Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
If Apple produced an ereader no doubt it would be too expensive for most of us.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienduck View Post
I enjoy the synchronicity of my apple devices. However, reading for any length of time on an iPad or iPhone tires my eyes too quickly. For this reason eink is my preferred tablet-reading method. I would love for apple to create an eink reader.
I doubt that will ever happen. As Josie said, even if they did it would likely be insanely expensive. Apple does not have the iBookstore sales through iBooks to really support getting into the eReader business. Amazon has about 80% of the USA market for eBook sales, and a large portion of international market too. Therefore Amazon can afford to sell eReaders at near cost to entice buyers to purchase more eBooks through them. Apple's iBookstore just wouldn't support a discounted eReader, so we would have to pay at least 1-1/2 times more for an Apple eReader than we do for a Kindle. That would translate into very few sales. Therefore Apple couldn't care less about making an eReader. I'm fine with that though as I personally prefer reading on my iPad mini Retina to any e-Ink reader. E-Ink is rather low resolution compared to a good modern tablet with 300+ dpi.
Advert
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Newer e-Ink devices are way above 200 ppi these days with some as high as 250ppi although it is possible to go to 300+ ppi on them as well if there is a demand.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Newer e-Ink devices are way above 200 ppi these days with some as high as 250ppi although it is possible to go to 300+ ppi on them as well if there is a demand.
And it would still be grey text on a milky-grey/brownish background even at 300 dpi. Plus e-Ink will always be a slow as molasses and frustrating to use when making notes and highlighting. Meh...the e-Ink is dead, long live the tablet, or words to that effect.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I can't see them doing it unless they could add value in some way (to command a price and margin premium). I think it would take a radically different color e-Ink-ish screen technology. I feel certain they consider greyscale-only displays that also can't handle video to be inferior for their market. We e-Ink users know better but they are following the money.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
Random88
Random88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The perfect ereader by Apple would be:

1. 7 inches

2. 300ppi or higher

3. Include the iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Kobo and Overdrive apps making it possible for one ereader to buy books from any ebook store and check out books from the library

4. Audio books support

5. epubs, mobi (&and w/e Kindle format is popular), txt, rtf, PDF, etc.

6. Apps for comics and manga

7. Priced at $250

8. Expandable storage or up to 64gb of storage.

9. Front-lit display

But alas, it is just a pipe dream for any company to come out with an e-reader with above specs.
Random88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
I am thinking that Apple will use some of its cash to get content, will it be books or media for Apple TV ... Not sure but content is king. What Apple might do if the market is there is develop and e-ink app that is like the kindles, kobo et al. But not sure if the market is there.
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #23
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
E-ink killer !!! and ultimate pdf reader !!!

8", 10" or 12" iPad using paper-like low-power reflective color LCD like this one, that has been available for over a year now:

+ digitizer for pen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXu9jmTI2A

Priced 399 $ for 10" non-front-lit model and 499 $ for front-lit.

Amazon's answer next month, Kindle Fire tablets with Liquavista screen and pen, 20% cheaper.

Google and ex-Pixel-Qi director entering the race month later.

Sony month later.

Last edited by markom; 09-25-2014 at 06:57 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
With above 13inch Eink display I would buy.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There is no reason for it. For Apple to enter a market, they have to see a way they can redefine it and make money. And why...when the iPhone and iPad are great reading devices.

And as to pricing. Remember Amazon's original Kindle's were over $400...about the price of a new iPad mini.

If Apple did come up with a great color eInk screen, they'd release a special iPad edition with that screen.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote