Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
cow_trix
cow_trix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Word Processing on the Kindle 3

Is there any way to word process on the Kindle 3? I've been looking around but I can't find anything. If there isn't - why the hell not? It would seriously like quadruple the amount I use it.
cow_trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow_trix View Post
Is there any way to word process on the Kindle 3? I've been looking around but I can't find anything. If there isn't - why the hell not? It would seriously like quadruple the amount I use it.
And I expect if your food processor also functioned as a sewing machine, you'd use it more too, but most reasonable people don't expect gadgets to do things they were never designed or intended to do.

The Kindle is an ebook reader. Not a word processor. To paraphrase your own words - why the hell would you expect it to function as a word processor?
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
why the hell not?
Because it's an ebook reader, not a computer.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Someday there will be reflective light displays that have the refresh rate necessary for word processing, but we're not there yet. And then you'll also need for the device to offer USB host mode or Bluetooth so you can hook up a keyboard.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
As someone that has used microsoft word, open office (when the #%^@ is 3.3 coming out? RC8! are you kidding me!), word perfect and even the ancient electric pencil I don't think kindle could realistically be used for word processing. Maybe another five years down the line.

You would need a touch screen or a mouse to really move the cursor around..otherwise functions would be slower.

Then again if they can take cd roms and have them work in conjunction with an Atari 2600..

there's a difference between possible and probable.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you want to do word processing I would suggest a netbook or tablet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
The most usable solution for text seems to be the website www.simpletext.ws. It works with the Kindle browser. However, it is just plain text editing.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There is not a dedicated WP for the Kindle however you can find a website that does allow text entry.

However the real issue isn't finding a text editor, it's the Kindle's refresh rate; the screen refresh rate is so slow that it really slows down your typing. Also when they refresh the screen it refreshes the whole screen not just the area your modifying.

The SONY does have note taking capabilities, they might have a better video controller. (I'm guessing here)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle allows the addition of notes, too, but has no in-place editor, such that the edited text shows up inline.

Sounds like you need an iPad or something.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Greenhat
Enthusiast
Greenhat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
This a big flaw in Kindle devices. Word processing is more important to me than listing to mp3 music.
I liked your legitimate question.
Greenhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you want word processing buy a netbook or a tablet. Those are multi purpose devices. The Kindle is an e-reader with a few extras that don't work that well.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're supposed to read books on the Kindle - not write them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
It takes me forever to just write a note on my Kindle, can't even imagine trying to write anything more extensive.

I do appreciate the ability to occasionally go online, but wouldn't want it to be my only such device.

As others have said, perhaps you could try a tablet computer.
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Greenhat
Enthusiast
Greenhat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There is not a dedicated WP for the Kindle however you can find a website that does allow text entry.

However the real issue isn't finding a text editor, it's the Kindle's refresh rate; the screen refresh rate is so slow that it really slows down your typing. Also when they refresh the screen it refreshes the whole screen not just the area your modifying.
I forgot this screen refreshing issue ! any E ink reader would not be good for typewriting.
Greenhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I think the latest version of the iPod can hook up to a bluetooth keyboard, and I think there are bluetooth keyboards that fold up for transport. The iPod can certainly also display e-books of various flavors, so I wonder if some combination like that might more closely approach your reading / writing needs than a Kindle?

Which, despite its many fine (in my opinion) qualities does not, alas, allow word processing. I love its ability to annotate and search, but I must admit its keyboard does not strike me as suitable to enter large amounts of text.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote