Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
davidshoare
davidshoare began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
EBL 3.0 Mac doesn't like my Reader

I'm currently waiting on Sony to reply to my support email form query thing with something that's actually written by a human, but I thought I'd see if people here could help.

I with much glee installed the Mac version of EBL, but instead of it giving me full access to my Reader's files and the SD card's files, it's only giving me access to the SD card's files and displaying my Reader itself as "Error" and not displaying the contents of it. It still works fine in Windows but I'd obviously like to use the Mac for all book transferring so is there any way of getting EBL on the Mac to see my Reader? The Mac itself can see the Reader's memory as a drive, by the way.
davidshoare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I thought I had read that there was a firmware update for the 300 to fix that. Perhaps I am dreaming. Did you try "Check For Updates" while your reader was connected?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
I am having the same problem.

The eBookLibrary software from Sony will not recognize my reader on my Mac. All it says is Error.

Sony's support has not been very helpful, just told me to reinstall it and then when that did not work they told me to call Sony's eBook people on Monday. We will see what they say.
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Thought I had a fix but not really...

Well, I thought I had a fix but apparently not.

I was having the same error as the original poster. I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 and when I installed EBL 3.0 and tried out my new PRS 600 it would not recognize my reader, it just said Error where it should have said Reader.

I was finally able to get in touch with support by phone and they helped me fix the problem or so I thought. Here is what we basically did:

We uninstalled everything related to EBL, not just running the EBL uninstall script in Terminal or deleting the EBL icon from the Applications folder. We also went to the Library folder (under all users) to the Preferences folder and deleted 3 folders (fsk, Marlin, and Sony Corporation). We also made sure that my computer was set to "United States (Computer)" format [to find how to do this go to System Preferences -> International -> Formats and then set the Region to United States (Computer)]. There is another region format that is entitled United States... I don't know why but it was important on my Mac to have the region format set to the United States (Computer) option.

We then reinstalled EBL and then restarted. Before we restarted I turned my Reader on and connected it by USB to my computer. After restart EBL automatically launched and my Reader was recognized by the EBL software.

This seemed to have fixed the problem... but as soon as I disconnect and reconnect my reader EBL again will not recognize the reader. I have repeated the process of uninstalling and reinstalling but it just happens again.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this problem? This is my first experience of buying any produce from Sony and while I love the Reader Touch I am sadly disappointed with their software... is this really that difficult?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks.
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote