Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you change or sell your current iPad to get the iPad3?
Yes 52 37.68%
No 60 43.48%
Maybe, need to see it in action. 26 18.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sorry, but the weight's a deal-breaker for me. That is, it would be, if the price weren't already. Does look to be a fantastic product, though.

I was hoping for a slightly smaller iPad to be announced. Maybe not as small as the 7" Kindle Fire, but somewhere in-between. One that would have been "just right."
Actually, there is a smaller iPad. It's called the iPhone 4S.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #62
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
And I'm getting one of those, just as soon as I win the lottery. Until then, I'll stick with my $10 phone with the $20/month pay-as-you-go plan.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #63
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I do not own an iPhone. So, a honest question here: can you tell the difference when reading?
I can. And that made me read entire ebooks in a smartphone for the very first time. In any other smartphone, my eyes would be hurt or tired.

iPad 2 disapointed me. It just wasn't worth buying, since I already had the first generation iPad.

Now the retina display in iPad 3 is tempting me, although I really shouldn't buy one, for now.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #64
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
I voted no because my iPad 1 does all I need it to do. As long as it continues to work well, I see no need to upgrade. I get so much use out of it, though, that there will definitely continue to be an iPad in my life. I do most of my reading on it, so when my Nook Color and Nook Simple Touch start having problems, I'll think twice about replacing them.
I have a 32 gig wifi iPad 1.

If I could make an even swap of my 1 for a 3, of course I would. Heck, if i could trade my 1 plus $100 for a 3, I would.

Short of that, though, I'm in the same boat as you are. My 1 is perfectly adequate for my needs, so as long as the battery holds out, all the 3 seems to offer to me is a bit more speed and a better screen.

I would buy a 7 inch iPad mini in a minute, though. I'm hoping Apple is going to show Amazon how to do that form factor right. Actually, with the superiority of the Apple screen, I'll bet they could get away with a slightly smaller screen, and push the overall size down to that of the Sony T1. That would truly be a PocketPad.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also have a 32 gig wifi iPad 1. There are some things you can't do on it. For example, some of the photo editing apps require a later model. And, like you, I would like a smaller screen option, although 7" is too small for a tablet, IMO. I find the Fire that I bought for my grandson is a bit small for typing. It's a good size for a reader, but not a tablet. Maybe something in the neighborhood of 8.5 or 9 inches would be nice. The graphics resolution on my iPad 1 is great. I might appreciate the 3's higher resolution if I traded in my 61 year old eyes for new ones, but otherwise I think the resolution on the Original Flavor is fine. And I'd still like to see something lighter.
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #66
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Nope. My iPad {First generation} is still going strong and works for everything I need it for. Perhaps when the fourth generation comes out I might think about it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #67
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I also have a 32 gig wifi iPad 1. There are some things you can't do on it. For example, some of the photo editing apps require a later model. And, like you, I would like a smaller screen option, although 7" is too small for a tablet, IMO. I find the Fire that I bought for my grandson is a bit small for typing. It's a good size for a reader, but not a tablet. Maybe something in the neighborhood of 8.5 or 9 inches would be nice. The graphics resolution on my iPad 1 is great. I might appreciate the 3's higher resolution if I traded in my 61 year old eyes for new ones, but otherwise I think the resolution on the Original Flavor is fine. And I'd still like to see something lighter.
I'm looking for the 7 incher as a truly portable reading/surfing machine. Not much typing required.

Your point about aging eyes is counterintuitive but correct, I think.

UPDATE: turns out that the new ipad screen is very nice for these old eyes.

Last edited by Harmon; 03-18-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #68
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Nope. My iPad {First generation} is still going strong and works for everything I need it for. Perhaps when the fourth generation comes out I might think about it.
I rather expect that the next iOS iteration will not work on the original iPad...
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #69
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Actually, the thought of upgrading is a moot point for me. The iPad 1 is the only iPad that doesn't come equipped with cameras. Where I work, cameras and devices with cameras are forbidden.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #70
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Actually, the thought of upgrading is a moot point for me. The iPad 1 is the only iPad that doesn't come equipped with cameras. Where I work, cameras and devices with cameras are forbidden.
Interesting.

Can I tell you the true? If I've used the iPad 2 camera two times, that's too much.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #71
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Wouldn't you say the asme thing then? I don't understand why you would skip this gen. Your iPad 1 could very well still be working then. Doesn't mean there isn't a reason to upgrade. The speed boost alone is worth the upgrade. Anyway...to each his own.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #72
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Interesting.

Can I tell you the true? If I've used the iPad 2 camera two times, that's too much.
Lol. Same here. They could leave them out for all I care. Just all the cry babies wanted them. Plus we would never hear the end of it from android pundits.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #73
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I rather expect that the next iOS iteration will not work on the original iPad...
I bet it'll work for at least one more software generation. Past that who knows. I think they actually do put out different versions for the different hardware. We just don't really see it in the foreground. We'll see though.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #74
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Why should it not?

For a customer-driven company like Apple alienating existing users is most likely more a problem than having to force some iPad-1-users to upgrade. (especially as this would not work. Those who don't want to upgrade would simply not upgrade to the new operating system and complain about being excluded)

Best regards,
Andy

PS: I still use an iPad 1 myself and find very litte difference to using an iPad 2 (have some of these in the family), apart from very few games that simply don't run well on the iPad 1 (but I don't know whether they run any better on the iPad 2).
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #75
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Why should it not?

For a customer-driven company like Apple alienating existing users is most likely more a problem than having to force some iPad-1-users to upgrade. (especially as this would not work. Those who don't want to upgrade would simply not upgrade to the new operating system and complain about being excluded)
Because Apple has already done so in the past for other product lines? Besides, newer iOS versions tend to require better hardware. There are several folks using older iPhone/iPod Touch models that wish they hadn't upgraded to newer firmware because it's made their devices extra sluggish. I reckon Apple would prefer users not to be able to upgrade rather than have them complain about performance issues with newer firmware.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad3