Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Why upgrade to EBL Ver3?

When I got my PRS-300 I installed the Ver3 software on an XP netbook, all was well. Then I installed it onto a Vista laptop and couldn't get it to work for love or money. I tried all the tricks from users on this forum, compatibility mode, etc... Not having had a Sony, I upgraded from a Bebook, I followed the threads and changed my Vista laptop to Ver2.5, problem solved.

So I guess my question is, why upgrade to Ver3? This forum is riddled with posts about the problems Windows 7, Vista and Snow Leopard users are having. I understand that people want the latest thing, but after using both versions I don't really see any "upgrade" to Ver3. A little fancier interface, maybe. Am I missing something? I read members saying things like "I spent hours on the phone with tech support" I would return my device before I spent hours on the phone.

I'm going to stick with Ver2.5 until I read here that Sony has come out with Ver3.5 or a patch, which will probably be right after hell freezes over.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrayman View Post
When I got my PRS-300 I installed the Ver3 software on an XP netbook, all was well. Then I installed it onto a Vista laptop and couldn't get it to work for love or money. I tried all the tricks from users on this forum, compatibility mode, etc... Not having had a Sony, I upgraded from a Bebook, I followed the threads and changed my Vista laptop to Ver2.5, problem solved.

So I guess my question is, why upgrade to Ver3? This forum is riddled with posts about the problems Windows 7, Vista and Snow Leopard users are having. I understand that people want the latest thing, but after using both versions I don't really see any "upgrade" to Ver3. A little fancier interface, maybe. Am I missing something? I read members saying things like "I spent hours on the phone with tech support" I would return my device before I spent hours on the phone.

I'm going to stick with Ver2.5 until I read here that Sony has come out with Ver3.5 or a patch, which will probably be right after hell freezes over.

Regards, Daryl
Have you tried DEP, to make it work under VISTA?
For me, this has been the solution.

I guess, there's mainly one reason to switch to 3.0:
Sony has announced, to cancel their own proprietary BBeB format end of this year.
They'll switch to ePUB entirely then.
You can manage your BBeB books AND ePUB within eBook library 3.0, whereas eBook library 2.x only handles Sony's format.
You can keep eBook library 2.x and use Adobe Digital Editions in parallel of course. But many may prefer, having a single application for all their formats.
I'm one of them for a simple reason: I'm sorting my books by date of purchase. When I'm manually adding my books to ADE, the actual date is shown, whereas EBL 3.x shows the file's date (usually date of purchase).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually EBL 2.5 does support EPUB. While it cannot authorize the Reader for Adobe ID, it can be done by Digital Editions.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote