Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #61
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
iOS 8 has been a disaster for me on iPad 4th gen with retina display. I used to use Caliber to download epub versions of washington post, etc, and email them to ipad. No problem. Now, with iOS 8, wifi is much slower, it seems, and attachments in emails are almost unresponsive, have to wait 10-30 seconds for app selection to come up, and now I can't even open them in ibooks, or bluefire or marvin readers. Doesn't even show up in iBooks, bluereader tells me the file is "access is denied", and Marvin tells me it is encrypted.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems now with iOS 8? Any solutions?
I suspect that iOS 8 is having some problems with weaker WiFi signals. I've updated three devices, an iPhone 5, an iPad and an iPad mini. The iPad mini has problems with weaker WiFi signals. The only other problem that I've had is that the iPad seems to have some problem with the App store, so it won't download updates now. It's kind of strange since it didn't have any problems downloading the apps the day before. I think it was something to do with the facebook app.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #62
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll think I'll wait till there is something like 8.1 cause all the stuff I hear about 8.0 worries me. Besides iOS7 works fine so it's not like I'm in a hurry :-)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #63
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I suspect that iOS 8 is having some problems with weaker WiFi signals. I've updated three devices, an iPhone 5, an iPad and an iPad mini. The iPad mini has problems with weaker WiFi signals. The only other problem that I've had is that the iPad seems to have some problem with the App store, so it won't download updates now. It's kind of strange since it didn't have any problems downloading the apps the day before. I think it was something to do with the facebook app.
Could be. I think in the next little while I'll be inspired to try a settings reset and see if that helps, and if not, maybe proceed to a full reset, starting over. I'll report further here if and when I do it.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #64
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
There were many issues with Wi-fi dropping after the iOS 7.1 update. I had the problem on all my devices so I understand the frustration. Here are the steps that were recommended back then. You might try working your way through this list from digitaltrends website. Hope a network reset works for you. Good luck!

Quote:
Potential fixes:
Try switching Airplane mode on for 30 seconds or so, then turn it off and try connecting to Wi-Fi again.
Try holding down the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button until your device restarts.
Turn your router off for 30 seconds and then switch it on again.
Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings and then set up your Wi-Fi network again from scratch.
Try changing the channel on your router and check the rest of the settings.
Make sure that your router firmware is up to date.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #65
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I'll think I'll wait till there is something like 8.1 cause all the stuff I hear about 8.0 worries me. Besides iOS7 works fine so it's not like I'm in a hurry :-)
Sometimes it's a good idea to wait for a month or two. I upgraded because there are some features that the new version does that I want to try. I had been using the beta on my iPad mini for a while, so I knew that most things work just fine. I didn't have the wifi issue with the beta. I would expect that there will be an update within a week or so that should correct the worst of the issues.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #66
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
There were many issues with Wi-fi dropping after the iOS 7.1 update. I had the problem on all my devices so I understand the frustration. Here are the steps that were recommended back then. You might try working your way through this list from digitaltrends website. Hope a network reset works for you. Good luck!
Yep, I had constant drops and slowdowns in iOS 7.x on my iPad mini Retina and laptop too when I had Time Warner Cable but those cleared up when I switched to AT&T U-Verse. I thought it was TWC just sucking as usual, but maybe that was a coincidence and an iOS update cleared things up. Although it wouldn't have applied to a Win 8.1 laptop.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #67
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have now updated an iPad4, iPad Mini Retina and iPhone 5s. No issues with Wi-if or battery usage. I haven't found any broken apps yet. I'm pretty happy. It's really an uneventful update for me. Many of the key features aren't enabled yet and will be coming in later updates. Also most developers haven't released updates to take advantage of the new features. For example only a handful of apps have widgets. Unless you knew what to look for you'd think my devices were still on iOS 7.

The only problem I've had is I can't get handoffs to work consistently. Seems to be a problem many people are having. Only once have I seen the little icon in the lower corner on the lock screen for a Safari page. Also can't get call or text continuity to work.

Here's a new gesture that I found. Pinch in or out to open and close the multi-tab & cloud view that matches the far upper-right hand icon. Sort of similar to swiping up/down on a Mac touchpad while in Safari.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #68
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So far the only problem I've been having with 8 on my iPhone 5 is that it occasionally (maybe 3-4 times a day) sounds a phantom alert. It's the tone I have set for incoming texts, but when it sounds no text, no alert on the screen, no apps that appear to need attention.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #69
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I reset my network settings and now handoff works consistently between my phone and iPads for Safari and Mail. I also got calls to transfer from my phone to my iPads now, although I was told that the sound quality is terrible.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #70
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
For example, I've been using Bluefire reader. After the iOS 8 update, deleting an ebook from the library now causes the app to shutdown i.e. crash. Perhaps I'll try a remove and re-install of this app, unless someone out there has had a similar experience and I just need to await developer update?
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #71
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
iOS 8 is live

I'm loving the quick reply feature.

(For those who don't know, and care to, you swipe down from the alert, or swipe left from either the lock screen or Notification Center)

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-22-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #72
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
For example, I've been using Bluefire reader. After the iOS 8 update, deleting an ebook from the library now causes the app to shutdown i.e. crash. Perhaps I'll try a remove and re-install of this app, unless someone out there has had a similar experience and I just need to await developer update?
I've had the app crash after downloading a book to it. I would expect the developers to have an update for us soon.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #73
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
We heard some reports about crashes of Bluefire Reader on iOS8 during fulfillment and when deleting books. We have (after some long nights) identified the cause (iOS memory management is different) and fixed it. New update just went live today. Sorry for the inconvenience. We've been through 4 major iOS updates now, and this was the first one that introduced crashing problems. Was actually pretty hard to fix.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #74
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Weirdly enough, the problems did not show up (for us at least) in the developer preview releases of iOS8. Frustrating.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
iOS 8 has been a disaster for me on iPad 4th gen with retina display.
I'm curious to know why you would install it without waiting to see what the consensus of opinion about it was. For me, an operating system is just too important to upgrade without knowing what, if any, problems it's going to cause. I have no desire to go through the problems of being an "early adaptor" for something so vital to the operation of the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote