Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #16
ReD
Enthusiast
ReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-700, PRS-300, PRS-T1, Kobo Arc
I too primarily hold books at the bottom left so the transition to my Sony PRS 700 was super easy since there are page turn buttons right by the spot where your left thumb rests. It's also simple enough to move your hand up a little bit and use your thumb to swipe the touchscreen. The newer 600 model looks like it would work similarly. IMO the touchscreen makes page turning a non-issue since you can hold the reader in almost any position and still be able to turn pages with very little effort.
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #17
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
There are purists here who will hate me for this ...

A couple of posts back, I asked if anyone had tried sticking little studs onto the convex page turning buttoms on a PRS-505 (both on the wheel at bottom left and on the side mounted buttons on the right) to make page turning even easier. Being a mechanical genius, I used my great big brain and experimented with tiny bits of chewing gum (you've got to chew it until it's no longer very sticky [that's a mechanic's trick of the trade, so don't tell just anybody]). Disgusting, eh? A disgrace and an insult to a noble reading device... but darn me if it doesn't work a treat. I'll now try something more permanent and report back.

Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I fold back the cover of my 505 and hold it in my right hand and my thumb is used for page turns.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I fold back the cover of my 505 and hold it in my right hand and my thumb is used for page turns.
I do the same with my 505, putting my index finger inside the folded back cover. The reader is then held securely and comfortably in the hand by the pressure of the thumb & other fingers trapping the index finger.

I also find I can hold the reader in my left hand with my thumb positioned over the LH page turn button, again very secure & comfortable.

For me Sony got the button positions on the 505 exactly right.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #20
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Very dependant on your particular hand shape, finger proportions - and don't forget the weight issues on hand and arm strength.

the 505 is one of the heavier ereaders around (robust though) and I probably wouldn't want to hold it in the air for an hour - but then I don't read like that. I usually rest it on something and just tap the RHS page turn button as required.

The lefthand spine hold does put the thumb in the correct position for page turns. but somehow doesn't feel natural to me.

Strongly suggest seeing devices in the flesh and playing with them!
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
I wish I could, but being in Canada my choice of devices in store is rather limited. Mainly to Sony readers, which I don't mind, just that it doesn't really give me much variety.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #22
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I usually hold my sony reader prs-600 in my left hand and it is easy for me to press the page turn buttons as they are located just where my left thumb rests - that way I can read one-handed. So sounds like this reader would be a good bet for you on this basis anyhow.

Sometimes I switch to right-handed reading (if I'm on the phone which I hold to my left ear) and very easy to swipe the pages using my right thumb.

The page turns work pretty well I think but I still think I'd prefer a scroll wheel like you get in the middle of a mouse if this could be successfully implemented into the hardware.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
Very dependant on your particular hand shape, finger proportions - and don't forget the weight issues on hand and arm strength.

the 505 is one of the heavier ereaders around (robust though) and I probably wouldn't want to hold it in the air for an hour - but then I don't read like that. I usually rest it on something and just tap the RHS page turn button as required.

The lefthand spine hold does put the thumb in the correct position for page turns. but somehow doesn't feel natural to me.

I find I don't notice the weight of the 505 when I am reading. Holding it in one hand is very easy. I did recently get to hold a Bookeen Gen3 and it is very light. It felt too light. Like a cheap toy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
dadan
dadan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use one hand normally and just change hands at will.
at first i used right hand

Old 11-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #25
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
A couple of posts back, I asked if anyone had tried sticking little studs onto the convex page turning buttoms on a PRS-505 (both on the wheel at bottom left and on the side mounted buttons on the right)
Yes, I put a piece from a package of clear vinyl "Self Adhesive Gripping Pads" (I would have called these "bump protectors") on the right concave button, which I always felt was too hard to press easily, making it feel like yet another thing putting unnecessary pressure on the thumb. I say "a piece" because it only needs a little, so I used the surrounding material, and not any of the gripping pads. The left button is perfect for me just as it is.

To answer the original handedness question for my 505:
- Original cover: left hand
- New lighted cover made for 600: both hands; mostly right with left holding the left cover in position.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #26
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
One of the reasons I'm still using my Zodiac for reading is that no matter how I hold it, there are always paging buttons in easy reach of either hand. Consequently there is never any problem finding a comfortable position for reading in bed. I'm most likely to page forward and back with my left thumb on the joystick if holding the device in my left hand, with my right thumb on the right shoulder trigger (to page forward) and hard buttons (to page back) if holding it in my right hand, or with left and right forefingers on the shoulder triggers if using both hands.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #27
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is one of the things that I just do not understand about the manufacturers, why they just don't think about how one actually uses their products. Any designer worth a damn should surely put more weight in this than is being done by most companies.
It is getting better though with ereaders like the Cybook Opus and PocketBook 360 where the buttons are well placed and the device can be flipped in any direction due to screen rotation.
Now they only have to get the buttons working nicely too...
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #28
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Thats exactly why I wanted the the PocketBook 360- button placement. It makes it very easy and comfortable to use with either hand. the top button is page forward the lower page back in either left or rigth hand and in landscape the right is page forward and the left is page back.

You can also use the D pad pushing left or right etc. But the best part is the Key mapping feature. If you don't like the default set up you simply switch it to the way you like it. So for left handers holding the bottom like the OP you can switch the page forward to the lower button etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pb360 left.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	38705   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb360 right.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	38706   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb360 landscape.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	38707   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb360 keymapping.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	38708  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #29
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hmm sorry about the bad focus. I thought i had done a better job than that.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Thats exactly why I wanted the the PocketBook 360- button placement. It makes it very easy and comfortable to use with either hand. the top button is page forward the lower page back in either left or rigth hand and in landscape the right is page forward and the left is page back.
Can you switch that? I would have expected the bottom button to be page forward.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote