Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Robbie447
Rocket Robin
Robbie447 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Question Aluratek Firmware Update

Hi all.. I recently (Christmas) got an Aluratek Libre Pro as my first eReader. Honestly I got it for price but after doing some comparisons I'm just as happy I got it instead of other makes. I was reading in this area the helpful info on updating firmware -thankyou everyone who contributed to that- and I went to check at the Aluratek site for firmware details. Unfortunately if I were to criticize anything to do with Aluratek it would be marginal help and information available at their site and in their manuals. They cover the major things but not the fine details. Anyways, one thng I haven't been able to find is any information on what each firmware upgrade fixes. Downloading the file to check if it has that info is a major annoyance for me because I'm on dial-up and those files are a good size.. (32 meg?) My eReader came with version 1.9 and I saw that version 2.x is out and I wondered if the update does anything so much better to be worth getting or should I stick with my usual philosophy of, "If it works don't fix it"... Has anyone done this update and found new and wonderous things going on in their eReader ?
Robbie447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
There's a thread here discussing the advantages of updating to version 20g. (Note however that I think the latest version is now 20i, and I haven't upgraded to that and have no experience with it, but I did to 20g) -- and there were two advantages for me in doing that 1. yet another way to turn pages with epubs (the L & R arrow keys around the go button), and 2. now able to highlight and activate navigation links within texts in epubs (like table of contents links, etc, (Down arrow key). The upgrade to 20g was uneventful and smooth for me, but I had the same worry you did, if it works, don't fix it.

P.S. I just found another thread specifically about upgrading to 20i which you should probably also take a look out. Seems at least one person wasn't happy with the latest 20i and went back to 20g. So for myself, I figure I'll just stick with my upgrade from 1.x to 20g. I have no idea how you can find the older 20g version, but maybe if you do a search of this ALP forum you can find some more info.

Last edited by k9reeder; 02-09-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: addition
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is an Ectaco jetBook forum here, the discussion of the Aluratek Libre Pro is included there as they both share the same hardware. There is a sticky thread for
firmware updating of the Libre, as well as for the jetBooks.

It got demoted to the "Other readers" section, not so long ago.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
Robbie447
Rocket Robin

Quote:
the latest version is now 20i, and I haven't upgraded to that and have no experience with it, but I did to 20g) -- and there were two advantages for me in doing that 1. yet another way to turn pages with epubs (the L & R arrow keys around the go button), and 2. now able to highlight and activate navigation links within texts in epubs (like table of contents links, etc, (Down arrow key). The upgrade to 20g was uneventful and smooth for me, but I had the same worry you did, if it works, don't fix it.

Seems at least one person wasn't happy with the latest 20i and went back to 20g..
Thanks for the information. I had tripped over the details about the 20i release being unimportant for most people but it gave few other details. As for the changes you mentioned after your update... When you download an update do you get any sort of History of changes with it or at least what that particular update fixed or added?

Re: the two main changes you mentioned.. I haven't got mine in front of me at the moment but I *believe* mine will change pages with the arrow keys already but mine, being quite new, may have come with a newer OS version (19.x) that you were updating from. I'll have to test that later.

Your second change mentioned being able to highlight and activate navigation links within texts in epubs (like table of contents links, etc, (Down arrow key).. Do you mean you could choose 'Chapter 4' if listed at the start of an ePub and it would jump you right there ?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie447 View Post
update... When you download an update do you get any sort of History of changes with it or at least what that particular update fixed or added?
As I recall, they didn't provide that useful info, no idea why the heck not. One thing I do recall was that when I updated to 20g it set the default language to German or something. But I was forewarned about that, I think someone had set out in that thread I mentioned the simple steps (if your German is rusty) to set the reader menus back to English. As Ken mentioned, there's a lot of info about the ALP reader in this Forum, the Ectaco jetbook we're in now. Just go to the main page for this forum and use the search menu located in the blue color strip where it says "Search This Forum". Perhaps include the terms ALP or libre etc in whatever search you're doing to help narrow things down.

Quote:
Re: the two main changes you mentioned.. I haven't got mine in front of me at the moment but I *believe* mine will change pages with the arrow keys already
Could be, I'm sorry I can't remember what version of 1.x I upgraded from. I believe with epubs I only had two ways, the slider and the page turn buttons on the bottom left. But with the upgrade, the arrow keys also worked, which is good if you swap hands and like to use the thumb for page turns. Also works w/ mobi, prc and txt as best I can tell.

Quote:
Do you mean you could choose 'Chapter 4' if listed at the start of an ePub and it would jump you right there ?
Correct. This also seems to work w/ some pdf files, not sure about the other formats.

Last edited by k9reeder; 02-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Robbie447
Rocket Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
As I recall, they didn't provide that useful info, no idea why the heck not. One thing I do recall was that when I updated to 20g it set the default language to German or something..
Do you still have a copy of 20g there ? Possibly if you were agreeable and have high speed I could maybe talk you into uploading it to an online storage account I have so I'd have a copy of that version I could grab later when I can 'borrow' some high speed access to download it... (?)
Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
k9reeder
Groupie

I'll take a look, but not likely -- I'll send you a (PM) private message soon.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
Robbie447
Rocket Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I'll take a look, but not likely -- I'll send you a (PM) private message soon.
Thanks for checking..
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Just for info:
Newegg has them in stock for $50!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluratek firmware update