Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kindle for iOS updated. KU access, GR integration, etc

Looks like a lot of nice new features!

http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/15/amazon...reads-audible/
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is the Gooodreads integration any better than the one on the PWs?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
So nice to just browse in the store for KU stuff!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Is the Gooodreads integration any better than the one on the PWs?
I don't know... they've done a great job hiding the feature and with my 1-2 minutes of looking around I didn't see it!! Haven't had much time to try it out yet (I don't really read much on my phone either).

I do see it in the settings and it shows that my account is linked, but nothing in the UI.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard

Strange... I think I've found a bug. I went back into settings and it now shows me as not linked. I signed in and I now get a [g] button on the reader screen when I tap for the menus. The [g] button takes me to a screen where I can update my progress and add a comment (choosing to share them on In-Your-Face-book & Twitter. That seems to be the only functionality that it provides.
Advert
Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I don't see any "book browser" within the app. I don't see anything different about the app, actually. I do see the option to link to Goodreads. I think I'll give that a try and see what happens.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I don't see any "book browser" within the app. I don't see anything different about the app, actually. I do see the option to link to Goodreads. I think I'll give that a try and see what happens.
I think that it said in the description that the book browser was iPad only. I haven't yet installed it on my iPad since I seldom use that for reading anything other than PDFs, but for that I use GoodReader.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My kindle app is on my iPads.

Oops, looks like one would have to subscribed to KU or maybe this feature won't show up in the app..?

Last edited by 49Kat; 12-16-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #9
twowheels
Wizard

When I opened the iPad version of Kindle it immediately gave me a dialog introducing the feature, and then offered me an option to open it. I then looked in the side menu and it was the very first item.

I took some screenshots, I'll post them shortly.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #10
twowheels
Wizard

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418711456.030393.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	132542Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418711496.937174.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	132544Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418711577.472890.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	132545
Old 12-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
twowheels
Wizard

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418712021.389151.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	132546Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418712028.576622.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	132547
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The Book Browser is iPad-only at this point. But in portrait it shows only 4-1/2 books, it is as if it an iPhone UI that's stretched to iPad dimensions.

It's nice for browsing and downloading KU titles especially, but currently there is no way to view and Return current KU borrows. So you still have to leave the app and use a browser to do that. And there's still no access to your Wish Lists in the app. That's how I keep track of KU titles that I want to borrow.

The Goodreads integration is similar to Fire, at least in most respects, but without integration with the Goodreads app (given iOS restrictions). But I'd like to be able to have more sharing options (Mail, OneNote, Evernote, etc.), as the Fire does.

There is still a puzzling lack of TOC (NCX) for some titles that show one on the Fire/PW/Android etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #13
49Kat
Fanatic

I've updated the app on my iPad mini and my iPad 2 and this feature doesn't show up in either one of them. The ipad 2 had trouble installing the update. It hung twice. I turned off all apps and turned the iPad off, then back on and tried the update again. The installation worked that time.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #14
49Kat
Fanatic

Canadian Apple Store...my Amazon account is with the U.S. site, but my Apple account is with the Canadian Apple Store. I do reside longer in Canada than in the U.S., so I am not going to change my Apple account over. It's easy to change my Amazon address back and forth, but I don't think the Apple process goes that smoothly.

For some reason, KU is still not available in Canada.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #15
twowheels
Wizard

Ah... I was going to say that it's working just fine on my iPad2... but I guess you've figured it out.