to change a page during reading a book it works so it is not as though it is a dead area of the screen, could it be a bug ? this is 3.3.0 software ..
Dirt blocking the IR sensors (or a faulty sensor) won't necessarily show as a dead zone, it can result in the touch registering but in the wrong place.

The tap zone for a page turn is quite large, so even if the tap registers in the wrong place it will probably still turn the page. A better test would be to use the search bar to bring up the keyboard, and see if you can hit the keys in the problem area.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
topcat07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Dirt blocking the IR sensors (or a faulty sensor) won't necessarily show as a dead zone, it can result in the touch registering but in the wrong place.

The tap zone for a page turn is quite large, so even if the tap registers in the wrong place it will probably still turn the page. A better test would be to use the search bar to bring up the keyboard, and see if you can hit the keys in the problem area.
Thanks for the informative info just tested all the keys on the keyboard they all seem to work, the mystery deepens
Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat07 View Post
Thanks for the informative info just tested all the keys on the keyboard they all seem to work, the mystery deepens
It does sound like a bug, you need someone else with a Touch to check if they have the same problem. I think only the Mini and Touch have the arrows for turning pages in the library, and the Mini didn't get firmware 3.3.0.

You should be able to swipe to turn pages in the library too, does a forward swipe still work?

Edit: I checked on a Mini with firmware 3.4.1 and both arrows work fine, so if it is a bug then manually upgrading to 3.4.1 might be the solution.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-03-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Checked on a 3.4.1 Mini
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
topcat07

works on girlfriends perfect so must be faulty sensor. The shop disconnected them so wont be getting any more . How is customer service with this stuff would they replace it ?