Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
juanito
juanito began at the beginning.

Device: none
PRS-600 or Kindle2 - Best to Export

Hi,

I've been looking to get a ebook reader for a while and after thinking long and hard I have it down to these 2 options. Personally I think I'd prefer the PRS-600 but there one big problem.

I'm from the UK, but am in Japan at the moment (for about the next 6 months). I will be visiting HK next month though if thats a help? This may prove a problem when buying books and importing the ebook reader.

I like the openness of the PRS-600 but with many of the ebook stores locking out international users I don't know if I will have many places I can actually buy books. Also I would need to find a good site to buy the device from that would ship internationally and charge acceptable postage (and maybe customs too).

The Kindle is closed (and therefore evil) but its a well build device with access to an international book store and is easily imported. Its also opening up a little (pdf support). And .epub DRM is not infallible...

So erm. Thats my story. Please help shed a little light on the best ways to get my hands on one of these devices and some ebooks to go with it.

Thanks,
Jonny
juanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
The normal criterion is where you're credit card address is. Presuming the UK, the only stores I know that *won't* supply are Sony and B&N. BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise and many others have no problem (and there's Waterstones and WH Smith too, of course).
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would also add the warning that the Kindle store's book selection is rather poor, particularly for "best selling" authors, for people outside the US. With the Sony, using the open ePub book standard, you have a much wider range of bookstores from which to buy your books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
juanito
juanito began at the beginning.

Device: none
I heard that you could get around Amazons region restrictions by changing your region to US and downloading the book to the computer then transferring it from there?
juanito is offline   Reply With Quote