Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Zora
Enthusiast
Zora began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Nexus tablet
Opening Dropbox books on Nexus 7

I have all my ebooks stored in my Dropbox folder. They're all public domain or de-DRMed. It is easy to transfer them to the old iPod that used to be my main reading device. I open up the Dropbox app on the iPod, select a book, the app tells me it is unable to read the file, I hit a button that sends it to the Kindle app on my iPod, and there it is.

I installed Dropbox on the 1st gen Nexus 7 my daughter gave me. I can open up my folders, but I cannot open up any books. There seems to be no way to send them to the Kindle app also installed on the Nexus.

What is the trick here? How do I sideload, evading the Google bookstore?

I hope I don't have to convert to epub; that's a lot of work for several thousand books.

In the meantime I'm reading books from Scribd, but sometimes I want one of MY books.
Zora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
IIRC, Amazon did something rather stupid --they wrote the Android app to NOT tell the OS that it can handles the MOBI/AZW3 filetypes.

Not much can fix that.

You can always convert them all to EPUB, which is very easy to do if you leave the conversion running overnight. There is no work involved, just time.

Or, Moon+ reader can open MOBI books too.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-24-2014 at 12:37 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you long press on a book in the Dropbox app and select export a menu should pop up. One of the options should be Save to SD Card so you can save them in the Kindle folder on the device (I'm assuming they're in Mobi/AZW or AZW3 format).

There is also an option in the export menu called Send to Kindle. This will open a dialog where you can pick a device/app registered to your account and send it via Whispersync and optionally save it to your Kindle cloud as well (this only works with Mobi's, not KF8/AZW3's).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-24-2014 at 12:46 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
Zora
Enthusiast

I cannot convert all my mobi files to epub and store them in Dropbox because I'm close to bumping up against 2 GB. Beyond that, I have to make a monthly Dropbox payment.

Perhaps I shall install the Moon reader. That sounds less complicated than Anemic's recipe
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Another option would be to install the Dropsync app and then have that app sync your Dropbox account with the Kindle folder on your nexus 7. The free version of this app will let you name which single folder to sync between Dropbox and your device.

I haven't tested it, but I was under the impression that any Mobi ebook in the Kindle folder will show up in the app.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I haven't tested it, but I was under the impression that any Mobi ebook in the Kindle folder will show up in the app.
Yes, it does. As you say, it's just a matter of copying the files to the correct folder.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-24-2014 at 09:31 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zora View Post
I cannot convert all my mobi files to epub and store them in Dropbox because I'm close to bumping up against 2 GB. Beyond that, I have to make a monthly Dropbox payment.

Perhaps I shall install the Moon reader. That sounds less complicated than Anemic's recipe
You don't have any referrals? Also I borrrowed a friend's iPhone to get the 1GB MailboxApp bonus.

I believe chaley found a workaround for the Kindle app so Calibre Companion works right... but no Dropbox sync. Possibly setting up a calibre server broadcasting out to the internet... I favor that approach (because no need to sync Dropbox, unlimited storage -- your whole hdd -- and calibre-powered plugboards) but it's probably just me enjoying a challenge.

Moon does sound like the simplest solution.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
+1 for Dropsync.
If you just want to sync mobi file (i.e just using one folder in your android), you can use the free version of the app. If you want to sync epub and mobi (to open in Moon+ and Kindle), you can purchase the pro key and set it to sync multiple folders.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 AM   #9
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
I had a similar problem. I wanted to open .mobi books from Calibre Companion in Kindle, and the Kindle app didn't come up in the options. I found a free app called "Book Loader for Kindle" on Google Play that seems to do the trick. If I select that from the options I'm given in Calibre Companion it copies the book to my Kindle folder and it shows up in my Kindle list. It should work for books opened in Dropbox too, hopefully.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiresilver View Post
I had a similar problem. I wanted to open .mobi books from Calibre Companion in Kindle, and the Kindle app didn't come up in the options.
I can only assume you didn't have Calibre Companion configured correctly. If you configure CC to store mobi, azw3 etc in the correct designated kindle folder (Settings - Formats and Folders - pick mobi from list and set directory) then Kindle for Android will be offered when you try to read mobi, azw3 etc from within CC.

On my Samsung Galaxy TabPRO the designated kindle folder is /storage/emulated/0/kindle/ It's possible /sdcard/kindle/ would also work. It's possible the correct folder path depends which android device you're using.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:03 AM   #11
Zora
Enthusiast

I installed Moon+ and it seems to be working OK. I have only loaded one book so far. I vaguely recall having to jump through a couple of extra hoops, more than I do with my iPod, but I got it to work

I like the Moon+ reader on my tablet more than I like reading on my iPod. Bigger screen, and Moon+ has night mode: white type on a black background. My aging eyes like that better than black on white.

I haven't been able to afford a rubber case for the tablet yet, so I'm not taking it out of the house. Old iPod still useful as my purse reader. It's lighter as well.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Moon+ Reader works well with Dropbox. I have my entire Calibre Library synched to Dropbox and can pull any book down via Moon+ Reader. I also have the sync between devices set up, so that it will automatically move to the most current page when going between my phone and tablet. Once in a while the sync doesn't work, though. I'm not sure why.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropbox, mobi, nexus 7