Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #136
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile
mehetabelo began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 1-3, Kobo AuraHD, Boox Afterglow2
I had guessed that calibre stripped invalid characters, but I figured I would make a not of it in the post. I had also assumed that the in the case of ids, multiples were not valid.
However, the initial point remains that posting double ids strips both from the id tag, even if there was previously an id before editing and adding (or trying to add) a second.

My next question, which I may not have specific enough in the last post, what ids are available in this window? and what is the separator? a space, a bar, something else?

Another note is that, should someone try and add an incorrect ID the whole field is stripped and left blank, this has to be a bug, and if it is not, this needs to be fixed somehow.
mehetabelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #137
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I cannot reproduce multiple ids causing both to disappear or invalid ids (there is no such thing as an invalid id) causing the field to blank. You will have to describe what you're doing in more detail.

As to what ids you can enter hold you mouse over it and read the tooltip or reread my post below, where I answered that question.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #138
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

I discovered what I was doing wrong, and I think I know how you can recreate it. If you add a second ID and do not use a comma to separate the id's, it will blank the entire field. I had not seen the comma to separate the ids, and that seems to be what was causing the problem.

After looking into it, it seems that when a space is placed, it clears out the entire id which is not separated by a comma. So, if you input
isbn:123456789, amazon:1234567 boi:12345678 then the second field will not stay. If there is no comma when you enter a second id, then the entire field clears.

While I don't know if this is designed that way or not, it will likely cause questions in the future for people manually adding ids.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #139
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll change it so that
Code:
abc:one xyz:two results in abc:one xyz
instead of nothing. That way it should be easier to figure out what you're doing wrong.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #140
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

lol. Now that I figured it out, I wont do it again likely, but I'm sure in the future others will have had the same difficulty. The change will probably make it a little more obvious about what's going wrong.

By the way, I'm sure you get it a lot, but I may as well say it, I do love the program and appreciate all the time and effort you (and others) have put into this program. It's gone through some serious changes since I first began to use it and, while a little slow with my larger database (over 30k books) it's still usable.
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #141
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Preferences - Metadata download problem

I start with Metadata Download set to just tags as my global setting (see #1 attached). This works great. Now I choose to also check Series, I open up preferences - metadata download and check series (see #2 attached) I then click apply. Unfortunately instead of now having only series and tags checked when I reopen preferences - metadata download I now have all categories checked (see #3 attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences - Metadata download - tags only -start.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	70556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences - Metadata download - tags only -add series.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	70557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences - Metadata download - tags only -add series results in all checked.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	70558  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #142
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I start with Metadata Download set to just tags as my global setting (see #1 attached). This works great. Now I choose to also check Series, I open up preferences - metadata download and check series (see #2 attached) I then click apply. Unfortunately instead of now having only series and tags checked when I reopen preferences - metadata download I now have all categories checked (see #3 attached).
Hmm, I was obviously asleep at the wheel on this one. Fixed. Just to note that the same bug applies to changing the fields for individual sources.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-27-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #143
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Having some trouble canceling a background job downloading covers.

calibre, version 0.7.57
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'float' object is not callable

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\jobs.py", line 460, in kill_job
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\jobs.py", line 248, in kill_job
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\jobs.py", line 233, in _kill_job
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 228, in kill_job
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 115, in kill
TypeError: 'float' object is not callable

Last edited by capnm; 04-28-2011 at 12:13 AM.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #144
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Fixed.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #145
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Nested searches -- not sure if this is worth bothering about, but:

If I search on rating=4 or rating=5
and make that a restriction with the *Current search button (thanks!)
and then search on author=Tom Clancy

The results I get are equal to:

rating=4 or (rating=5 and author=Tom Clancy)

instead of what I would expect:

(rating=4 or rating=5) and author=Tom Clancy
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #146
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
Nested searches -- not sure if this is worth bothering about, but:

If I search on rating=4 or rating=5
and make that a restriction with the *Current search button (thanks!)
and then search on author=Tom Clancy

The results I get are equal to:

rating=4 or (rating=5 and author=Tom Clancy)

instead of what I would expect:

(rating=4 or rating=5) and author=Tom Clancy
Fix submitted.

FWIW: the expression needs to be parenthesized as '(restriction) and (search)'. Because in the past the only search that could appear as a restriction was a single expression saved search, the restriction was not parenthesized.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #147
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
[QUOTE][/QUOTESeries info is often not available. But you can improve the odds by installing the goodreads metadata download plugin (use the version compatible with calibre 0.8).
]
That works, thanks
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #148
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Downloading metadata (bulk download?) seems to freeze up my computer when I write metadata to disk. Clibre eventually comes up with the windows close program message.
Also while I like the background feature, if I click on anything else while the background feature is operating, Calibre freezes and eventually crashes.

Also have had frequent crashes lately (not with beta) when converting more than 10 books.
And have run out of memory during conversions?
Only thing I am doing differently is using calibres ebook viewer on occasion.
Running Windows 7 64 bit premium on I7 840 with 12 meg ram installed, 750 meg free disk space on boot drive and fresh boot with no device attached. No known problems with other software.

Not a complaint as I can run older versions of calibre just fine on old ugly laptop, I just prefer to use the newest if possible.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #149
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is a bug that can cause random crashes in the bulk download metadata code, as I noted before. That will be fixed in the next release.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #150
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
There is a bug that can cause random crashes in the bulk download metadata code, as I noted before. That will be fixed in the next release
Sorry missed that, same bug in bulk convert?
In 7.57 I could do 100 books without crash and with beta maybe 10. On old ugly laptop with 7.1 can do 1000+ but it takes a while

Last edited by speakingtohe; 04-28-2011 at 05:09 PM.