Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Gene45
Enthusiast
Gene45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Get books Problem?

I must be doing something wrong.
With the latest calibre, just up-dated , if I tell it to get books, for example Killing Kennedy. O'Reilly and Dugard, I expected it would search the available sources and give me a list of alternatives.

If I simply ask for the title, the right one flashes by quickly, and I get screens and screens of titles that have nothing to do with kennedy, like the Crucifixion of Christ, if I add the authors, I get more correct one flash by and then they are gone.

There must be a simple way to do this.

What am I missing.
Gene45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You're going to get a better response if you post your question in the calibre subforum.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Gene45
Enthusiast

Ok sorry.....
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I had the same problem yesterday too. I wanted to have a look at "The dragon scroll" from I J Parker and got answers with "dragon" in it but I got answers too that I just can't understand why they showed up... It's the first time I use this feature and I may make a mistake somewhere in using it... Any help would by appreciated (ordering the finds by alphabetic order allowed me to find the one I was looking for, but that's not handy)
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@Gene45 & @vice-versa: what bookstores are you using?

Amazon recently changed all their websites, with the result that searches match many more books than they used to. For example, the search "The dragon scroll" seems to match anything with the word "dragon" or the word "scroll" in the title or the description. It isn't clear what we can do about that.

Note that if you search for title:"dragon scroll", then you will see only books that have "dragon scroll" in the title.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
All the bookstores were ticked, I didn't change anything. Next time I'll try wih " " Thanks you for your help
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Gene45
Enthusiast

Ok I tried again to find "Killing Lincoln" by O'Reilly and Dugard,

I searched for "killing lincoln" and got 145 hits, including:

The Crucifixion of Christ,
How to Make Wild Passionate Love,
Dry Adultery, Wet Ambition
Ultimate Dating Guide or Women

plus others.

I did not have all the stores checked, only the dozen or so I thought might be useful, Amazon Kobo Google diesel, etc

The correct Killing Lincoln is there, from various sources. For example from Amazon Kindle it lists the price at $12.99, and if I click on that one it takes me to Amazon where the "new" price is $17.56 for the kindle edition.

I did find it at Barnes and Noble for the 12.99 price but they won't sell to Canadians for whatever reason.

I use Calibre as a reader, but can't use it as a shopper.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can do a limited search by matching specific areas such as title or author only by using the advanced search builder that is part of the dialog. Simply click the binoculars button next to the search entry. This will open an advanced search editor. The second tab allows you to search specifically title or author only.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Gene45
Enthusiast

So I tried the "advanced search" for the exact phrase "killing lincoln", it comes back to the regular search page with "killing lincoln" filled in with quotes.

I still get 34 hits. The correct book is in the list but so are many others that have no relationship to the words searched.

Tried "author/title/price" for "Killing Lincoln, O'Reilly and Dugard" and get no hits, none.

Tried "author/title/price" for "Killing Lincoln, O'Reilly" and get four hits all correct.

O'Reilly,Dugard gets no hits.

So it works if I do it right.......

Last edited by Gene45; 11-18-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
GetBook has been enhanced to make it easier to search for title and author specifically. The next release should have the changes.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote