Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #21271
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I don't get the chance to eat sushi when I'm home, there just isn't a viable spot on the Coast. So I usually try to go at least once when I'm down in Washington for work. But I definitely overdid it last night. Been eating very little all day to recover a bit. Then one last pass at Tuna House tomorrow before I go.

Meanwhile, I did a quick swing by the only Peet's in this home of Starbucks to see if I might get lucky and score another 1/4 Lb. tin of Anniversary Breakfast Blend. They're completely out online. And yes, I got the last one they had.

Brewing up a pot now, even though it's evening.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #21272
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Woohoo for getting the last tin. My hubby is a sushi fan. I like it that he and my Dad can go out and get sushi and bond.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #21273
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sushi is on the list of foods I have no interest in trying, ever.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #21274
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I can eat sushi until it comes out my ears! Actually, I prefer sashimi to sushi, and at least one dinner a week will be sashimi in our house.

VydorScope, do you like sliced roast duck? How about scrambled eggs? Boiled shrimp? Crab legs? How about tuna salad or sliced hard boiled egg? Roast beef? Cucumber? These are ALL found in every good sushi shop! You don't have to eat raw fish to enjoy sushi. In fact, 'sushi' is the style of rice prep, not what goes on top!

Before I moved to Asia, the strangest food I ever ate was a Kiwi fruit... There was NO WAY I was going to put raw fish into my mouth. Or seaweed! Heck, even in the States the only time I'd eat fish was if I caught a trout and cooked it stream-side. I'd only eat "Mrs.Paul's Fish Fingers" completely smothered in Tartar Sauce. Even today, I do NOT like the tastes of cooked fish, and the smell almost makes me ill.

But fresh raw fish doesn't smell like fish. It doesn't taste like fish. Unless one were told what it was you were eating, you wouldn't even KNOW it was fish. Maguro (tuna) is clean-tasting and smooth, ika (squid) is even cleaner tasting and chewy. Clean and fresh... not the least bit fishy fishy fishy! Cooked shrimp... well... you know how good that tastes! While there are a few raw fish that to my nose really stink, most have no fishy fishy smell or taste to them. I pass those by and only eat the ones I love; tai (yellowtail) hamachi (sea bream) maguro, ika, ebi (shrimp) and of course, akagai (clams) and hotategai (scallops)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #21275
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"

I love sashimi, yakatori, sushi of all varieties (particularly tuna), and my favourite meal treat (often do this on my Birthday) is a visit to a Japanese restaurant, which are few and far between where I live. The nearest is in Birmingham, and the last one I visited was a Yo! Sushi in Glasgow, where I ate alone, but kept texting my wife back home about the dishes I was having. Sad, or what? . I loved it.

Milkshake in my cup.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #21276
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up
blackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kobo Touch
Coffee.

Always coffee.

Always Black coffee with no sugar.
blackpuddingmunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #21277
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was allergic to fish and shellfish as a child. It wasn't until I was 38 that I got myself tested and found I was no longer allergic. I still don't eat a lot of fish. The smell is still off putting. I do enjoy shellfish on occasion. I do not like raw fish. It is a texture thing. I have enjoyed some rolls. Just not my thing.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #21278
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The correct thing to do with a fish is to fry it.

Coke Zero #2 in my cup.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #21279
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
[QUOTE=Stitchawl;2231828 You don't have to eat raw fish to enjoy sushi. In fact, 'sushi' is the style of rice prep, not what goes on top!
Stitchawl[/QUOTE]

1) I am not a big seafood eater... just dont like that "fish" taste.

2) When people here say "sushi" they mean raw fish, regardless of what it could mean to you, or even the rest of the world. I have handled raw fish (and live fish) and know what it smells like. Smells even less appealing then cooked fish.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #21280
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A tall, narrow glass of club soda with a twist of lime, over lots of ice!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #21281
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I can eat sushi until it comes out my ears! Actually, I prefer sashimi to sushi, and at least one dinner a week will be sashimi in our house.

VydorScope, do you like sliced roast duck? How about scrambled eggs? Boiled shrimp? Crab legs? How about tuna salad or sliced hard boiled egg? Roast beef? Cucumber? These are ALL found in every good sushi shop! You don't have to eat raw fish to enjoy sushi. In fact, 'sushi' is the style of rice prep, not what goes on top!

Before I moved to Asia, the strangest food I ever ate was a Kiwi fruit... There was NO WAY I was going to put raw fish into my mouth. Or seaweed! Heck, even in the States the only time I'd eat fish was if I caught a trout and cooked it stream-side. I'd only eat "Mrs.Paul's Fish Fingers" completely smothered in Tartar Sauce. Even today, I do NOT like the tastes of cooked fish, and the smell almost makes me ill.

But fresh raw fish doesn't smell like fish. It doesn't taste like fish. Unless one were told what it was you were eating, you wouldn't even KNOW it was fish. Maguro (tuna) is clean-tasting and smooth, ika (squid) is even cleaner tasting and chewy. Clean and fresh... not the least bit fishy fishy fishy! Cooked shrimp... well... you know how good that tastes! While there are a few raw fish that to my nose really stink, most have no fishy fishy smell or taste to them. I pass those by and only eat the ones I love; tai (yellowtail) hamachi (sea bream) maguro, ika, ebi (shrimp) and of course, akagai (clams) and hotategai (scallops)

Stitchawl
I couldn't agree more. The first dish he gave me was salmon sashimi, just barely touched on one side with the torch, and a light sauce I would kill to replicate (some soy, some mirin I think, scallions. An absolutely perfect balance.) Next up, hamachi cheek. And it kept on going from there.

I think of sushi as Japanese Tapas. Each dish is a little dish, designed to tempt and please. And the fun is in mixing and trying completely different, but complementary, dishes over the course of your meal. Some are cooked, some are not. But "fishy" isn't in it. Though I admit, one of my favourite nigiri (what most people think of when they think of sushi that isn't rolls) is saba (mackerel). Good saba is clean, and tastes of the ocean it swam in.

@VydorScope: sushi fish should have no fishy smell. Truly, if you walk into a sushi restaurant and can smell fish, turn around and walk out. You're in the wrong place!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #21282
CRussel
(he/him/his)

A large mug of that Peet's Anniversary Breakfast Blend I scored yesterday.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #21283
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And another steeping of Anniversary Breakfast Blend. By mid-November, I'm going to need to find a replacement for this!

I was chatting with the barrista at Peet's yesterday. She was saying how much she liked last year's Anniversary Breakfast Blend, but doesn't really like this year's. The exact opposite of my reaction. This year's is heavily influenced by good 2nd flush Darjeelings that form the base of the blend. Last year's was heavy on the Assam, and really didn't work for me. I think if you really liked one, you definitely won't like the other.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #21284
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Is this a seasonal beverage?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #21285
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpuddingmunc
Coffee.
I agree.

Quote:
Always coffee.
I agree.

Quote:
Always black coffee with no sugar.
Spoiler:
I couldn't agree less.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?